Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Sony PS5 prices and launch date announced

What's Hot

Comments

• Despite being more expensive I think the digital edition is a better deal than the Xbox as it's not hamstrung by a lower powered GPU.
    Probably, but if the frame rates are the same, how many people will notice the difference between 1440 and 4K?  The jump in power required for 4k is massive, but the practical difference for most people will be limited.  Most things I've read rate HDR and high framerates as preferential over resolution once you get past 1080p.   I guess it depends on your TV, if you have a 100hz, 55" OLED it may be worth it, but for a LCD 50HZ 43" 4k not sure most people would notice the difference.

That said, perhaps the extra power future proofs the console a bit more.  Also Microsoft make a big deal of the series x being the most powerful console, so if that extra power is relevant over the PS5, then it must also be relevant for the series S at the lower end.

A more powerful console may also use that power for better draw distances, more ray tracing etc.
    But hampered by having to shift them in 4k.

Unless you plan to get it and run it in 1080p and hoping the software is coded for it to adjust and shift the processing power to other aspect of the game.

Which would dependent on the game.
    I don't know how the consoles do it - but many pro PC gamers turn down the graphics by a long way to get higher frame rates.
    Reaction time is far more important than how pretty it is.

Even on PS4 I turn off crap like motion blur. Doesn't help the game.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    edited September 2020
    Despite being more expensive I think the digital edition is a better deal than the Xbox as it's not hamstrung by a lower powered GPU.
    Probably, but if the frame rates are the same, how many people will notice the difference between 1440 and 4K?  The jump in power required for 4k is massive, but the practical difference for most people will be limited.  Most things I've read rate HDR and high framerates as preferential over resolution once you get past 1080p.   I guess it depends on your TV, if you have a 100hz, 55" OLED it may be worth it, but for a LCD 50HZ 43" 4k not sure most people would notice the difference.

That said, perhaps the extra power future proofs the console a bit more.  Also Microsoft make a big deal of the series x being the most powerful console, so if that extra power is relevant over the PS5, then it must also be relevant for the series S at the lower end.

A more powerful console may also use that power for better draw distances, more ray tracing etc.

Unless you plan to get it and run it in 1080p and hoping the software is coded for it to adjust and shift the processing power to other aspect of the game.

I don't know how the consoles do it - but many pro PC gamers turn down the graphics by a long way to get higher frame rates.
    Reaction time is far more important than how pretty it is.

Even on PS4 I turn off crap like motion blur. Doesn't help the game.
    It is common for PC to have all these features as the developer does not know the spec of the PC you are using so they have to do it  With a Console they know the spec of the console you are using so it is designed to run at an optimum setting, set by the developer.  There are recent games that allow you to change certain settings like FPS but they are rare and few and far between.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    Despite being more expensive I think the digital edition is a better deal than the Xbox as it's not hamstrung by a lower powered GPU.

It might be shipping a 4k signal to the TV, but internally the game will be running at a lower resolution that's going to be happening on both versions of the XBox.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    edited September 2020
    They are saying a lot of games won't be able to do 4k/60fps with ray tracing, but will offer a choice of 4k/30fps vs 1440p/60fps vs 1440p/30fps with RT.  I'm not super bothered tbh. I actually quite dislike the crazy smoothness that PC folks tend to cream over.

I'm also not remotely fussed about power of one machine over another. I'm buying a PS5 because I want to play its exclusives - Miles Morales, Sackboy, the game where you're a cat in a robot city, the upgraded TLOU2 & Ghost of Tsushima, etc etc. And the way the system architecture helps developers be more efficient with assets and that can lead to better experiences (R&C's dimension jumping, no more "slowly creep through this gap to hide loading" sequences, etc) means I think the PS5 will still be better for the sort of games I like to play. 

