pickup covers question

What's Hot
hi all,

a friend of mine bought a les paul type guitar. the pickups are weak and wish to change them. the pickups have covers on them.

can he just get normal uncovered pickups and fit them into the covers?

thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    It’s much easier to get replacement covered pickups if that’s what he wants. Or just use uncovered pickups.

Humbucker covers vary in polepiece spacing which means they may well not fit, and it’s not as easy as you may think to remove the covers, and especially not to fit them to the new pickups.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • finest1 said:
    the pickups are weak
    Define “weak”.

Plenty of LP-type guitars manage perfectly well on relatively low resistance wind humbuckers or P90s because the real power of the design lies in its materials and construction. 

On a budget lookalike guitar, even replacing a plastic top nut with one made of bone or synthetic material can improve mechanical sustain.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Has he experimented with adjusting the height of the pickups. Could make all the difference
  • thanks for your replies, i'll pass the information on to him