Help! Alternate picking fretting hand speed/ coordination

What's Hot
BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
edited September 2020 in Technique
I've been trying to practice alternate picking and have got my tremolo picking up to 16th notes at 200bpm.

The 2 big problems I have are:
1) I can't instantly switch to that speed from the off and :

2) my fretting hand is WAY slower, I can't fret notes at anywhere near that speed so there is a chasmic divide between the left and right hands and synchronisation is a real challenge.

Any suggested videos or exercises that can improve things? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WoodenheadWoodenhead Frets: 123
    edited September 2020
    It's usually the 3rd and 4th fingers that need bringing up to speed. Try playing on one string and a small group of notes/bar at a time.

I found this section of Machinehead's Halo useful for building strength between 3rd/4th fingers and increasing picking speed.

1st bar fingers 1,3,4
    2nd bar fingers 1,2,4
    3rd bar fingers 1,3,4
    4th bar fingers 1,2,4

^^^You could use different combos but that's how I'd practice it. It's around ~150bpm in the song but it's a good workout for the fretting hand!

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    One routine that always tightens up my coordination after a period of not practicing is to pick chromatically for example frets 1 2 3 4 using all 4 fingers both ascending and descending, you’ll find either ascending or descending easier than ascending so the trick is to maintain even volume and timing, trust me, it’s a LOT harder than it appears 
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    @Woodenhead thanks, looking forward to working with this :)
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 615
    What I have founds helps me a lot is just spending time picking upstrokes ...it seems as though that is most people's weakness....so maybe everything you play for a week use upstrokes until they are easy as the down ...then try alternate picking again 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom