Recommend me a speaker change for Kustom Coupe 36

Picked up this amp at the start of the year. The clean channel does blackface fender really well, and the lead channel is supposedly more mid pushy and "Marshally".

However. I find the lead channel to be very fizzy, quite harsh and nasty sounding. So I was wondering what people may suggest regarding a speaker swap. FWIW I also find when getting gain from a pedal on the clean channel, there is a tendency to suffer the same tinny high end sound.
Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Does the stock speaker have the aluminium dust cap? I think they did those to imitate the looks of 60s/70s Kustoms. If so, almost any speaker with a cloth dust cap will probably cure it - they're notorious for bringing out harsh fizz from distorted sounds.

If you want it 'Marshally' I would probably try a Creamback 65 first, or maybe the Neo one if you want to reduce the weight a bit.

If you want it more 'American' or more neutral-sounding I would try one of the Jensen Tornado neos - they're great-sounding speakers as well as being light. They do three or four different models now, with slightly different sounds - the clips on their website represent them fairly accurately I think.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1430
    What's in there now?

Hemp coned speakers tend to naturally roll off harsh treble. Maybe something like the Cannabis Rex might work?

The problem you may find is making the lead channel sound good without ruining the clean channel.
  • The current speaker is the stock KEI one, which according to a Google search of the amp, is rather terrible.

A lot of people seem to recommend the C Rex actually.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.