Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Music room renovation

What's Hot

Comments

• duotone said:
    Well.. skirting is a bastard.
    Did you buy a mitre saw? 

I snagged a cheap-ish chop saw last night on Amazon (yeah, yeah, I know....) and it should come on Friday. I'll blitz through it all this weekend!

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Don’t mitre the internal corners... they won’t fit and you’ll be there ages trying to make them look good...

ive only got one scrap piece of skirt left so you’ll have to pretend that the bit of paper is another piece of skirt!...

cut one piece to length and leave the end square... place an off cut against the second board like below:

Draw the profile of the end of the offcut onto the second skirt:

So you end up with this:

Cut out that shape from the end of the second skirt with a jigsaw...

It will then fit snug as a bug and won’t matter if your wall are pissed (which they will be)

Use “sticks like shit” and nails to pin the skirts to the wall... fill any gaps with caulk...

you will have to mitre the corners around the chimney stack but that will be a doddle compared to trying to mitre internal corners...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    poopot said:
    Don’t mitre the internal corners... they won’t fit and you’ll be there ages trying to make them look good...

ive only got one scrap piece of skirt left so you’ll have to pretend that the bit of paper is another piece of skirt!...

cut one piece to length and leave the end square... place an off cut against the second board like below:.........

All good tips, my issue was I measured the length 3 times and always managed to cut them 1/2 inch short
    John_A said:
    poopot said:

cut one piece to length and leave the end square... place an off cut against the second board like below:.........

All good tips, my issue was I measured the length 3 times and always managed to cut them 1/2 inch short
    As the old saying goes:

”measure once, cut five or six times, go back to Howdens and buy another 4.2 length!”
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_A said:
    Well, that's one time too many isn't it?
    John_A said:
    Well, that's one time too many isn't it?
    After 2, I was an inch out :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    @poopot ;
    If you buy a Coping Saw (around £10) 
    https://www.screwfix.com/c/tools/coping-saws/cat9790017
    This is the proper method: 
    https://youtu.be/tQ21WE4KGfw
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    duotone said:
    @poopot ;
    If you buy a Coping Saw (around £10) https://www.screwfix.com/c/tools/coping-saws/cat9790017
    This is the proper method: 
    https://youtu.be/tQ21WE4KGfw
    I haz coping saw... when I renovated my house last Christmas I had to do nine rooms... skirts and arcatrave... much quicker with a jigsaw!...
  • Cheers all. I've got a coping saw and have been scribing joins already. I've got a chop saw that can do mitre angles on the way too. Gonna ram it in my pimhole this weekend!

Bye!

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2084

cant be as bad as plaster cornice....

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 

• Bout dem kerf cuts then?

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My number one tip for skirting boards: 

Call uncle Clifford, who's been a chippy for over 50 years. Have him come round and do it, and buy the wood on his trade account. 

He did all of our new house and studio over 5 days, and all it cost me was £120 on timber. He won't take money for the labour. PS...not a power tool in sight. Every cut was done with a hand saw of some kind, and his tools are all older than me! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • WiresDreamDisastersWiresDreamDisasters Frets: 16664
    edited October 2020
    The chop saw made mitering the external corners a doddle. I measured the angle of the corner with a sliding bevel tool, bisected the angle on the back of a piece of skirting, and then transferred the bisected angle to the chop saw. They're pretty flush after this, but my walls are not straight, so when I screw the boards to the wall I think I will do it in sections. Corners first, and then work my way inwards. That way my external joins will remain (hopefully!) flush with each other.

The profile of boards I went for was a beveled edge sort of thing, which made coping the internal corners a bit of a ballache. I think torus would've been easier quite honestly! But I got there. Few bits that aren't as tidy as I'd like, so going to fill them with sawdust+PVA glue. Fortunately I had one of those collector bags on the back of the chop saw, so got plenty of MDF residue I can mix up with PVA!

Tomorrow is about removing the radiator, putting insulation tape across the bottom of each panel, and then fixing to the wall. 

I think the external mitres I am going to glue together first with some mitre mate or something.

Oh and of course I need to fill and sand the kerf'd bay window round section.

Bye!

• Now today is all about actually fitting them to the walls! This will be interesting.  :#

Bye!

Now today is all about actually fitting them to the walls! This will be interesting.  :#
    “Sticks like shit” and a nail gun... 
  • poopot said:
    Now today is all about actually fitting them to the walls! This will be interesting.  :#
    Watch out for wires...

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • poopot said:
    Watch out for wires...
    cos that would be a disaster
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That was a dreamy joke!

Bye!

• Well, got all of the skirting on. Time to sand and paint. Did the bit near the radiator first so I could get the rad back on the wall! Should be 'studio-y' by this weekend!

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Well, got all of the skirting on. Time to sand and paint. Did the bit near the radiator first so I could get the rad back on the wall! Should be 'studio-y' by this weekend!
    Nice one, I thought I was doing well tidying up my rack wiring!