NAD. Boss Nextone Artist.

Finally pulled the plug on a Nextone Artist after being particular impressed with the feel and tone when playing one in a store about 2 years ago. 

Early days yet but its got a range of inspiring tones. I like the fender cleans and the blues drive sounds great as a lead tone. Definitely a minimum fuss amp once it's set up which for me, is a good thing. I had option paralysis with the Helix. 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• grayngrayn Frets: 880
    Congrats, it looks a classy combo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chickenchaserchickenchaser Frets: 24
    edited September 2020
    Had more chance to play with it last night. 

The Nextone channel is pre-set so the amp responds using the 4 valve type options on the top so that it gives the Fender type cleans on 6L6 and 6V6 and Vox tones on EL34 and EL84. The change is subtle but noticeable. The clean channels sound thick and warm but clear. Even on the 0.5w it's still loud for home use. I haven't used at full volume due to time of night playing so need to work out whether it's better to crank the channel volume or the master and adjust the other one. On each channel there is a tone switch, brighter tone on the clean and fatter tone on the lead. 
    On the clean, I adopted a clean boost which I found nicely controllable on the guitar volume. The amp had a nice slow attack about it and the tone was inspiring. 

Switching over to the lead channel, It can pick up from the clean boost to fairly high gain. I did find that there were some icy high frequencies as the gain increased but this tended to be as it was at the noon position. I can't remember whether the EQ could be set on the nextone channel but it definitely can be on the custom channel. I put a high cut in on the EQ at 8khz and it seemed to make a difference. On either channel you can set the boost/gain option on the amp. I particularly like the Blues Drive option, but there are a host of options from vintage to modern and hi gain. 

Using the nextone editor there are a lot more tonal presets from blackface cleans, AC30s and Orange options. You can pick one of these and then adjust from there before saving them as a custom preset. You can upload one of these to the amp  on the custom setting which brings in both clean and lead channel. Reverb options are plate, spring and hall and one of these is set to the amp on saving to it. You can choose from one of 3 delay options or tremolo but not both. 

Early days but I'm really liking this amp. It's very loud if it needs to be so can't see it being an issue playing live. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom