Bison Baritone build / a hello of sorts!

What's Hot
Hey gals & guys,

Long time reader / (almost) first time poster. I've been building guitars and other things for a few years. It is nice to have a UK-centered message board. The Americans simply don't get some of the problems we face on daily basis ("can I stain this neck with marmite?"). I am based in France now, but I lived in Manchester for a while.

Silly jokes aside, here's what I'm working on at the minute. A friend (and bandmate) wanted a 30" scale baritone with a Burns Bison body and a Les Paul-type headstock. We agreed on French ash for the body, a mahogany neck and a wenge fretboard. Here's the obligatory lame Photoshop mock-up:

He wanted a tune-o-matic bridge, but since we both dislike the traditional Gibson stoptail, I made him a bridge plate out of 2mm stainless steel sheet. The bridge is fitted to the plate via two M8 rivnuts that replace the original wood inserts.

Here's where things are at right now:

Most of the body is done. I'll be getting started on the finishing process this week. This will be my first time painting ash. I got some NitorLack water-based pore filler, we'll see how it goes. For the paint itself, I'll be using a can of Molotow Premium. I've painted a few guitars with this stuff and I must say it's really nice. It's advertised as a "nitro-acrylic" combination. In practical terms, it behaves like nitro is supposed to - the coats melt into one another even after a given coat has dried completely. Their clear is nice too. The cans only cost £4 a pop and they have 250+ colors to chose from. They're a really nice option for us European builders.

The pickups are home-designed - essentially, two mini-buckers with alnico pole pieces instead of the usual bar magnet / screws & steel blade. My mate wants something with a lot of bite whilst retaining hum-cancellation. 

Here are a few pictures of my last few builds, too:

(25" scale, douglas fir body, home-made tailpiece, home-designed single-coil with a Jaguar-type ferromagnetic arrangement under the cover)

(24" scale guitar and 32" scale bass, both with a walnut neck, movingui fretboard on the left and padauk on the right, two cherry bodies)

(gold laminate-top 30" scale bass in ash, wenge & padauk)

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16658
    I love the bridge plate
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I love all of it, great designs all round!!!  <3
  • epizooticsepizootics Frets: 6
    edited September 2020
    Cheers guys!

I took advantage of a nice warm day to get started on the paint:

And I made a bunch of dot markers out of UPVC, using a couple of £2 round punches as plug cutters in my drill stand:

Said dots on the neck...

Getting there!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow, nice work!!
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Love this! Thanks for sharing 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    This is great - really like those clean looking designs.