Advice on getting an original 1957/8 P90 for a mint 1957 LP junior

What's Hot
MikeCMikeC Frets: 450
So I've recently acquired a pretty mint 1957 LP junior and I've just had it set up beautifully and valued by Stairway to Kevin in Denmark Street (lovely chap). He's noted that the guitar is the cleanest one he's ever seen (and a little bit cleaner - including the useless cardboard case - than the one on David Pym's website for a rather over priced £8,950).

However, very annoyingly, it turns out that the pickup (reading 7.6k ohm), whilst original, has been rewound, and in Kevin's view the guitar would be worth even more with an original P90 (from 1957, or maybe 1958 as they were identical?) that hasn't been rewound.

What do people think? Is it worth going down this rabbit hole? And what sort of price are they - say £400 for the pickup and I'd get back £200 for the rewound one?

If it's a good idea, anyone know of one for sale?   
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1391
    edited September 2020
    IMO only worth doing if you are planning on selling the guitar and want to maximise its value. It sounds like a fantastic guitar.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    Does the guitar sound good or are you just doing this for the sake of getting everything original? 
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3288
    tFB Trader
    I'd try and compare it to another original one first 

You might be looking at £500 for another clean original p90 and I'd want to know where it came from too
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Doesn’t a replacement pickup make it less original..? I get that a future buyer wouldn’t know, but..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• This thread needs pics! 

If it sounds good to you as is, I wouldn’t touch it - you could go to a lot of trouble for no real benefit. What’s to say a vintage pickup will sound better it could also be close to needing a repair? 

I’ve got a ‘58 P90 in my junior replica and I bet if did some sound bytes only half the forum could pick it out over a modern P90. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • MikeCMikeC Frets: 450
    edited September 2020
    I got it as part of a trade for a LP replica I had - and the owner was selling it as the executor for his late friend who bought it from vintage and rare in denmark st in 2008 for £12.5k!!

.  I'm torn between keeping it as an investment (hard to find another one like it), but ideally something I can play (but probably not gig)....thanks for the ideas.... will have a ponder and see what Yuuki may have ...

picture below....

https://imgur.com/l7W98R7.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    edited September 2020
    You could always wait until the right replacement pickup comes along. Buy it, store it and then decide if putting it in affects the resale value if and when that time comes? 

I doubt you’d lose anything long term doing that. 

Edit: Lovely guitar by the way  =)

Previously known as stevebrum
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18667
    I'd reckon that if the installed pickup was original but rewound, then why not get it it professionally rewound to original specs (whatever they might be...).
    That way the guitar is as original as it can be, but with an honest back story.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16654
    I'd reckon that if the installed pickup was original but rewound, then why not get it it professionally rewound to original specs (whatever they might be...).
    That way the guitar is as original as it can be, but with an honest back story.
    I would agree. depending what made it an obvious rewind at the moment.

If its  a full rewind i would get it done to proper vintage specs .   it shouldn't cost too much in the grand scheme of things, and  a rewind to vintage specs will be an easier sell than one with the wrong spec.   Takes the pressure off finding an original, but nothing to stop you keeping your eyes open for it.
  • jhumberjhumber Frets: 238
    usedtobe said:
    Doesn’t a replacement pickup make it less original..? I get that a future buyer wouldn’t know, but..
    A future buyer certainly should know that, if they pause to take a look inside the control cavity and see new solder joints.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72246
    Do you like the sound of it?

I would leave it if it sounds good. Most old pickups will probably die anyway at some point in the next fifty or a hundred years and then they'll all be rewinds and it won't affect the value any more.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22727

I can't offer any useful opinions, but that's an amazingly clean looking guitar!

Makes me feel a bit silly having an aged Custom Shop one which looks like it's been buried in a peat bog.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5004
    edited September 2020
    Does the guitar sound good or are you just doing this for the sake of getting everything original? 
    It wouldn’t be the ‘original’ P90 though if it was a replacement, it would be ‘period correct’ with obvious modern solder joints. ‘Period correct’ is that worrying term some vintage dealers use, meaning one or more replaced parts. Mind you, it can be tricky if not impossible to tell original parts from period replacements - which makes any vintage Fender a minefield! 

If the current pickup is the original one to the guitar I’d keep that and maybe get it rewound to vintage specs - but only rewind it if there’s something wrong with it or it doesn’t sound good. If there’s nothing wrong with the current pickup and through an amp the guitar sounds like a good 50s Junior should, why change anything?
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jhumber said:
    usedtobe said:
    A future buyer certainly should know that, if they pause to take a look inside the control cavity and see new solder joints.
    Presumably there are new solder joints anyway – the original pickup having already been rewound.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72246
    idiotwindow said:

Presumably there are new solder joints anyway – the original pickup having already been rewound.
    If it was done really carefully by someone who cares about these things, it could have been undone at the coil end without touching the joints in the control cavity. That's not common though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Its cleaner than my late 2019 model lol!
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10178
    I wouldn't bother. I have a rewound middle pickup in my 64 Strat. 
  • MikeCMikeC Frets: 450
    Thanks everyone. There is slight evidence of re/ desoldering in the control cavity and at the pickup end. 

I’ve just bought the 3rd power wooly coats amp that was on here a few weeks ago and will give it a good play over the weekend. Looks like it should stay as is or get a rewind if it’s too wimpy.  Better stop buying and start playing!  
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    edited September 2020
    Think if I was buying, I'd prefer an honest rewind of the original pickup,rather than an era correct replacement from another guitar with no providence.

Looks awesome by the way! Keep it as original as it is I say
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom