Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Are heavy picks better for fast tremolo picking?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• CrankyCranky Frets: 2629
    Jeremiah said:
    Thanks for all the replies
    I've been trying moving to a .88 since I have a few lying around and it's amazing how different it is - compared to the .46 it feels like hitting the strings with a brick - I wonder if it might be better to move up slowly, eg to .60 first rather than jumping to a pick that's nearly twice as thick.

One thing I notice about the thin pick is that it causes some natural compression - if I try to hit the strings harder, it causes the pick to flex more rather than giving a lot more energy to the string. I guess this means the thicker picks give the player greater control of dynamics - which is probably a positive for good players who actually have control of dynamics!

Something to be said for this.  I've long felt that I could gauge whether I was having an on or off day playing depending on how good I could make a heavier pick sound.  If I'm conscious about what I'm doing, I deliberately start with a thinner pick and move up little by little as I settle into what I'm doing.

Unless it's "Ramble On" or one of those tunes that requires a thin pick for fast strumming.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Contrary to all this...Eddie Van Halen used a .60mm Dunlop Max Grip, Herco Flex 50 and various light gauge picks over the years and he was one of the best trem pickers ever.  
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    clarkefan said:
    Whatever works for you.  I like tortex 1mm-ish for this.  I tried the Jazz size but they're not for me, I prefer the normal size and I hold it closer to the tip for fast picking.  I'm thinking of trying something thinner, see what difference that would make if any.

I used to really like very thin picks but over time graduated back to heavier.

For what it's worth the sig EVH pick that Dunlop sell, and he uses, is 0.6 and "bendy", whatever works :)
    Tortex crew 1mm stand up
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 850
    I`ve gone the other way - I usually use the small red EJ Dunlop picks. Great for accuracy. I`ve been tasked with learning some EVH for an upcoming gig (yes really, an actual gig!) and I`m struggling most with his tremolo picking.

I`ve tried some larger fat picks, and they make it a bit easier - more pick poking out to make contact with the string I guess, But I`ve also ordered some Dunlop EVH picks, which as someone else said are a fairly thin 0.6mm. 

Interested to see which works better - but I think it`ll be a case of whatever works for you..........

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    Dunlop .73mm.   Simply the best.
  • Like some others have said, I'd suggest Dunlop Jazz III's. I prefer the smaller ones, which do make me focus more on the dynamics, particularly if trying to incorporate legato and getting an even volume balance. Personally, I would just try using a thicker pick instead of a gradual transition from lighter ones, but it will come down to your learning style and what you're comfortable with.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3426
    The importance of thickness is inversely proportional to how much you choke the pick. In other words, if you hold the pick in a way that only the very tip is out (oo-er), then all picks are ... errr... stiff enough for tremolo picking. I like large picks because they don't slip as easily and don't turn in the fingers, especially with the weird way I hold them (like George Benson). My favourite is 2 mm thick, but I find I can use any thickness of picks for tremolo picking.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12253
    I find using the rounded back of the pick rather than the pointy end for surf music easier to play faster stuff. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16000
    edited January 2021
    I use a 3.5 mm pick........I can tremolo  pick very fast although my left hand isn't so clean
    I simply can't do it at all with a pick thinner than 3mm
    It's easier to bounce over the strings and not get caught between
    Either way there is a simple trick that's a massive help.......................slant the pick backwards
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    carlos said:
    The importance of thickness is inversely proportional to how much you choke the pick. In other words, if you hold the pick in a way that only the very tip is out (oo-er), then all picks are ... errr... stiff enough for tremolo picking. I like large picks because they don't slip as easily and don't turn in the fingers, especially with the weird way I hold them (like George Benson). My favourite is 2 mm thick, but I find I can use any thickness of picks for tremolo picking.
    Have you seen this guy? He uses a pick that's pretty much a pebble!

He's a massive Shawn Lane fan (I think he curates a website or something) - thought you might be interested :)
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Aren’t there two factors at play here? How stiff a pick is, and how easy it is to hold and control. I’d expect a thick pick to score well on both counts.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Roland said:
    Aren’t there two factors at play here? How stiff a pick is, and how easy it is to hold and control. I’d expect a thick pick to score well on both counts.

I just tried a 2mm dunlop flow and it's so smoothly polished it actually takes a ton of energy to get a string to pluck!

Go to the 1.5mm or 1mm and it's much easier.

I used to use 3mm picks but now back to red jazz iii - but I want to pick faster, and dream of those really rapid pentatonics, so I am giving a few others a go.

I'm also not sure I like extra grippy bits. I seem to move the pick around a lot in my hand. That's probably a bad habit I need to lose. 
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1340
    The advantage of a heavier pick is less flex and therefore more accuracy. There may also be a slight advantage in speed terms as the pick does not have to return from flex.

I would say however if you want to increase speed don't worry too much about this at this point. Your whole focus should be on reducing tension in your picking hand.

No time to jump into it now but three things to consider;
    • Tension in response to load
    • Sympathetic tension
    • Psychological tension
    There's a reason that the really great pickers make it look effortless. It is! If it wasn't then they wouldn't be able to do to it.

If you want any more info just shout.

Si
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    EVH had the most impressive  tremolo picking I've heard and he used a thin pick so go figure. Mind you he held his wrist at a mental angle unsupported as well.
    I use a thick little Jazz III, always have done for 20 years or more. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30824
    The issue with heavier pics is that the harder you hit the string, the less they'll actually respond.

There's a brilliant explanation of this on Joe B's channel and he's dead right, IMO.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    @Gassage Maybe he was able to apply the same principles to his own limp physique in order to come out the victor in that bar brawl?
    ThePrettyDamned said:
     I want to pick faster, and dream of those really rapid pentatonics, so I am giving a few others a go.
    Have you tried looking at Troy Grady's Cracking The Code?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Gassage said:
    The issue with heavier pics is that the harder you hit the string, the less they'll actually respond.

There's a brilliant explanation of this on Joe B's channel and he's dead right, IMO.
    Thanks for this, I must check it out, my experience is the reverse.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom