Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

A very enjoyable hour of TV - ToTP 1978

What's Hot

Comments

• Jilted John - the first single I bought.  Great year.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Airport is a well written tune.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1922
    ICBM said:
    Devil#20 said:

I've never understood, for instance, why hip-hop has been around far longer than any other genre ie. heavy rock, punk, new-wave, prog rock etc. It has no musical merit in my opinion.
    Because it isn't about the 'music' as much as about the words. It has more in common with the old tradition of rhythmically accompanied spoken performance that goes back to the ancient poets, than it does to 'music' as we think of it in the Western tradition from religious music via classical to rock, where the melody and chord structure is the primary focus and the lyrics are often secondary.

Sorry to be so pretentious ;), but I really think that's the more accurate comparison.
    I'd accept that explanation in reference to hip-hop if they actually had anything important to say in their lyrics. What I can make out, which isn't much granted, they advocate violence, gang culture or demeaning attitudes to women. It's not really universal in that regard is it.

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• Devil#20 said:
    ICBM said:
    Devil#20 said:

I've never understood, for instance, why hip-hop has been around far longer than any other genre ie. heavy rock, punk, new-wave, prog rock etc. It has no musical merit in my opinion.
    Because it isn't about the 'music' as much as about the words. It has more in common with the old tradition of rhythmically accompanied spoken performance that goes back to the ancient poets, than it does to 'music' as we think of it in the Western tradition from religious music via classical to rock, where the melody and chord structure is the primary focus and the lyrics are often secondary.

Sorry to be so pretentious ;), but I really think that's the more accurate comparison.
    I'd accept that explanation in reference to hip-hop if they actually had anything important to say in their lyrics. What I can make out, which isn't much granted, they advocate violence, gang culture or demeaning attitudes to women. It's not really universal in that regard is it.
    That's a pretty narrow-minded view of hip-hop. Bit like saying that all rock music is only about shagging groupies and biting the heads off bats.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader
    Boomtown Rats "Tonic for the Troops" album remains one of my favourite albums of all time.
    It was produced by ............Mutt Lange who did Back in Black and Def Leppard's big albums and was himself a member of City Boy (who had 5-7-0-5 as a hit)

and Kate Bush's The Kick Inside still gets played every week

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• If you thought 1978 was good just wait until you see 1979.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72246
    Devil#20 said:

Unlike Homer, who told stories of violence, warrior culture and demeaning attitudes to women...

OK, I accept that the level of art in the Iliad and most hip-hop music is on a rather a different level :).

But don't write off an entire cultural form just because most of it isn't particularly meaningful, either to someone from a different background or maybe at all. I expect there are thousands of ancient poets now lost to history because they had nothing memorable to say... and there's a huge amount of what we would more usually call 'music' that's total rubbish as well, right from the earliest classical period onwards.

The real surprise - which is what started this thread - is that there have been a few short periods when the average standard has been much higher. 1978 does appear to have been one of them, although I expect that if you listened to every record released that year you still wouldn't think much of at least half of them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3875
    My kids can't fathom that I could probably sing along to 80% of that list (with a bit of humming :lol: ). How times have changed (for the worse imo).
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Jilted John - the first single I bought.  Great year.
    I loved that, it was brilliant! My mum hated it for the language, which was awkward as my mum would censor stuff.

Freebird said:
    Airport is a well written tune.
    A great song, I loved the use of backing vocals!
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    the_jaffa said:
    Devil#20 said:
    ICBM said:
    Devil#20 said:

That's a pretty narrow-minded view of hip-hop. Bit like saying that all rock music is only about shagging groupies and biting the heads off bats.
    Narrow minded and possibly a bit racist
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1922
    roberty said:
    the_jaffa said:
    Devil#20 said:
    Narrow minded and possibly a bit racist
    I was waiting for that one. Where did I mention the colour of anybodys skin? There are plenty of white hip-hop artists out there too. So who exactly is type-casting people. Me or you? I think we should park this one before you drag this thread into politics. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• Yes 1978 year I left school, told Mrs M I could sing all of the top 100 bar four or five (get a bit lost with Darts as to which one is which) her comment “is that something to be proud of?”
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • ICBM said:
    Devil#20 said:

I do not disagree with above, but also think that Hip-hop and Rap are more subtly placed musically than they are given credit for.

When these genres started there were accusations of speaking over a beat - and even discussions at PRS about whether they qualified for song registrations (ie is it a song if it has no tune ?).

What occurred to me was just how clever many of the top line melodies are - very slight note variations that can easily become infectious earworms (some of Massive Attack’s whispered vocals spring to mind). In fact I think I learned to make my writing much less dramatic, and more linear as a result.

I also questioned ‘what makes a good singer’, when I realised that we just like some people’s voices, as they have character and resonance etc. Those lucky enough can almost get away with anything; as we want to listen to them...

I am not in that category, which is why I stay well clear of vocal duties !!!
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    My 1978 was more about John Peel than TOTP, which maybe had one a week of the bands that Peel would play.

The volume and variety of new music in those days was a joy. I don't know if things were like pre-covid but there was so much new music to listen all the time in those days. 

1978 was also probably the beginning of the end for "light entertainment" acts appearing on TOTP.

For those who liked The Motors' "Airport", check out the version of "Dancing The Night Away" from OGWT, it's different class. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    I started gigging properly in 1977 and so rode the 'new wave' as well as the now classic pop tunes. I was in a covers band that rehearsed every monday and picked 3 songs from the chart on Sunday to learn. There was no shortage of good material and as a training ground the bredth of style was a possitive bonus.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14181
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:
    The top 100 hits of 1978 - wonderful times for me!

