Maschine MK 3

What's Hot
I have had one of these for a couple of weeks and having great fun. 

Anyone else a fan of the Maschine?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I was a big fan of the MKI Maschine, but haven't tried the MKII or MKIII, the ones with the double screens. I ended up going over to an Ableton Push2, but I often wonder if I made the right choice.

Bye!

• I've got a Mk3 Mikro. 

Haven't played with it enough yet but I like it a lot. 
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    I’m curious about its application. Could someone recommend a good video that’ll show off its capabilities with music, rather than a button by button description? I guess you have to be pretty good on pc music production beforehand. Or is it as simple as learning any other instrument?
  • lukedlb said:
    I’m curious about its application. Could someone recommend a good video that’ll show off its capabilities with music, rather than a button by button description? I guess you have to be pretty good on pc music production beforehand. Or is it as simple as learning any other instrument?
    Have you ever used an old school groovebox like the MPC series or maybe even the Korg Electribe???

Basically they're pattern sequencers at the heart of it. Pattern 1, Pattern 2, Pattern 3.... play these back in a certain order please.

But Maschine has a lot of depth to it that I think is cool. You can arrange patterns for sure. You can record automation parameters into each pattern. You can play melodies and drum patterns in real-time and then quantize them to correct your poor timing ;)

They're sort of one-stop-write-a-whole-song-with-this-piece-of-kit type things.... but there are many differences too between all of these bits of kit.

Bye!

• lukedlb said:
    Have you ever used an old school groovebox like the MPC series or maybe even the Korg Electribe???

Basically they're pattern sequencers at the heart of it. Pattern 1, Pattern 2, Pattern 3.... play these back in a certain order please.

But Maschine has a lot of depth to it that I think is cool. You can arrange patterns for sure. You can record automation parameters into each pattern. You can play melodies and drum patterns in real-time and then quantize them to correct your poor timing ;)

They're sort of one-stop-write-a-whole-song-with-this-piece-of-kit type things.... but there are many differences too between all of these bits of kit.

@WiresDreamDisasters  Sums it up very versatile.   Great fun but also great ‘songwriting’ tool.   Also a useful way into learning about DAWs and sampling.   

• BodBod Frets: 1286
    I've owned the Mikro, then the MK2, and I now own the MK3 and Jam.  With Komplete and other NKS compatible plugins it's great.  The ability to use different scales and chord sets is a great source of inspiration, and I love having physical knobs for adjusting parameters 

My only criticism is that NI's speed of development has been very slow.  We're still waiting for features of the Maschine software that were advertised on the box of the Maschine Jam when it was released 4 years ago.  I've heard recently that the Jam has been discontinued, just as said features are being released to coincide with the launch of the Maschine+.

• Bod said:
    I've owned the Mikro, then the MK2, and I now own the MK3 and Jam.  With Komplete and other NKS compatible plugins it's great.  The ability to use different scales and chord sets is a great source of inspiration, and I love having physical knobs for adjusting parameters 

My only criticism is that NI's speed of development has been very slow.  We're still waiting for features of the Maschine software that were advertised on the box of the Maschine Jam when it was released 4 years ago.  I've heard recently that the Jam has been discontinued, just as said features are being released to coincide with the launch of the Maschine+.

yes jams now unavailable - i am not too interested in the maschine + as the cost is high but i am quite happy to sit infront of the desktop to use it
    I've put up a thread suggesting the Maschine mk3 as a first instrument for a child to start learning. I'd appreciate if any of you Maschiners out there could contribute your thoughts as to whether it's a good idea or not.
    Here's the link:
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/190737/choosing-an-instrument-for-your-child-to-learn-and-my-unusual-suggestion#latest
    lukedlb said:

I briefly had the Arturia Drumbrute. As much as I am all about Hendrix, the Hammond B3 and chicago Blues, I do love me some Beastie Boys and Acid House. Sampling and creating dance beats would be great fun.
    No, I have no idea what a groove box is.

lukedlb said:

@WiresDreamDisasters  Sums it up very versatile.   Great fun but also great ‘songwriting’ tool.   Also a useful way into learning about DAWs and sampling.   

Yes, the composition side interests me too. I quickly tire of computer screens (even though I plan to spend a lot of time editing video in the future) so knobs and pretty lights might do the trick. I agree, it could be a healthier way to learn about DAWs and sampling.
    What about the Maschine+?
  • lukedlb said:
    What about the Maschine+?
    I am happy using maschine with the mac and wouldnt need a stand alone i reckon
  • Hello, fellow Maschiners.  I got this last year and started playing around and had some fun.  I then bought Komplete Ultimate to have access to more stuff (always more...) and now I'm in total overwhelm.  I simply don't understand how different plug-ins/softwares work or interact with Maschine and find myself trying to use sounds that don't seem to work in the 'pad' approach and it's making me feel totally fed up with it and like ditching it.

Anybody any suggestions on getting to grips with it?  Basic pattern building is okay, arranging not too bad, but I feel lost.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    Using Pad Mode requires adding individual sounds (samples) to each of the 16 pads in a group.

Instruments, however, are added to a single "sound" slot in a group.  You then use Keyboard or Chords mode to trigger it. You can add additional instruments to slot 2, 3, etc if you wish.  Pressing and holding the Select button then pressing a pad allows you to select an instrument and use Keyboard/Chords mode to play it.

Some instruments like Polyplex map themselves to notes of the C Major scale in Keyboard Mode, so you can simplify playing it by changing the scale to match so you can play on pads 1 to 8.

Not sure if any of this helps, or is even understandable?
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited March 2021
    I have quite a lot of different kit for sequencing etc.

After migrating from primarily using a Push to becoming mainly a Studio 1 user, I've actually found the Atom SQ, with it's DAW integration, to be astonishingly good. At lest than half the price of the Maschine it was never a contest. 

Very steep price for what you get. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    I have the original Atom, but does the SQ have the scales/chords feature of Maschine?  I like using that for coming up with chord sequences.
  • Bod said:
    I have the original Atom, but does the SQ have the scales/chords feature of Maschine?  I like using that for coming up with chord sequences.
    Yes. It can also set the keyboard setup to exclude "wrong" notes, add chorder and arpeggiator effects etc 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited March 2021
    I have a Mk2 somewhere that came from a well-known producer. I haven't really used it much since I got the guitar bug.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • Bod said:
    Upgraded my Mac, now the Atom SQ is temporarily a doorstop!