Bleached bone sources ?

What's Hot
As I love to make as much as possible from scratch, and having cut a few bone nuts successfully on recent builds I am on the look out for a source of bone to cut nuts from.
Ideally a small amount that I can cut my own nut blanks from. 

I know I can buy them relatively cheaply as ready-made bone nut blanks, but wondered whether anyone has a source of suitable bleached bone they can recommend ? 

Also are there any man made materials worth trying too? 

cheers
Pete

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16650
    Offcuts of coriander from a kitchen fitter will keep you stocked up for a long time.

I got a stash of bone years ago when a friend was processing some cow bones, still working through it but nearly gone now.  They are unbleached, but I prefer that.  I keep meaning to speak to my butcher
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Thanks @WezV.   I do have a piece of Corian I could use - originally made to be a fret levelling tool, which I have since replaced with some polished granite , and sine purchasing some of Chris Alsops files. 

I'll have a bask with the Corian and see how I get on.   

Unbleached definitely looks better I guess - might have to speak to the local butcher too.  I've read about the boiling/cleaning process which seems a bit of a bind, but maybe its worth the effort. 

cheers

edited September 2020
    lol, just noticed it auto-corrected to coriander.  Im glad you understood D
    I assume you have seen this

messy, but a couple of bones will give you enough material to last a long time
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • moremore Frets: 230
    edited September 2020
    You can buy boiled bone from pet-shops. I prefer it to bleached .  The  colour is not the same , but it not as dry and brittle as  bleached and can be polished easier. I have never tried to bleach bone myself . Looking at the video above , you just need to put it out in the sun ? 
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    I wonder if unleaded petrol or even lighter fluid would do for the solvent soak ? 
  • Can't help wondering about the 'belched' bone....autocorrect is hilarious!