Recording a Modelling Amp.

What's Hot
Wondering if anybody has experience of recording a modelling amp, and what is the best way to go about this.
I have a Vox Adio Air GT amp,  and while it produces some great sounds, i cant replicate these sounds in my DAW ( Cakewalk by Bandlab). I know you are supposed to be able to connect this amp to PC via USB, but frankly im finding this a nightmare.
I have tried running a lead ( a splitter 'Y cable ) from the headphone out into my interface but that does not sound near as good as the amp alone......
Is there a solution to this, or am i trying to achieve the impossible ?....would i have the same problems with a Yamaha THR10 ?
Any help ? advice on this matter is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Do not use the headphone out - it won't sound very good. USB is the way to go:

Have you loaded the Vox driver onto your computer?

You will need to set up the Adio as a USB audio interface in Cakewalk to record

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    `You ideally want to be using the USB driver.

I've found the best result to be setting them up to send completely clean guitar to the DAW assuming they support that feature.
    That way you can dial in a really basic sound and just record the part and then put it into a plugin (I was using Scuffham last time) and tinker to your hearts content.
    That way you can use really cheap modelling amps and still get really great recorded tones.
  • Moved out of the classifieds...
    <space for hire>
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    I’m not in favour of recording totally clean and then adding overdrive. I play differently depending on what I hear, and how the amp deals with attack, sustain and note development. So I go direct from the AxeFX to PC using USB. The only problem I’ve had was latency. This was mainly due to different sampling rates on the two devices, which was soon corrected. There was a residual latency of around 6 to 8 ms. More if monitoring out of Reaper. So I played the backing track out of Reaper and monitored my guitar directly from the AxeFX.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Roland said:
    I’m not in favour of recording totally clean and then adding overdrive. I play differently depending on what I hear, and how the amp deals with attack, sustain and note development. So I go direct from the AxeFX to PC using USB. The only problem I’ve had was latency. This was mainly due to different sampling rates on the two devices, which was soon corrected. There was a residual latency of around 6 to 8 ms. More if monitoring out of Reaper. So I played the backing track out of Reaper and monitored my guitar directly from the AxeFX.

On lots of things you can record monitoring overdrive, but recording clean, or even better both.

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4436
    edited September 2020
    Others here will no doubt have more experience, but I've tinkered with my Adio via USB into Audacity and I found two things:
    1. I mucked about for ages installing and uninstalling drivers, but it was it was really glitchy and cut out every few seconds.  Turned out I'd connected it to a USB3 port on my PC, which it apparently didn't like; plugging into a USB2 port fixed things.
    2. If you're playing along to a backing track while you record,  there a latency which you have to compensate for - the time take for the sound to get from the PC to the Adio, plus the time taken for the guitar signal to get back to Audacity.  I solved that one, rather crudely, by connecting the the input to the headphone socket (via a 3.5mm to 1/4-inch adapter), then playing a click track in Audacity and simultaneously recording it.  That allowed me to find the time difference between the two signals; then there's a setting where you input the negative of that value to compensate.
    (Sorry if some of that's blindingly obvious, but it might help.)
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb