Tone King Falcon Grande Speaker Swap

skippy76skippy76 Frets: 616
Morning all,

Has anyone tried a different speaker in the TK FG? Not much info on the net that I can find.

An interesting one as it has the three different voicings, so speakers best ‘suited” To BF circuits may not be as “good” for the tweedy circuit. 

Or am I over thinking it! 

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rlwrlw Frets: 4694
    I put a Jensen C10Q in my Falcon and it seemed to work on all three circuits.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • Thanks mate good to know :+1: 
  • I have a 12 inch Celestion Alnico Cream that I’m looking at trying
  • skippy76skippy76 Frets: 616
    Quick Update, Ive been running the 12inch Celestion Alnico Cream in this for a week now and I’m finding it has quite a bit more low end.

You can really notice the difference when using the neck pickup (strat or LP), The FG doesn’t have individual Treble, Mid and Bass controls so its not that easier to dial back the bass (the single tone control affects top end as well). A pedal EQ would probably do the job I think.

Its not a bad pairing but I prefer the stock speaker for my set up. I’ll be trying other options so will update then.
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    Yes, that’s certainly a feature of the Falcon Grande. I got my old one back this week (the one I sold to you - I missed it) and although I love it, it can get overly bassy with one or two guitars, particularly a P90 equipped ES175 that I have.

I’m thinking that an EQ might be the answer. Or more amps, of course.  :)
    Call me Dave.
    Good to hear its back in safe hands Dave, I ended up with a Turquoise one :+1: 

Its really noticeable when I A/B it against my 66 Showmaster (FG on Blackface channel), the Showmaster is super bright in comparison.

Both of them running together sounds bloody insane though!!  Really compliment each other and deliver a really full Tonal spectrum. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    Perhaps a 25watt celestion? 
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    @skippy76 - I ended up buying an EQ pedal and tried it today. A couple of my archtops are vintage and can get a bit thumpy, and the EQ pedal has done the trick. Problem solved for not much money
    Call me Dave.
    Good call @db1 I’m using the eq on one of my preamp pedals to dial back the low end a little.

For me it’s only apparent when I use it at home (and then only with two of my guitars), when I take it to jams with the band it sits really well in the mix. So not an issue really :+1: