Cymbals

So i've recently become a drummer in a band.. jokes on them that they haven't yet realised that i don't know what i'm doing.. i've been using their practice kit that they have there (guy said he paid £20 for the shells & hardware to give an idea of the quality) and there are some paiste 101's there too..

So it's probably time to get some breakables.. i'm not fully commited enough yet to get a full kit. I've got a decent enough snare, pedals and stuff..

but cymbals.. many years ago i had solars and like, which just sounded awful.. so looking for an improvment, but i really have no idea what to go for. Budget really isn't great at the moment, but being the patient type i have no issue saving/waiting for a deal on the used market..

Real question is, what sounds pretty good but won't break the bank? There are so many choices, you just go down a rabbit hole, looking at it all, all the b8, 10, 20 etc, this one is B20 but it's not as good as this b10 as some bloke has tapped it with a hammer a few more times... it's really a personal choice, but it's so tough seeing so much conflicting views and information..
There are apparently some gigs and festivals in the calandar for next year, so need somthing "good" but as mentioned, budget isn't there for the best :)

I'm thinking along the lines of maybe some Meinl classics? I don't know, pretty sick of looking tbh.

So i refer to the anecdotal knowledge of here.. tell me what you got and why you like it.. or don't like it.. or whatever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 395
    edited September 2020
    I've been through a few sets of cymbals in my time.

My experience is that once you spend more than £500 on a set of shells, anything more is diminishing returns - its all down to head choice. I've had a Mapex kit that cost that much and I've never ever wanted for anything else.

However, cymbals are a totally different ball game - you really do get what you pay for. To that end, I would encourage you to spend as much as you can afford on hi hats, 1 crash and a ride or crash-ride.

I started with Sabian XS20s (now called XSR by the looks of things) which are a solid mid-range cymbal. They're just refined enough to be pleasant sounding without that horrible clang of a bin-lid you get from B8 cymbals which may as well be massive 2 pence pieces.

However, upgrading will still benefit you, and once you find the sound you're after you'll never need any again. I personally favour the german brands; I've Paiste Twenty Hats and Ride and Meinl Byzance Traditional crashes. I really love the way they sound; great all round cymbals. Check out videos of Jost Nickel or Benny Greb.

My suggestion is to try some out in a shop and see which style favours your ear, and then look for some sets second hand. Go for the popular models (like the Meinl Byzance, or Sabian AAs, or Ziljdian As) as they're likely to be the most affordable on eBay due to their abundance.

if you go for a cheaper set, make sure its not the cheapest. Look at the ranges and pick the one below the standard - so for Sabian thats XSR, for example. I'd stay away from B8 cymbals but otherwise ignore the alloy type, ignore what people say and go and hear some in a shop if you can (which i know is difficult at the moment!)

Good luck!

Bonus kit pick!
  • vizviz Frets: 10690

I started with Sabian XS20s (now called XSR by the looks of things) which are a solid mid-range cymbal. They're just refined enough to be pleasant sounding without that horrible clang of a bin-lid you get from B8 cymbals which may as well be massive 2 pence pieces.

Rat Scabies, namedrop namedrop, told us to get a set of Sabian XS20 for my son. They’ve been fine. Nice shimmer. No clank. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3306
    Speak to Sound Attak.

https://www.soundattak.co.uk/

Good guys, sound advice and they have good condition pre-owned stuff, too.

My drummer's used them for many years and recommended them and they were
    super-helpful and competitive when we took my son to get his first kit. 

We were told don't skimp when it comes to  cymbals as they can sound really harsh and spoil your experience
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Thanks for the above guys, does anyone have an opinion on pst 7 / 8s or paiste Alpha's? I hear good things and seem pretty well priced. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    I have a mixture of Meinl and Zildjian's, more of the latter than the former.
    This is a highly personal thing but I like Meinl Byzance, Zildjian Keropes and K's.
    I won't buy the cheap stuff, having had a few of them over the years.
    It is a false economy, (again IMHO).

I'd be perfectly happy to play cheap shells (with good heads) and good cymbals, rather than play expensive shells with cheap cymbals. Buying used is a good way to save money but look for damage and key holing.
    You can often used cymbals at 50-60% of the new price.

Otherwise I try to only have what need.
    It forces you to be more inventive and it is less to carry.
    Hats (usually 14's or 15's), one large (20-22") ride, two crashes (18 and above) , no splashes, chinas or effects cymbals.
  • I'm a fan of the Sabian HHX series, Paiste Rude series, and Zildjian K series. Not a huge fan myself of the A series but I have recorded them a lot.

Last bunch of Meinl I recorded were harsh and abrasive in the room, but sounded FANTASTIC recorded. They were from the Byzance range and you can hear them here:

You can hear Zildjian A customs here:

Bye!

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Ended up with a set of Paiste 900, put in a bunch of silly lowball offers on them and mostly succeeded, got 14" heavy hats, 16 + 18" heavy crash & 22" ride for under £400.

Also managed to snag a Mapex P800pw pedal for pretty cheap.. which is such a (double) step up from anything I've played before.. 

All the gear, no idea properly applies to me now.. :)