Selling on Gumtree

What's Hot
Just listed a guitar on gumtree (also listed here) and within few minutes someone has offered to pay me via PayPal and wants my address to collect. Im just a bit surprised how quick someone is offering to buy it and without any further questions, haven't really sold much on Gumtree so any scams i should be weary of?. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6598
    Tell them if they want to collect then they have to bring cash. You'll never hear from them again. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • merlin said:
    Tell them if they want to collect then they have to bring cash. You'll never hear from them again. 
    Yeah good plan, thanks 
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1171
    paypal and collections are not a good idea! If you search this forum, you'll also find out that even paypal friend and family and collection is not a good idea. Either sell it using paypal service and register the shipping there, so paypal has proof that it was shipped or ask buyer to pay cash.
  • Dave8Dave8 Frets: 241
    Really? I’ll have to take a look at the old posts.. I didn’t think a PayPal friend and family payment could be problematic. 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    I've sold loads of stuff on Gumtree and always insist on Cash on Collection.
    Lots of buyers say, "I'll pay by PayPal and send a courier" but I refuse to entertain them.
    If they genuinely want what you're selling, they'll turn up with cash.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    Ask them to bring their sister when they come to collect... you’ll never hear another word from them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 6953
    Dave8 said:
    Really? I’ll have to take a look at the old posts.. I didn’t think a PayPal friend and family payment could be problematic. 
    It can be.  If a credit or debit card is used to find the PayPal transfer, the buyer can claim a chargeback as an unauthorised payment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Its always a scam - especially spoon after you post an ad. I've sold loads over gumtree and had dozens of these. Another one (if you provide your mobile number) is similar message through WhatsApp- and its always some "jessica" with a lovely picture willing to pay asking price + shipping costs via PayPal. Waste of your time - just ask for cash on collection mate.
  • I sell a few bits on Gumtree too.  In my listings I always finish with "First come, first served."  Tells people that I won't keep it for them on a promise of a purchase.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I've always found gumtree the easiest place to sell. I always ask for cash, I had one young lad buying an amp and said he'd bank transfer me the money while he was at my house, I said it's ok I will drive you to a cash point. If they are there in person I want to be paid in cash.
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1171
    edited September 2020
    Dave8 said:
    PPG can be cancelled from the credit card issuer's side. Effectively this will leave you without the item you sold or the money.
  • Gumtree is usually fine, but you do now seen to get s couple of nearly instant buyers. These tend to be the perfect buyers, we'll pay you now and send a courier etc. Also they tend to have profiles which tend to make you think they are not guitar players! I just ignore these. Real buyers will usually start messaging you in a couple of hours of days.
    Also don't respond to text messages with emails. 
  • @designerseye88   I am also interested in your item, and am ready to pay the full asking price. Please consider it sold. Unfortunately I have recently lost all my limbs in a freak ice skating accident and will be unable to pick up in person, but my agent will be sent to collect. Please reply with your Paypal details and pick up location so I can arrange payment and inform courier for collection.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    CloudNine said:
    @designerseye88   I am also interested in your item, and am ready to pay the full asking price. Please consider it sold. Unfortunately I have recently lost all my limbs in a freak ice skating accident and will be unable to pick up in person, but my agent will be sent to collect. Please reply with your Paypal details and pick up location so I can arrange payment and inform courier for collection.
    ^ Yeah, this shit. Ignore. Reporting to Gumtree won't help. 
    People with sick parents, people who are sick, people who give you email addresses (usually female names) people who say they'll send a courier, people who immediately will pay the asking price, people who ask "is this still available"? 30 seconds after the ad goes up....

F**k 'em all. 
  • CloudNine said:
    @designerseye88   I am also interested in your item, and am ready to pay the full asking price. Please consider it sold. Unfortunately I have recently lost all my limbs in a freak ice skating accident and will be unable to pick up in person, but my agent will be sent to collect. Please reply with your Paypal details and pick up location so I can arrange payment and inform courier for collection.
    sounds genuine to me...... especially the way they never say what the item is 
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2034
    Just had one myself, juvenile responses I know but it’s the lockdown boredom

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom