Amp re-covering in London?

What's Hot
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend someone in London who can take the old tolex off my amp and put some new stuff on please?

I’ve  had a good look on here and can’t find a thread on this subject (if I have missed one, please point me in the right direction).

I am half tempted to do it myself, but it looks quite difficult .

Cheers.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12325
    It’s not that hard. If the amp isn’t worth loads give it a go. You need contact cement and there plenty of videos how to do it. 

Getting the old stuff off is a bitch though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2573
    tFB Trader
    I don't know anybody in London that does this sort of work.

Its a crap job that takes skill to do really well, depends what the amp is and how much you are prepared to pay
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    edited September 2020 tFB Trader
    I don't know anybody in London that does this sort of work.

Its a crap job that takes skill to do really well, depends what the amp is and how much you are prepared to pay
    Yip, been there... done that (not very well!). Although I think if I gave it another go it might not look just as bad as my last attempt 10 years ago. 

@richalderandash does this sort of work and he’s based in Maidstone if that’s any use?
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    I just finished putting my 4x12 cab back together. The glue on old cabs if you plan to strip to a wood finish is a royal pain. I had help with the grill cloth. If it isn’t vintage, sell and buy new to spec?
  • Thanks all.

It’s a lovely amp that I snagged at a great price so I can’t sell and buy another unfortunately.

I’ll try @richalderandash ;

I’ve also emailed the maker which is Hamstead Soundworks as I assume they did it in the first place.

If all else fails, I will just have to grow to love the colour purple....
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12325
    This is the one I recovered which was first try:

https://i.imgur.com/NO6UStj.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Could be worth getting in touch with a few cabinet makers and see if they could take that on? They should have the skills. But obviously you'd most likely have to ship it out and back in, which could make it pretty expensive (although you could take the chassis out to reduce weight/risk).
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • Its not hard at all, certainly easier than spraying a guitar.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2573
    tFB Trader
    Do Hamstead make there own cabs? If they do I am sure they could sort it out for you
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    edited September 2020
    I re-covered my Cornford Hurricane head and 1x12 cab. There’s a thread on here about it somewhere. I thought it was a very pleasant job to do, quite enjoyed it.

• Thanks all.

It’s a lovely amp that I snagged at a great price so I can’t sell and buy another unfortunately.

I’ll try @richalderandash ;

I’ve also emailed the maker which is Hamstead Soundworks as I assume they did it in the first place.

If all else fails, I will just have to grow to love the colour purple....

If it's only the colour and the vinyl is otherwise ok, take a look at this vid I watched yesterday (the section on the timeline titled 'Chassis mods and colour'). Funnily enough, he's changing TO purple from the original black.

• Thanks gents, I'll have a look at both. 
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2092
    Don’t Zilla do recovering? 
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    No. I asked Zilla about recovering my 1x12 Fatbaby. Their comment was that it would cost as much to strip and recover the cab as it would to buy a new cab.
  • By the sounds of things I'm better of learning to love to purple for now.....

To be fair, I have a shell pink guitar with a matching headstock arriving soon, so maybe they'll compliment each other!

Thanks all for the input.