Openreach what a bunch of Ar*&^*oles

What's Hot
So day 23 without broadband, never get call backs from BT when promised to get an update.
Called today, latest estimate is November, apparently a broken splitter.
Can't go to another provider as of course Openreach have a monopoply on the fibre connection.
I pay a small fortune every month to get a stable fibre to the home connection as the copper cable to the house 
is a pile of crap (whenever it raid or was windy connection was unstable), and the 4G wifi hub is next to useless.

Having to work from home due to Covid and constant Video call interuptions as I'm using my company phone as a hotspot 
is am emabarisment. 

We don't watch terrestial TV (took the arial down ages ago), so no netflix/Prime, etc and I have an autistic teenager who's whole social life depends on online gaming. 

I am absolutly fuming...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5325
    Different ISP might kick OpenWound harder and get some action.

Not sure about FTTP, but EFM (kinda similar - "ethernet first mile", a moderately well-off person's leased line) usually comes with a much better SLA and penalties than that. Although doubtless they're pleading Covid exceptions blah blah blah :(
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited September 2020
    So day 23 without broadband, never get call backs from BT when promised to get an update.
    Called today, latest estimate is November, apparently a broken splitter.
    Can't go to another provider as of course Openreach have a monopoply on the fibre connection.
    I pay a small fortune every month to get a stable fibre to the home connection as the copper cable to the house 
    is a pile of crap (whenever it raid or was windy connection was unstable), and the 4G wifi hub is next to useless.

Having to work from home due to Covid and constant Video call interuptions as I'm using my company phone as a hotspot 
    is am emabarisment. 

We don't watch terrestial TV (took the arial down ages ago), so no netflix/Prime, etc and I have an autistic teenager who's whole social life depends on online gaming. 

I am absolutly fuming...

Partly the government's fault which forced BT to be split up - Openreach and BT's ISP arm can't even talk to each other properly. I know this as we had some problems during an upgrade and had Openreach guys moaning about the convoluted comms route they have to now take. Best of all we had two separate lines that needed upgrading - we were given a date and two lots of engineers turned up as each line was assigned a job and a different team. Four blokes at one house ... waste.

Have you spoken to BT? If your broadband is down they should send you a 4g hub for free which runs on the BT network. You don't have to pay for it. I was sent one when we had issues. It worked OK.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • The 4G hub is next to useless. We are heavy internet users (video conferencing, gaming, all TV). We're in a Victorian terrace with brick walls in every room. And you can't even connect it to a switch so we can use our internal WiFi.
    The 4G hub is next to useless. We are heavy internet users (video conferencing, gaming, all TV). We're in a Victorian terrace with brick walls in every room. And you can't even connect it to a switch so we can use our internal WiFi.

Fair enough ... I feel your pain. We were upgraded to the new high-speed broadband which is great but the initial cabinet installation in our street was botched.

I guess Openreach is short of staff as well .. people self-isolating etc.

• I found the Openreach engineers to be very helpful when they eventually turned up to sort out my fault, however their management needs sorting. The two guys I saw said they spent their entire days chasing complaints about broadband speeds that were promised by ISPs, but were never ever going to get near to due to copper cabling.

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2912
    I had an Openreach engineer round last year to sort some wiring in my house. Really nice bloke, played guitar as well. He'd come down from Scotland for mine and a few other jobs - I'm near Cambridge. Sounds like some weird management.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1467
    I have nothing to add but could not agree more with the original sentiment. 
  • Jesus fuck do not get me started on those shower of bell ends.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    Had a few dealing with openreach engineers over the past few years and always been really helpful, on time and job done well.  Last visit was 18 months ago though, not during COVID, when they installed FTTP which took my broadband from 15Mbps to 300Mbps. Just had an upgrade a few weeks back to 930Mbps and was activated on time with no issues although that was just a bandwidth change as opposed to any physical work.
  • mcsdan said:
    Had a few dealing with openreach engineers over the past few years and always been really helpful, on time and job done well.  Last visit was 18 months ago though, not during COVID, when they installed FTTP which took my broadband from 15Mbps to 300Mbps. Just had an upgrade a few weeks back to 930Mbps and was activated on time with no issues although that was just a bandwidth change as opposed to any physical work.
    Are you connected via ethernet to your hub? I was thinking of 930Mbps link, but realised that wifi/Powerline tops out at about 100Mpbs (unless I'm in the same room as the hub) so it just does not make sense.
  • We had some issues few weeks back, disconnects from service with BT every hour or less. Openreach Engineer turns up and I suggest that the problem is a faulty card in the local kiosk. He does the usual line tests etc and eventually confirms that the problem is outside the house and spends the rest of the day chasing it from manhole to manhole up the road. By then several neighbours had wandered out and mentioned to him that they were having the same issue.