Also Nintendo are better than both ;)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires

• Ray tracing is nice, as is HDR.  1440 vs 4k, I'm not too fussed about.  Ray tracing brings an element of realism on water etc, it does add to the immersive element of a game.  I guess a lot of the 4k debate depends on which way developers go with the native resolutions, whether they are 4k internally and directly outputted, or run internally at a lower resolution then scalled up.  I don't know the inns and outs, but will they all look good?  Yes, compared to my original xbox one, which still looks pretty good anyway.

I like driving games so will probably go Xbox but honestly either would do. I could switch to back Gran Tourismo as that looks great.  Last of us is the only exclusive I'd really be interested in on Playstation.  The biggest reason to stick with xbox is my son is locked in with his mates and I don't want to pay for 2 subscription services.  Xbox also has flight sim coming so that will be good.

Whatever I get I don't need a disk drive, I've never owned a Blu Ray in my life and can't see a reason to, so I'll go digital only.  But I think overall the choice and pricing is great, from both companies. 

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    So are there any titles due for launch that make either Xbox or playstation a must buy in launch day? 

I'm not a huge gamer, but have been playing my Xbox one lately again. So kind of out of the loop.

• Ray tracing is nice, as is HDR.  1440 vs 4k, I'm not too fussed about.  Ray tracing brings an element of realism on water etc, it does add to the immersive element of a game.  I guess a lot of the 4k debate depends on which way developers go with the native resolutions, whether they are 4k internally and directly outputted, or run internally at a lower resolution then scalled up.  I don't know the inns and outs, but will they all look good?  Yes, compared to my original xbox one, which still looks pretty good anyway.

I like driving games so will probably go Xbox but honestly either would do. I could switch to back Gran Tourismo as that looks great.  Last of us is the only exclusive I'd really be interested in on Playstation.  The biggest reason to stick with xbox is my son is locked in with his mates and I don't want to pay for 2 subscription services.  Xbox also has flight sim coming so that will be good.

Whatever I get I don't need a disk drive, I've never owned a Blu Ray in my life and can't see a reason to, so I'll go digital only.  But I think overall the choice and pricing is great, from both companies. 

Yep, I still marvel at some of the 1080p stuff on my boggo PS4 from 2014. I reckon in our lounge we're on the cusp of 4K being noticeable enough to be worth it on a 55-65" TV, but I'm definitely keen on HDR and Ray tracing. Whether I'll actually notice when I have them is another question entirely, mind you..
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2406
    I'm keeping my powder dry for the rumoured 4k switch
    Me too. There's definitely some appeal to the PS5 – what it has to offer looks great – but as I've found with my PS4, the big open world games overwhelm me. I neither get round to starting or finishing them, and I tend to use the console for quick blasts of COD and GT Sport. 

Some of the upcoming releases for the next gen console look breathtakingly good. However, the the slick look of next gen consoles have perhaps lost the charm of what gaming is about. Nintendo have possibly found some middle ground in that regard. But that’s just my opinion.

Usually I am keen to have physical copies of stuff, but as I use the big boys consoles sparingly, and already have a standalone Blu-Ray player, I might be tempted at the all digital version at some point in the future. Otherwise it seems like it’s going to be Nintendo all the way for me. 
    tFB Trader
    beed84 said:
    Me too. There's definitely some appeal to the PS5 – what it has to offer looks great – but as I've found with my PS4, the big open world games overwhelm me. I neither get round to starting or finishing them, and I tend to use the console for quick blasts of COD and GT Sport. 

Some of the upcoming releases for the next gen console look breathtakingly good. However, the the slick look of next gen consoles have perhaps lost the charm of what gaming is about. Nintendo have possibly found some middle ground in that regard. But that’s just my opinion.

Usually I am keen to have physical copies of stuff, but as I use the big boys consoles sparingly, and already have a standalone Blu-Ray player, I might be tempted at the all digital version at some point in the future. Otherwise it seems like it’s going to be Nintendo all the way for me. 

The thing for me is that none of the whizzy PS5 or XBox trailers look as good as the recently announced Zelda game.

