Speakers...educate me

HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15959
Does a guitar speaker struggle to handle a LOUD clean sound more than a overdrive distorted sound?

amp on 5, loud clean sound only........kick on some tasty mean overdrive at same volume........is the speaker able to handle one tone more that the other?
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630
    I would say guitar loudspeakers are pretty agnostic to power input until you get to thermal or mechanical limits and for a 100dB/W/mtr 12" Celestion say, that is going to be 'KING loud!
    This is allied to the myth that you have to drive the crap out of a speaker, i.e. run it close too even above its rating to get a good "tone" Not so.
    Yes, as power increases you will get more cone 'breakup' but we are talking sub mm deflections here.

Dave.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72254
    Hootsmon said:
    Does a guitar speaker struggle to handle a LOUD clean sound more than a overdrive distorted sound?

amp on 5, loud clean sound only........kick on some tasty mean overdrive at same volume........is the speaker able to handle one tone more that the other?
    At the same power output it will be the same.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I think an amp sounds better when the speaker gets in on the act. You don't have to beat the crap out if it but it's nice to get it moving around a bit.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630
    I think an amp sounds better when the speaker gets in on the act. You don't have to beat the crap out if it but it's nice to get it moving around a bit.

Well, that is "the received wisdom" but I suspect it is an effect difficult to untangle from getting the absolute level at the ear's 'sweet spot' ref the Loudness Contours'?

In simple terms..."Louder is always better" (as is more bass and more treble)

Dave.