Logic assistance

What's Hot
So I've been using Logic Pro X for a while and I love it despite only scratching the surface of what it can do.

A couple of months ago I upgraded from my long term Mac Mini that I'd been using for ages to a much newer MacBook Pro.  All the applications, including Logic and the plugins I use, transferred across seamlessly.

I also took a backup of all my song files and placed them in my iCloud drive.

However, I can't open any of them on the new machine and I no longer have the Mini.

When I select File/Open I can see them all in the folder but they're muted in colour and can't select them to open.

Am I FUBAR'd?

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    Are you able to download the projects?
    I gave up with Apple when it got too integrated with the cloud, in essence, you didn't really back them up-if you don't have a physical copy maybe.
    Are the folders you see placeholders somehow? can you navigate to individual files?
    I can understand that Logic projects may be using links to files that are held elsewhere, such a large library of sounds included, it makes sense, sort of.
    Did you remove your authorisation for the old Mac?, so many things that can go wrong here.
    I hope you can get it back.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    Looks like they haven't been downloaded from iCloud and are being cached on the server.
    Can you show some screenshots?
  • If you already know this, then apologies...  Copying files into a folder on your iCloud Drive initially only puts them onto the local hard disk on the machine you copy them to. Then, over a period of time - depending on the size of the files - macOS uploads them to the Apple iCloud servers so they're available to you from iCloud. Is it possible that you shut down the old computer before it moved the files up? So you can see the header info but there’s no data behind it? 
    If you already know this, then apologies...  Copying files into a folder on your iCloud Drive initially only puts them onto the local hard disk on the machine you copy them to. Then, over a period of time - depending on the size of the files - macOS uploads them to the Apple iCloud servers so they're available to you from iCloud. Is it possible that you shut down the old computer before it moved the files up? So you can see the header info but there’s no data behind it? 
    You can disable that too, which I generally suggest people do unless they need to keep loads of data on iCloud and have laptops with small HDD's.

• HaychHaych Frets: 5616
    Right, thanks for all the replies.  I think I have it sorted.  It is unusually very un-Apple of Apple.

When I navigate to the iCloud Drive I can see the files as mentioned before, but they're sort of greyed out suggesting they can't be used, and they can't.

There's also the little cloud symbol to let you know that they're in the cloud and not on the local machine.  You can click that and the file then downloads from the cloud.

All good?  Not quite.  You'd think at that point the file would be available to use, but no.  Even though the file is now downloaded to the local machine you can't select it to open unless you close the File/Open applet and select File/Open once again.  After that the file is there in full colour and can be opened in Logic.

As you can probably tell I haven't opened Logic in a while so was quite discombobulated by the un-Appleness of this process.

But all is good again in the Logic world and I haven't lost any of my work.

Cheers all.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    Just remember to buy an external hard drive to keep another backup of anything you don't want to lose. It helps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Haych, if it is of any use, I use Logic X but I still have my 2011 iMac with Logic Express 9 on it. I could try to open a project for you. If you are interested, send me a PM.
    Haych said:
    Right, thanks for all the replies.  I think I have it sorted.  It is unusually very un-Apple of Apple.

When I navigate to the iCloud Drive I can see the files as mentioned before, but they're sort of greyed out suggesting they can't be used, and they can't.

There's also the little cloud symbol to let you know that they're in the cloud and not on the local machine.  You can click that and the file then downloads from the cloud.

All good?  Not quite.  You'd think at that point the file would be available to use, but no.  Even though the file is now downloaded to the local machine you can't select it to open unless you close the File/Open applet and select File/Open once again.  After that the file is there in full colour and can be opened in Logic.

As you can probably tell I haven't opened Logic in a while so was quite discombobulated by the un-Appleness of this process.

But all is good again in the Logic world and I haven't lost any of my work.

Cheers all.
    Yes, this is why I suggest you uncheck 'Optimise Mac Storage' as per above.
    It stops that from happening.