Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Should I buy a short scale?

What's Hot
I'm a guitarist and I'm thinking about transitioning to bass, it wont be my first base but for now it'll be my only one. A short scale sounds like a good idea but every review is "great for kids/ladies/smaller guys" but i'm 6'2" and 13 stone so not petite!

I think i'm being put off by a cheap old P bass copy I had that would nose dive as soon as look at it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    No idea if this helps, but I'm 6'2" too, on Friday I was in a recording studio and I had taken my P Bass, I'm not really a bass player but I didn't have one to hand :-) , anyway it was dead, no idea why, fortunately the studio had a Squier offset shortscale bass I could borrow, it was bloody lovely, the P Bass always feels too big after playing guitar, so I wouldn't worry about it, it sounded great too
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2234
    I went the other way from bass to guitar. I still have an EUB which is about 40 inch scale length. I also have an ashbory which is probably about 12 inch or something stupid. 

So on to the actual point if you are going to learn bass as a bassist and not someone who dabbles for recording etc get the bass that feels right regardless of scale length, string width and number. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Jason said:
    No idea if this helps, but I'm 6'2" too, on Friday I was in a recording studio and I had taken my P Bass, I'm not really a bass player but I didn't have one to hand :-) , anyway it was dead, no idea why, fortunately the studio had a Squier offset shortscale bass I could borrow, it was bloody lovely, the P Bass always feels too big after playing guitar, so I wouldn't worry about it, it sounded great too
    Thanks. It's between the Squire Mustang (probably what you were using) and the Gretsch G2220, I should make the time to go and play a few but my local store has a sorry selection!
  • I would recommend getting a regular scaled bass with a J neck over a short scale. The difference in space between frets is so small it doesn't make much difference IMHO
  • I’ve been through a fair amount of basses in my time and finally settled on shorter scales, currently have a 31.5 fretless and a 30” fretted. As a guitar player I always felt a 34” scale put the nut just a bit too far away for comfort. Presently contemplating moving my ‘73 Gibson EB 0 on, so if you have a LP for trade, get in touch.
  • I've had 34, 35, 37 etc

But I've been blown away by Ibanez new 32 (medium) scale basses.
    Modestly priced, sound amazing, and very easy to play. I have two 5 strings and the low B is excellent on both

I suspect I'm a convert to 32 scale now.

• I needed a bass for home recording. Previously i had the use of my Sons Precision or Lakland when he was around or not using it / on the road etc.
    Tried a few, but kept coming back to Short Scale Mustang and Gretsch Junior Club.
    Eventually bought the Gretsch. 
    It feels great to play, 
    I'm a long armed 6 footer as well.... !!
  • Sorry. The above should read Gretsch Junior Jet - Not Junior Club.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Im 6 foot 2 and enjoy my Squier Bronco.....it just looks like a slightly larger than normal guitar....great fun and sounds fine...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    edited September 2020
    I would recommend getting a regular scaled bass with a J neck over a short scale. The difference in space between frets is so small it doesn't make much difference IMHO

I'd disagree.  It does make a difference.  I sold a Jazz and bought an 80's E Series Squier P Bass with a 32" scale.  The shorter scale definitely makes a difference.

I have very short fingers so the stretches on a 34" scale may be less of an issue for other people.

I find it a lot easier to get a P style to sit in a mix well than a Jazz as well.

32" (sometimes called medium scale) is a good compromise.  It's noticeably easier to play than a 34" scale, but seems to have some of the punch to the sound that a short scale loses.  Fender/Squier are missing a trick by not having anything like that in their catalogue at the moment.  The Ibanez Mezzo basses are inexpensive and good if you like that active thing, but I prefer a passive P sound.
  • Sorry. The above should read Gretsch Junior Jet - Not Junior Club.
    That's good to hear. I've got my eye on one that's on eBay but if I miss it or it goes too high I'll probably just buy one new, against my Fender loving mates best advice! ;)
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2591
    edited September 2020
    If you regard yourself as a guitarist who occasionally plays bass for a bit of recording etc I think a short scale is fine.  If you're thinking of making the transition to bass being your number one instrument I'd get a standard scale.  I think if you don't there's an extremely high probability you'll end up doing it later so you might as well do it in a oner.  Even if a lot of it is psychological, it will be hard to avoid the mind-set that what you're playing isn't a "proper" bass with the short scale, and you'll always be wondering if you'd sound better (and be taken a bit more seriously) with a "real" bass.  (Also some drummers are very finicky about this - again it may be more prejudice than substance but some drummers react badly to a non-Fender, never mind a short scale).

I switched to bass as my primary instrument for several years before switching back.  I still have standard scale basses (and a 35" Lakland) but I'm occasionally tempted by a short scale for recording because I so rarely pick up a bass these days and they feel huge.  But I'd definitely want full scale if I went back to bass more seriously.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    33.25"

:)

The best of all bass scale lengths if you're coming from guitar.

When you work it out, you'll know why ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    edited September 2020
    I see what you did there. :-p

The £2.5K knockabout bass guitar!
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBM said:
    33.25"

:)

The best of all bass scale lengths if you're coming from guitar.

When you work it out, you'll know why ;).
    Didn’t need to work it out.

I can spot over priced firewood made by a litigious eijit a mile away! 
  • Balrog68Balrog68 Frets: 100
    You play whichever bass you feel most comfortable with and ignore anyone that tells you what they think you should play. I'm 6 ft tall and have a long scale Jazz and a short scale Jaguar...i prefer the Jag and you can play anything on it, contrary to what everyone told me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BowksBowks Frets: 414
    I've had 34, 35, 37 etc

Modestly priced, sound amazing, and very easy to play. I have two 5 strings and the low B is excellent on both

You'll be after one of those original Urge basses then!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24203
    edited October 2020
    Bowks said:
    I've had 34, 35, 37 etc

You'll be after one of those original Urge basses then!
    I've got an Urge 2. It's nice!

I don't play it anymore though as it's too heavy for my injuries.
  • BowksBowks Frets: 414
    edited October 2020
    I have a lovely light Cort Elrick & cash ;-)
  • Balrog68 said:
    You play whichever bass you feel most comfortable with and ignore anyone that tells you what they think you should play. I'm 6 ft tall and have a long scale Jazz and a short scale Jaguar...i prefer the Jag and you can play anything on it, contrary to what everyone told me. 

Spot on.