You can push as many pixels as you like, but it's all about design and that's what Nintendo do best.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    beed84 said:

The thing for me is that none of the whizzy PS5 or XBox trailers look as good as the recently announced Zelda game.

You can push as many pixels as you like, but it's all about design and that's what Nintendo do best.

The trouble with Nintendo is that the must have games are few and far between, my son has a switch and he played Zelda to death, but since he's finished that, other than the odd play on Pokémon there's nothing for him, until the new Zelda game.

Nintendo have always had a way of making it feel like you're waiting on the next mario game or Zelda game.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    underdog said:
    beed84 said:

The trouble with Nintendo is that the must have games are few and far between, my son has a switch and he played Zelda to death, but since he's finished that, other than the odd play on Pokémon there's nothing for him, until the new Zelda game.

Nintendo have always had a way of making it feel like you're waiting on the next mario game or Zelda game.

I'm still playing through Odyssey , BOTW, Mario + Rabbids and Haunted Mansion months later and Mario Kart, Animal Crossing and Smash Bros basically last for ever.

Once that's done I need to play
    Treasure Tracker
    Splatoon 2
    Mario Maker 2
    3D All Stars
    Mario 3D World
    Links Awakening 
    Tropical Freeze 
    Paper Mario

So I'm good for a while :)
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    edited September 2020
    underdog said:

Hmm... Ignoring BOTW and all Pokemon, off the top of my head all of the below are well worth playing...

Splatoon 2
    Super Mario Odyssey
    Super Mario 3D Allstars (from tomorrow)
    Paper Mario
    Smash Bros Ultimate
    Mario Kart 8
    Luigi's Mansion 3
    Animal Crossing
    Super Mario Maker 2
    New Super Mario Bros
    Zelda: Link's Awakening
    Rayman Legends
    Mario vs Rabbids
    Yoshi's Crafted World
    Untitled Goose Game
    Hollow Knight
    Yoku's Island Express
    Ori & the Blind Forest
    Sonic Mania
    Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
    Rocket League
    Ni No Kuni
    Okami HD
    Skyrim
    Witcher 3
    Doom
    and various Xenoblade/Fire Emblem/Monster Hunter games that I don't know in detail. 
  • beed84 said:

The thing is games are about many things nowadays.  I absolutely admire the way Nintendo do things, and whilst I agree they have plenty of charm and great gameplay, I'm just not that interested at all.  We have a Switch and it rarley gets used nowadays.  We've enjoyed Splatoon and Mario Oddesy etc, great games but the best driving game is a 2014 PS3 / Xbox 360 title.

So it depends what you want, you can have great gameplay and great visuals, depends what great visuals are to you.  If it's fantasy / cartoon, then Nintendo all the way.  If it's realism / simulation then it's not the bets platform.  The latter unfortunately takes more and more graphical power.

• As slick as they look a great deal of the design will be about heat management.
    Would probably increase product life if they could double the size of them.

I'll be getting the PS5 with the optical drive. I have far too many DVD and BluRays to not have a drive.
    And I like to buy used games too.
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1097
    edited September 2020
  • beed84 said:

Im pretty sure all the old ported games from the wii u won't look any better on 4k
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    tFB Trader
    beed84 said:

Im pretty sure all the old ported games from the wii u won't look any better on 4k

You obviously haven't tried dolphin.
  • beed84 said:

You obviously haven't tried dolphin.
    At the moment I find myself reluctant to spend anything on the switch at the moment.  Gone back to pc
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Im pretty sure all the old ported games from the wii u won't look any better on 4k
    They don't need to - all of Nintendo's stuff already looks exceptionally good because they go for "compelling art style" rather than "almost real-looking but really not"
  • Boom! Preorders opened here at midnight and I got one. Full fat with extra controller, charging doohickey and media remote. 

I’ve never had a console at launch before. Roll on November!