Best Faux Binding Method?

Hi all

In my upcoming PRS style project, I am planning to stain the top and body, then do faux/natural binding.

I’ve seen a few different methods to do this:
1. Stain the top and sides, then once dry, run a razor blade around the edge and top to scrape away stain, and go over with say 240 grit sandpaper to smooth out any nicks caused by the razor. I’ve seen people using a tool to get a consistent depth; a bit of dowel with the blade screwed into a notch at the top.

2. Mask off the binding line with pinstriping tape, and make sure to wipe stain out towards the edge rather than starting at the edge and wiping in, to avoid pools of stain that could seep under the tape

3. Mask AROUND the binding line, apply a thin coat of sanding sealer to it, then once dry, remove the tape and apply stain. May need to scrape the binding to remove any stain that gets on it.

4. Stain the top and sides, as with technique 1. But instead of a razor blade, run a router round the edge to create a slight chamfer (I don’t have a router or any experience with one so I don’t think I’ll try this one)

Do you have any experience with these methods, or others? What would you recommend?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments