Guild S-200 T Bird Reissue Trem Issues (Hagstrom Vintage Trem)

Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1384
edited September 2020 in Guitar
Picked one up recently and have had some issues trying to get it set up and intonated. Gave it to a tech who did a good job, but I'll stay away from using the trem for now. Are there any upgrades or mods that can be done on these Hagstrom vintage trems? Bear in mind it's a reissue, so I guess they probably just stuck on the same bridge as the old ones, faults and all....

https://guildguitars.com/g/s-200-t-bird-in-antique-burst/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Assuming the nut is cut properly and is lubricated, the next thing to try would be a roller bridge IMO. Unless it's set up to rock with the motion of the strings the way a Jazzmaster bridge does, it's a point of potential friction.

After that you're going to need to look at whether the trem is returning to its "zero" position properly, and if not, why not.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• The originals had a rocking bridge AFAIK, so it's not quite the same. Hagstrom uses a roller bridge on its modern guitars with a Tremar.

• After that you're going to need to look at whether the trem is returning to its "zero" position properly, and if not, why not.
    I think this was an issue, well the tech mentioned this, so I suggested setting up for non use for now just to get me over the hump. I will have to revisit that issue at some stage...
  • Anyone know where I might source the screw that fits in to the top of this trem? I bought this guitar used, so based on what I've seen online I think I am missing the little screw cap for the top of this?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    Depends what the thread is - can you measure the diameter of the hole? It looks like about 4mm but there may be some photo perspective issues.

The tuning problems will be caused by the tune-o-matic and the severe string angles at the nut on the middle two strings - more or less inevitable with both these things. Making the bridge rock or replacing it with a roller will help, and cutting the nut grooves with a flare on the headstock side and lubricating them will help, but you may not be able to completely eliminate them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1384
    edited October 2020
    @ICBM if my failing eyesight is correct, it's 5mm from outer edge to edge, and 3mm at the hole in diameter. I am aware of the limitations of this bridge. I don't use it much but would be nice to have the trem arm fixed just to do the odd subtle rock here and there.
    Do you mean something along the lines of this: 
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/abm_roller_bridge_2400n_ro_n.htm?ref=intl&shp=eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiZ2IiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6IjQiLCJsYW5ndWFnZSI6ImVuIn0=