Improving Middle Finger

What's Hot
thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
I think my index finger is significantly better at plucking strings than my middle finger.

Do you think the better way to bring the level of the middle finger up is by playing more with both fingers or playing more with just the middle finger for a while?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Go for a long drive through central London
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24240
    Each finger always sounds a little different. Cannot avoid that - they are different.

Aston Barrett used to try to record using only 1 finger whenever he could to keep each pluck sounding the same. He only used 2 when a faster speed was needed.

Live though - nobody will notice so I wouldn't worry about it too much. I play with all 4 fingers depending on the tune and the little finger is amazingly different to index and middle. But I don't worry about it. As long as the note is coming out right, that will do.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    thegummy said:
    playing more with both fingers or playing more with just the middle finger for a while?
    Playing with two fingers will get the middle accustomed to working. It will probably still be weaker than the index finger. In alternate picking, allow this power difference to give emphasis to the upbeat notes.

Deliberately using only the middle finger might help to exercise it. 

Pulling upstrokes with the index finger and flicking downstrokes with the nail of the middle finger gets you half way towards the style of Geddy Lee.

On a complete tangent, your middle finger should prove very useful for the John Entwistle hammer-on style.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • martmart Frets: 5205

On a complete tangent, your middle finger should prove very useful for the John Entwistle hammer-on style.
    Lee Sklar also makes prominent use of his middle finger.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    I adopted this floating thumb technique a few years ago and it revolutionised my bass playing. All the plucking hand finger tips are held the same distance from the strings, whereas when playing straight-fingered the distances are all different. It also lets you pluck with a straight wrist - it can’t be good for your tendons to have them working through your wrist at a sharp angle.

https://youtu.be/PPVMBPmrblU
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    When I was much younger and had the time and inclination, I used to work on all of my fingers individually and could play comfortably with any of the middle three. In reality, everything sounds better and more consistent with one, and I'll mostly just put my index finger to work unless I'm skipping strings
  • I just spent time trying to get both fingers to be consistent, no left hand except for some muting.
    I mixed alternating with different patterns like i-m-i-m i-i-i m-m-m, incorporating it into raking practice helps, 2 notes per string from E to G and rake back up, 3 notes per string from E to G and rake back up, 4 notes....and so on to train each finger to pluck down and rake back up.
    Each time I wasn't happy with a loud/soft tone I restarted and slowed down a little.

The floating thumb thing does definitely help for me, it makes my hand stay relaxed when I'd normally tense up if I anchor to something.

An interesting quirk I found was when I started adding my ring finger for a 3 finger gallop, the ring finger now feels really sloppy but the index and middle feel more solid.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    thegummy said:
    the better way to bring the level of the middle finger up 
    Stand alongside Highway 7 and wait for the forty fifth President's motorcade to pass by.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.