Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best British bands ever

What's Hot
Because I'm doing anything other than things I actually need to do I've pulled out @RonnieHotdogs suggestions for the Top 10 Best British bands ever from another Discussion if anyone is interested:  

1) Beatles
2) Stones
3) Kinks
4) Who
5) XTC
6) Small Faces 
7) The La's
8) Shack
9) The Jam
10) Supergrass

In terms of record sales it would be (according to Wikipedia):

1. Beatles
2. Zep
3. Queen 
4. Floyd 
5. Stones 
6. Coldplay
7. Dave Clark Five
8. Deep Purple
9. Depeche Mode
10. Dire Straits

I've had a quick go at my own list:

1. The Beatles
2. The Stones.
3. The Who
4. The Police
5. The Clash
6. Led Zep
7. Sabbath
8. Dr Feelgood 
9. Queen 
10. Japan    

[ rough mix of sales, perceived influence and personal preference  - quite hard not to include The Beatles even though I would rarely choose to listen to them]

None of this is very contemporary but then I guess in terms of having an influence and selling records when that was a thing you are always looking backwards. The idea of 'a band' also maybe had it's day as Adele and Ed Sheeran  would have to be on the list if it was artists rather than bands ( although that would also pull through Elton John, Shirley Bassey and Cliff Richard on sales).     
Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    A top 10 is impossible.

The Beatles
    The Rolling Stones
    The Who
    Black Sabbath
    Led Zeppelin
    Deep Purple
    Pink Floyd
    Genesis
    Queen
    Roxy Music

Just off the top of my head. All of which deserve to be on any list... and it hasn't even got past the early 1970s yet.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5416
    edited September 2020
    I mean, I guess this is a fun thing if you are talking strictly ultra-mainstream - my *favourite* British bands (e.g. Doves) wouldn't be near any of those lists despite being semi-popular, they aren't really in that 'legendary' category at all. There are also some other omissions like Radiohead & Muse (Supergrass beat both of those? Really?) - for example - that you might surely think would be on one of them... they aren't really super mainstream in the musical sense but they are extremely popular - if you can headline Glastonbury I'd say you've made it to that echelon.

So with that in mind -

Pink Floyd
    The Beatles
    The Rolling Stones
    The Kinks
    Muse
    Queen
    Led Zeppelin
    Genesis
    The Police
    Iron Maiden
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12352
    Okay can’t remember if as posted yesterday but

beatles
    stones
    kinks
    pink Floyd
    the jam
    police
    stone roses
    the la’s
    radiohead
    dire straits. 
    The clash, The Who, Clapton and cream  could all have made it. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    edited September 2020
    In no particular order, but probably roughly in this order

Beatles
    Stones
    Radiohead
    The Who
    Led Zep
    Oasis
    Blur
    Muse
    Queen 
    The Police

I did have Floyd on there in my draft list  but honestly 3 great records and a load of other stuff isn't enough. I've never really listened to Sabbath - I probably should. I like certain songs from The Smiths, Joy Division, The Clash and The Jam and I'm aware they're all very important but none make a top 10 for me
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Floyd would be close to top for me, Meddle, DSOTM, WYWH, The Wall alone would get them in let alone great moments on numerous other albums.

Never got Zep just don't like Plant's singing.  Queen were a novelty song band to my ears.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I can't do a "best" list only a "my favourites" list, not least because I don't really like a lot of the late 60s early 70s stuff that tends to be in the lists above. Not that I consider then rubbish, they just don't have any resonance with me and my tastes. Also I'm finding my favourite bands tend to be American, though favourite solo artists tend to be British.

I would probably go for:

1. Beatles
    2. Led Zeppelin
    3. Radiohead
    4. Queen if they had stopped before the 80s.
    5. The Kinks
    6. ...

Actually after that it's just bands I listen to a lot that are not necessarily grand enough to go on such a list (looking at Spotify I've got  Libertines, the XX, The Kills are half British, Noah and the Whale, Mumford and Sons)

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Whitecat said:
    I mean, I guess this is a fun thing if you are talking strictly ultra-mainstream - my *favourite* British bands (e.g. Doves)...
    Doves you say?

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/190182/i-entered-a-doves-recording-competition

;)
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4999
    Maiden
    Sabbath
    Purple
    Motorhead
    Beatles
    Stones
    Kinks
    Small Faces
    Napalm Death circa 1988
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780

It's too difficult to weigh up what I like against what's popular, what's "significant" etc.

But I wouldn't be too different from the 1970s-flavoured suggestions above.  Except I'd include Wishbone Ash.  Maybe Jethro Tull.

• Philly_Q said:

It's too difficult to weigh up what I like against what's popular, what's "significant" etc.

But I wouldn't be too different from the 1970s-flavoured suggestions above.  Except I'd include Wishbone Ash.  Maybe Jethro Tull.

When I was looking at the Wikipedia list I was surprised by how high up Tull were in terms of sales ( certainly top 20). I guess a lot of people in the U.K. would see them as a bit quirky, cult sort of thing here whereas they were pretty huge worldwide. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • The only way to resolve this is to organise a 'World Cup' of bands on this part of the website. 

I would be happy to do this in conjunction with other members. 

Just as a starter for ten, the initial group stage could probably be categorised by era or genre.

The 'group of death' would probably have to be the one for metal I think ;) 

I'd rather do it as a parlour game like this that encourages a bit of banter and debate, rather than 'here's my list of stuff', which is the sort of thing that gave Q magazine et al an increasingly bad name. 
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    edited September 2020
    I cant figure the love for The La's. I saw them live once after There She Goes came out and the set seemed full of turgid shite. Maybe i had different expectations from hearing the big single, maybe my taste was different (i cant honestly say i thoufht the material was better when the album was finally released as i cant actually say ive heard anything other than There She Goes since).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • The Shadows have got to be in the list. Great tunes. Fabulous image. Tangible influence on UK culture, and that's before we talk about their influence in pure musical terms. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Beatles
    Stones
    Queen
    Dire Straits
    Smokie
    Led Zep
    Kinks
    Shadows
    Sex Pistols
    Oasis
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Mine would be in no particular order

Beatles
    Fleetwood Mac 
    The Wildhearts
    Manic Street Preachers
    Biffy Clyro
    Rolling Stones
    Frightened Rabbit
    Hundred Reasons
    Idlewild
    Stereophonics

Purely on being a child of the 90's and not really extensively listening to much old school british rock or not liking it that much....an American Bands list would be way harder for me.

• blobbblobb Frets: 2944
    Soft Machine surely?
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11292
    In no particualr order

Beatles
    Stones
    Jimi Hendrix Experience (2/3 of them were English)
    Fleetwood Mac (Peter Green incarnations)
    Man
    Yardbirds
    The Move
    Led Zep
    Deep Purple
    Sex Pistols
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    The Beatles
    Radiohead
    Sex Pistols
    Led Zeppelin
    Stone Roses
    The Jam
    The Police
    The Rolling Stones
    Queen
    The La's

You can close the thread now - we're done here....
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • Sabbath simply have to be on this list. They created a new genre and altered our culture. End of story. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom