P/U 3-Way Rotary Switch Wiring Help

What's Hot
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience wiring a 3-way rotary switch as a pickup selector? I have two humbuckers with 4 conductor connector wire and am looking to wire a 3 position rotary switch in a simple Bridge/Bridge+Neck/Neck configuration. I have one volume control and no tone control, with a 4P3T rotary switch in place of the tone. There is no outer casing on the rotary switch I have, so I am able to see how the inner poles connect to the outer lugs. Would anybody be able to help me come up with a wiring schematic? I'd be comfortable with the soldering, but would like some help with the wiring on the rotary switch, as well as where to wire to ground. The original wiring I removed was for an H-S-H setup on an Ibanez SV5470, with a push-pull on the volume, and a ground wire going to the bridge from the side of the volume pot I think. I'd like a more simple setup, but assume I would need to replicate some of the original grounding.

The 4P3T rotary switch I have is an Alpha SR25114-0403, specs here: https://www.mouser.co.uk/datasheet/2/13/R2511F-1522283.pdf

Many thanks in advance

Edward
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    tFB Trader
    You only need two poles of the switch and you can wire them like a standard Telecaster 3-way.

Just connect all your earth wires to the back of the volume pot as normal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    If it has four poles, there will be four terminals in an inner ring - connect two of these to the volume control. Then connect the pickups each to the two terminals in the outer ring which are in contact with these in each position you need, they will be next to each other.

If you want increased reliability and possibly slightly reduced switching noise, you can duplicate this using the remaining two poles (ie connect all four inner terminals to the volume, and four terminals each to the pickups), but that’s not strictly necessary.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom