NAD - Honeyboy 5F1 Champ

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850

Have been on search for a small amp that I could use for home noodling as well as a grab and go for jams. I looked at various 5f1 clones from Victoria and fender, but I decided I really wanted to buy British, especially at the moment.

From the website it looked like Chris at Rift was focussing more on his own designs rather than the vintage Feder copies he has been building (not sure if that is completely correct or not @RiftAmps I’m sure will clarify). I had a look around at other British builders and came across Honeyboy with some alternative coverings and cabinet construction, plus a host of great reviews.

A deep dive found that Andy at Honeyboy builds a few designs, most popular is his 10” 5F2a Princeton style build. This was physically a bit bigger than what I was after but I was so impressed with the designs and online reviews and sound clips I thought I’d message him to see if he could do a smaller version or possibly an 8” 5F1 circuit.

He responded straight away and was happy to do either. He costed out a hand built 5f1 with an 8” speaker as it was not listed on his website and we agreed to go that route.

Andy builds the cabs himself from Sapele and used my size specifications so it would fit in the space I had. He sent photos through out the build process with progress reports and options for me to choose for finishes and details. He even sent through a sample selection for the tolex and grille cloth for me to chose from, Green Gator very nearly got the nod, but I ended up with Croc Choc and a Gold Grille.

What I really like was that it felt like a collaborative process, Andy was great at raising things he had options for and working to the right solution for me. Top bloke.

So it arrived today, perfectly packed. The detailing is superb. Mrs F and I spent a good 15 minutes just admiring it before even thinking about plugging it in.

Eventually grabbed my Tele and tried it out, it’s everything a 5F1 Champ should be. Sweet, raspy, responsive, dynamic and lively. The noise floor is exactly zero until you get to about 9 out of 12 on the dial, then you can just start to hear it’s on. The response is fabulous, and it fills the room despite its diminutive size. Decent bass from the 8” Jenson alnico vintage series speaker. Andy kindly broke this in for me and recorded a demo –

Overall, just delighted with it. To get a hand built, bespoke design amp from a from a British builder at the moment is real treat.

0reaction image LOL 14reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3140
    tFB Trader
    Nice one @Fuengi

Andy is a top bloke and I've got nothing but praise for him.

From the website it looked like Chris at Rift was focusing more on his own designs rather than the vintage Fender copies he has been building (not sure if that is completely correct or not @RiftAmps I’m sure will clarify)

We stopped offering these a while back. As I'm a) VAT registered, b) have a full-time employee and c) have a reasonably sized business premises that needs to be paid for I could no longer offer these for <£1300 - which is too expensive in my book.

*I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    That looks like a wee cracker of an amp :)
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    RiftAmps said:
    Nice one @Fuengi

Andy is a top bloke and I've got nothing but praise for him.

From the website it looked like Chris at Rift was focusing more on his own designs rather than the vintage Fender copies he has been building (not sure if that is completely correct or not @RiftAmps I’m sure will clarify)

We stopped offering these a while back. As I'm a) VAT registered, b) have a full-time employee and c) have a reasonably sized business premises that needs to be paid for I could no longer offer these for <£1300 - which is too expensive in my book.

Cheers Chris. I thought you'd stopped doing them. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9661
    Looks fantastic!
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Beautiful looking thing
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Fabulous! I love the croc style covering in the dark brown. If it sounds as good as it looks you must be very happy. Congrats!
    JezWynd said:
    Fabulous! I love the croc style covering in the dark brown. If it sounds as good as it looks you must be very happy. Congrats!
    Just having another little play with a few pedals. It is unbelievably responsive. I love the way can I play the most delicate little run on the treble side then, dig in on the bass side and it just blooms. Amazing dynamic range. 
  • That is Stunning!

• That poor crocodile

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    Love it!
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1103
    edited September 2020
    That poor crocodile
    The chocolate crocodile no less, a rare beast indeed
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1103
    Stunning amp, congratulations 
    Some really nice stuff on the Honeyboy website (sneakily checks credit card limit...)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2575
    tFB Trader
    Nice amp, great attention to detial, Andy is a top bloke, Thanks for buying British!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Nice amp, great attention to detial, Andy is a top bloke, Thanks for buying British!
    When we are this good it's easy! 
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1173
    edited September 2020
    awesome, I was going to build myself another princeton reverb, but thanks to your post I've just gone and bought myself a champ kit from @Modulus_Amps ;

I'm going back to basics with a champ + telecaster combo.
  • They look amazing, I've just pulled the trigger on a 5e3 inspired tweed amp but I think I know where I'll be going for the next one... Once I've saved up enough
    smfacer said:
    They look amazing, I've just pulled the trigger on a 5e3 inspired tweed amp but I think I know where I'll be going for the next one... Once I've saved up enough
    Honeyboy do a 5e3 build which is very tempting. I think it might be too loud for home use though! 
    I don't think I’ll be wearing a Honeyboy tee shirt on my next trip to Brighton or San Francisco...
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    That’s very cool. Prompted a look at his website. Very tempting.