NGD Brook Taw

What's Hot
A successful trip to Coda yesterday (who were great!) saw me bring home not the guitar I originally went to try (a beautiful Furch 2018 OM LX) but instead this little Devon beauty...

http://imgur.com/gallery/0CkFKE6

A Brook Taw with Sitka Spruce top and East Indian Rosewood b/s. Ebony fingerboard,  headplate and bridge,  bone nut and saddle. 

The Furch had some stunning timbers - a gorgeous bearclaw spruce top and lovely Tasmanian Blackwood back and sides, and was very well appointed,  with gotoh510 ebony button tuners, and beautiful paduak fret markers, rosette and bindings...

... but ultimately the Brook (to my ears at least) sounded fuller, with a real warmth whilst retaining great clarity and sustain. Perhaps subconsciously the fact I grew up in Devon and love Dartmoor tipped the balance, or maybe it was the flatter neck,  low action and shorter 630mm scale length. 

Both are well above my competence level and will be for a long time,   but,  it makes me smile and makes me want to pick up, play and practice.

Andy and Simon make a truly beautiful guitar and Chris at Coda was really helpful and great to deal with.  Couldn't be happier... now back to some practice :)
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Welcome to the club, my Torridge is the best thing I’ve bought in a long time, string it up with some Newtone Heritage 12-51’s & you’ll never want to put it down. If you ever get done to Devon call in to see the boys at Brook and check out Jacks inlay work, truly stunning.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 707
    Cheers @wrinkleygit , and for the strings recommendation :) I go to Dartmoor quite often for walking trips so now have another reason, albeit I can see that getting expensive very quickly hehe :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow that is stunning Ben, what a gem. Congratulations :)
  • GTCGTC Frets: 263
    Congratulations - if it is anything near as good as my custom Taw lefty (which it should be) then you've got yourself a beauty. Like wrinkleygit , I would also recommend a trip down to their workshops in Devon if you can. Great people - great guitars.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4774
    edited September 2020
    Put it down yet? Didn't think so. I love mine. Congrats!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 707
    Put it down yet? Didn't think so.
    Hehe only to sleep,  but I'm awake again now... (cracks case hinges...)
  • icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 368
    I sold my Brook Torridge - That was a mistake