Table Saw sled for edge jointing ?

As I don't own or have space for a decent jointer I'm in the process of building a sliding table saw sled to use as an edge jointer for making up body blanks and edging neck blanks. 

Plan is to use a sliding sled with hold down toggle clamps to hold the workpieces 

I have a dewalt 745 table saw and am going to try a freud fine cut blade to see if I can get close to a finished edge to do neck laminates and body jointing.

My alternative plan if this doesn't make good enough finished edges is to make up a router table fence with a 1mm thicker outfeed and use a 2" bit to do the edge planing.  

Does anyone else use either type of set up, and if so any tips ? 

cheers
Pete
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• moremore Frets: 230
    edited September 2020
    Hi
     Your table saw is a good make  , but ,  don't take this  personally , a bit on the small side . Anyway, I used MDF for making  sliding tables , but getting the runners to run in the slots is the hard part  . They need to fit exactly, but still  able to slide over smoothly. I used strips of maple glued to the underside of the table . 
    A router will do the Job as well . You  can make a router table . But you can buy one cheaply , for light use . The router bits are expensive and need to be sharp . So I would go with the saw. 
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    cheers @more ;

- I already have the router table made by mounting a trend router in one of my benches - a 40mm laminated worktop. 

Got a 50mm has inch Wealden shear bit which I think would work. 

I'll try the table saw sled ( have made one with mdf and polished oak runners, and waiting for the toggle clamps to arrive. 
    I'll probably try both ways and update on progress ( or lack of !! ) 

yep - agreed - the DW745 isn't deal but I'm so limited on space its all I can use until I get a larger workshop. 
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2607
    tFB Trader
    I use a huge table saw at work and we have a jointer so havent had to make any jigs for that or anything..
    But your post reminded me of this video I saw if you want a smoother finish.. Cant say I have ever tried it myself though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkqT-P9pxek
  • How about a shooting board plane?
    Yep - I’d probably use a shooting board for thin boards but I’m thinking of how best to do thick stuff.   I ought to knock together a decent shooting board as you suggest though.  
  • Coincedently I'm half way thought making a cross cut sled for my Dewalt 745 table saw. cutting the runners was a faf, but it's done now (after 3 attempts) I have a pair with zero lateral movement. This weekend I hope to attached fence and use the 5 cut method for fine alignment. 

Worth doing.  I made a cross cut for mine as soon as I got it and while it hasn’t been needed for any of the guitar build stuff it’s great for making perfectly square cuts.  Using the 5 cut method and shimming the fence you can get it perfectly square.   I like the DW745 a lot - a versatile saw in a smallish footprint.