Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Sony PS5 prices and launch date announced

What's Hot
wibblewibble Frets: 1097
edited September 2020 in Off Topic
For those that didn't watch the showcase stream...

£449.99
£359.99 for digital edtion

November 19th for UK
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17588
    tFB Trader
    Despite being more expensive I think the digital edition is a better deal than the Xbox as it's not hamstrung by a lower powered GPU.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    My problem is that sometimes I like to get collectors edition games, then I would have wasted money on the disc having to pay for it again on digital.  The difference would pay for the disc version of the console.

I think I will stay with the full fat.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    My problem is that sometimes I like to get collectors edition games, then I would have wasted money on the disc having to pay for it again on digital.  The difference would pay for the disc version of the console.

I think I will stay with the full fat.
    Bingo. I have no use for the disks, but I like having the physical case/collectors sometimes
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I don't get that at all.

I hate my house being full of plastic shite.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • I think preorders are starting tomorrow (17th), im tempted to preorder one rather than having to use the Argos stock checker etc...and chase one down like i did with the ps4.
    tFB Trader
    I'm keeping my powder dry for the rumoured 4k switch
  • Dave8Dave8 Frets: 244
    I don't get that at all.

agreed
    I don't get that at all.

There are more to it than that.

1 - I have a bunch of DVD and Blu-ray.  They are worthless but if I don’t have something to play them, they will be worthless and useless.  Even though I’ve stopped buying them now for about 5 years

2 - I don’t ever hardly buy games. I get PSN and wait for them to give them away free.  I haven’t bought a physical game in a few years.

3 - the games that I buy I buy on sale and I’m not going to be hamstrung by the media format.

Thats 3 reasons and I’ve not mentioned selling them yet, since I don’t really do that but I know lots of people do.

The collectors thing, I haven’t done that in a while, it could be because I’m over it or I’ve not seen anything I actually like but either way, I wouldn’t want to remove the option down the line.

£90 for the optical drive seems like a easy choice in this instance.
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1097
    preorder is up on amazon

game and shop.to don't seem to have updated as yet

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2383
    Managed to pre-order the 'full' version from Amazon - however, I actually would rather have the digital only version (which they don't seem to have listed yet).
  • I'll be going full-fat but buying 90% of games digitally. I want it as a bluray player, otherwise I'd have to keep my PS4 which is worth more than the difference in cost. 

Still waiting to hear UAE release date. Generally we get things the same time as Europe but I'm guessing it'll cost a tad more than the dollar price here. Probably AED 2,199, which is about the same as UK price.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • wibble said:
    preorder is up on amazon

Now showing as unavailable!

• wibblewibble Frets: 1097
    wibble said:
    preorder is up on amazon

Now showing as unavailable!

I've no idea how they're securing stock but this was the preorder notification email I got last night...

The Sony PlayStation 5 will be available for pre-order on Amazon.co.uk on Thursday 17 September after 9:00 am BST.

Controllers and other accessories will also become available for pre-order throughout the day. Stock is extremely limited and we expect demand to be high.

If you have trouble placing an order while the stock is available, or if we have sold out, we encourage you to keep checking back during the pre-order period as we may release additional stock.

We will make every effort to deliver all pre-orders as soon as possible once the PS5 is released. If you pre-order, we will email you with an estimated delivery date, however this may be subject to change.

We look forward to seeing you again soon at Amazon.co.uk.

Regards,

Customer Service Department
    Amazon.co.uk

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2383
    Digital version now up. Cancelled my previous order, managed to get the digital one. Worth trying again!
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    The digital only versions of both consoles is going to be bad for the trading games in market. Many youngsters (and adults) rely on being able to trade in games they've finished with in order to get a new game.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    underdog said:
    The digital only versions of both consoles is going to be bad for the trading games in market. Many youngsters (and adults) rely on being able to trade in games they've finished with in order to get a new game.

That's why it's cheaper.

There is no way it cuts £90 of the BoM.

It's the assumption that shops don't get a cut of sales and there is no second hand market.
    edited September 2020
    underdog said:
    It is also bad business for a retailer like Game or any shop really as that is the end of their revenue for that console.  They used to be able to rely on the customer to come back to buy games but now, they buy it digitally.  Each one sold is them signing their own death warrant essentially.
  • Despite being more expensive I think the digital edition is a better deal than the Xbox as it's not hamstrung by a lower powered GPU.
    Probably, but if the frame rates are the same, how many people will notice the difference between 1440 and 4K?  The jump in power required for 4k is massive, but the practical difference for most people will be limited.  Most things I've read rate HDR and high framerates as preferential over resolution once you get past 1080p.   I guess it depends on your TV, if you have a 100hz, 55" OLED it may be worth it, but for a LCD 50HZ 43" 4k not sure most people would notice the difference.

That said, perhaps the extra power future proofs the console a bit more.  Also Microsoft make a big deal of the series x being the most powerful console, so if that extra power is relevant over the PS5, then it must also be relevant for the series S at the lower end.

tFB Trader
    Despite being more expensive I think the digital edition is a better deal than the Xbox as it's not hamstrung by a lower powered GPU.
    Probably, but if the frame rates are the same, how many people will notice the difference between 1440 and 4K?  The jump in power required for 4k is massive, but the practical difference for most people will be limited.  Most things I've read rate HDR and high framerates as preferential over resolution once you get past 1080p.   I guess it depends on your TV, if you have a 100hz, 55" OLED it may be worth it, but for a LCD 50HZ 43" 4k not sure most people would notice the difference.

That said, perhaps the extra power future proofs the console a bit more.  Also Microsoft make a big deal of the series x being the most powerful console, so if that extra power is relevant over the PS5, then it must also be relevant for the series S at the lower end.

A more powerful console may also use that power for better draw distances, more ray tracing etc.

A more powerful console may also use that power for better draw distances, more ray tracing etc.
    But hampered by having to shift them in 4k.

Unless you plan to get it and run it in 1080p and hoping the software is coded for it to adjust and shift the processing power to other aspect of the game.

Which would dependent on the game.