We used the 4G minihub for a few days and at one point there were 3 Openreach vans at the local green box and they were gathered around it in a huddle.

he popped back later that day to day that one of the cards in the kiosk was faulty and they were waiting foe the fibre team to get approval from BT to replace it!

Service resumed without further issue the next day.

Blame Thatcher .. our Broadband is her fault.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1947
    edited September 2020
    Fretwired said:
    Blame Thatcher .. our Broadband is her fault.
    Fibre to the house.....in the 80’s? Will we ever see such (sensible) forward thinking in our country again? I’m certain that we’ll see again the ideological dogma that prevented it from happening.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • We had some issues few weeks back, disconnects from service with BT every hour or less. Openreach Engineer turns up and I suggest that the problem is a faulty card in the local kiosk. He does the usual line tests etc and eventually confirms that the problem is outside the house and spends the rest of the day chasing it from manhole to manhole up the road. By then several neighbours had wandered out and mentioned to him that they were having the same issue.

We used the 4G minihub for a few days and at one point there were 3 Openreach vans at the local green box and they were gathered around it in a huddle.

he popped back later that day to day that one of the cards in the kiosk was faulty and they were waiting foe the fibre team to get approval from BT to replace it!

It’s no wonder we can never get an Openreach engineer for ages.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    mcsdan said:
    Are you connected via ethernet to your hub? I was thinking of 930Mbps link, but realised that wifi/Powerline tops out at about 100Mpbs (unless I'm in the same room as the hub) so it just does not make sense.

We have one PC connected via ethernet and get full speed. The newer wifi devices e.g. ipad can get full speed. However some of the more remote rooms like my studio at the end of the garden use powerline which only goes upto 12Mbps!! So in the process putting in some amoured cat6e network and a couple of other rooms with blackspots. So going to network most of the house to take full benefit.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4612
    Thread resurrection.
    Well after the 26 days of not having internet last year I am now on day 16 again. In the mean time I have upgraded to the full Halo+ package. 1Gbit link plus 4G backup, but only get 2Mbit 
    BT are being a bit better and are contacting me everyday, alas Openreach are still proving to be incompetent. 
    Autistic son is going stir crazy and hid mental health is not good at the best of times, Work is being severely impacted.
    Bloody monopolies.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    edited May 2021
    We had some issues few weeks back, disconnects from service with BT every hour or less. Openreach Engineer turns up and I suggest that the problem is a faulty card in the local kiosk. He does the usual line tests etc and eventually confirms that the problem is outside the house and spends the rest of the day chasing it from manhole to manhole up the road. By then several neighbours had wandered out and mentioned to him that they were having the same issue.

im a subcontractor engineer for openreach. And trust me proving a line is a tedious and frustrating activity. there is no magic switch as some customers belive. there is also nothing on the openreach network that is refered to as a kiosk so your sugestion was meaningless to the engineer.

being a customer is bad enough but try working for them

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    @Axe_meister - Ive found Twitter to be the most useful with BT ...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4612
    BT aren't the problem it's openreach who are the problem
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18375
    phil_b said:
    We had some issues few weeks back, disconnects from service with BT every hour or less. Openreach Engineer turns up and I suggest that the problem is a faulty card in the local kiosk. He does the usual line tests etc and eventually confirms that the problem is outside the house and spends the rest of the day chasing it from manhole to manhole up the road. By then several neighbours had wandered out and mentioned to him that they were having the same issue.

im a subcontractor engineer for openreach. And trust me proving a line is a tedious and frustrating activity. there is no magic switch as some customers belive. there is also nothing on the openreach network that is refered to as a kiosk so your sugestion was meaningless to the engineer.

being a customer is bad enough but try working for them

Genius. Hearing 'kiosk' used in the context of the problem & yet not being willing or able to interpret that to mean 'cabinet' or 'exchange'.
    No wonder people get pissed off...