PositionArtistTitle
    01Boney MRivers Of Babylon / Brown Girl In The Ring
    02John Travolta & Olivia Newton-JohnYou're The One That I Want
    03John Travolta & Olivia Newton-JohnSummer Nights
    04The Bee GeesNight Fever
    05The CommodoresThree Times A Lady
    06Brian & MichaelMatchstalk Men And Matchstalk Cats And Dogs
    07Father Abraham & The SmurfsThe Smurf Song
    08AbbaTake A Chance On Me
    09Kate BushWuthering Heights
    10The Boomtown RatsRat Trap
    11WingsMull Of Kintyre / Girl's School
    1210ccDreadlock Holiday
    13Brotherhood Of ManFigaro
    14BlondieDenis
    15CloutSubstitute
    16DartsCome Back My Love
    17Gerry RaffertyBaker Street
    18Boney MMary's Boy Child
    19DartsThe Boy From New York City
    20Althia & DonnaUptown Top Ranking
    21Marshall HainDancin' In The City
    22Rose RoyceWishing On A Star
    23John TravoltaSandy
    24Johnny Mathis & Deniece WilliamsToo Much Too Little Too Late
    25DartsIt's Raining
    26A Taste Of HoneyBoogie Oogie Oogie
    27Boney MRasputin
    28Rod StewartDa Ya Think I'm Sexy?
    29James GalwayAnnie's Song
    30ShowaddywaddyI Wonder Why
    31Andrew GoldNever Let Her Slip Away
    32Rose RoyceLove Don't Live Here Anymore
    33Suzi QuatroIf You Can't Give Me Love
    34Olivia Newton-JohnHopelessly Devoted To You
    35Frankie ValliGrease
    36David EssexOh What A Circus
    37Scott Fitzgerald & Yvonne KeelyIf I Had Words
    38Donna SummerLove's Unkind
    39The Rolling StonesMiss You
    40EruptionI Can't Stand The Rain
    41Jilted JohnJilted John
    42Dean FriedmanLucky Stars
    43The Bee GeesStayin' Alive
    44The MotorsAirport
    45Yvonne EllimanIf I Can't Have You
    46The Boomtown RatsLike Clockwork
    47Electric Light OrchestraMr Blue Sky
    48Justin HaywardForever Autumn
    49The Village PeopleYMCA
    50Frankie MillerDarlin'
    51Patti Smith GroupBecause The Night
    52John Paul YoungLove Is In The Air
    53GenesisFollow You Follow Me
    54OdysseyNative New Yorker
    55The JacksonsBlame It On The Boogie
    56ShowaddywaddyA Little Bit Of Soap
    57Electric Light OrchestraSweet Talkin' Woman
    58Electric Light OrchestraWild West Hero
    59Donna SummerMacArthur Park
    60Samantha SangEmotions
    61SylvesterYou Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)
    62The CarsMy Best Friend's Girl
    63Manfred Mann's Earth BandDavy's On The Road Again
    64The Brighouse & Rastrick Brass BandFloral Dance
    65The Bee GeesToo Much Heaven
    66Bonnie TylerIt's A Heartache
    67ExileKiss You All Over
    68SmokieOh Carol
    69CerroneSuper Nature
    70The Barron KnightsA Taste Of Aggro
    71ShowaddywaddyPretty Little Angel Eyes
    72Dee D JacksonAutomatic Lover
    73Kate BushMan With The Child In His Eyes
    74Leo SayerI Can't Stop Lovin' You
    75Plastic BertrandCa Plane Pour Moi
    76Sarah Brightman & Hot GossipI Lost My Heart To A Starship Trooper
    77TavaresMore Than A Woman
    78BlondieHanging On The Telephone
    79The Michael Zager BandLet's All Chant
    80LindisfarneRun For Home
    81Dan HartmanInstant Replay
    82City Boy5-7-0-5
    83HeatwaveAlways And Forever / Mind Blowing Decisions
    84WingsWith A Little Luck
    85Bill WithersLovely Day
    86Crystal GayleTalking In Your Sleep
    87RaydioJack And Jill
    88Sheila & B DevotionSingin' In The Rain
    89GoldieMaking Up Again
    90AbbaSummer Night City
    91Raffaella CarraDo It Do It Again
    92Bob Marley & The WailersIs This Love
    93Crystal GayleDon't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue
    94The SweetLove Is Like Oxygen
    95Hi TensionBritish Hustle
    96BlondiePicture This
    97Rod StewartHot Legs / I Was Only Joking
    98ChildIt's Only Make Believe
    99Ian DuryWhat A Waste
    100Yellow DogJust One More Night
    Look at that list and there is probably only a handful I don't know or can't remember - If you did the same thing for 2020 or 2019 then I'd probably only know a handful - Certainly big memories for me that year
  • City Boy - 5705, loved that song, a perfect piece of pop. Whatever happened to them?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72246
    I actually own 57 out of the 100 on that list - quite a lot on compilations, but many on the original albums too - which might actually make it my most represented year in music, singles-wise.

It was very much a formative year for me - the first three singles I ever bought with my own money were Clout - Substitute; Marshall, Hain - Dancing In The City and ABBA - Summer Night City. Friends in the year above at school had Parallel Lines and Tonic For The Troops, so I had awful quality cassette copies of those... done on one of those flat top-loading cassette recorders with an earphone that looked like a hearing aid :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I remember buying All Mod Cons from Woolworth's in 1978. It's funny to think that Punk only lasted a few years and then the New Romantics took over.

“Ken sent me.”
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22729
    edited September 2020
    City Boy - 5705, loved that song, a perfect piece of pop. Whatever happened to them?

The guitarist, Mike Slamer, went to the USA and played with the bands Streets, Steelhouse Lane and Seventh Key (all good stuff, I have to say).  He also (uncredited) played the guitar solos on the first two Warrant albums.

Singer Lol Mason went on to form a band called The Maisonettes.  He died last year.

ICBM said:
    I actually own 57 out of the 100 on that list - quite a lot on compilations, but many on the original albums too - which might actually make it my most represented year in music, singles-wise.
    I think I own 6 as singles, plus I had the ELO, Kate Bush and Justin Hayward tracks on albums.  I had the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack, but not Grease.  Just reading down the list of 100, every song pops into my head, apart from 4 or 5 - and I'd probably recognise them if I looked them up.