Quiet top E on piezo

I have an issue with the piezo on my Breedlove acoustic. The pickup works but the top E and slightly the B string are much quieter than the rest of the strings. They do get amplified but just much quieter. Any ideas what could be the problem and a solution?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    Most likely the bottom of the saddle is not absolutely flat and there is a slight rise at the treble end. Apart from that it could be a seating issue through one end of the saddle not quite getting deep into the slot due to a thicknessing issue. 
  • artiebear said:
    Most likely the bottom of the saddle is not absolutely flat and there is a slight rise at the treble end. Apart from that it could be a seating issue through one end of the saddle not quite getting deep into the slot due to a thicknessing issue. 
    What would be the best way to resolve it?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72237
    edited October 2020
    First check there is no dust or other debris either under the saddle (on top of the pickup) or under the pickup - be very careful how you get the pickup out, bending them can damage them.

If it's all clean, as artiebear says it's possible either the saddle bottom, or (less likely) the saddle slot floor, are not perfectly flat. You can make sure the saddle is flat by rubbing it on a piece of fine sandpaper (about 300 grit is ideal) on a definitely flat surface (kitchen worktop is ideal, but anything similar will do). Move it alternately across its width, then along its length, and look at the pattern of scratches - you'll easily spot any unevenness. If it's the saddle slot then it's a professional job to re-cut it so it is, but it's unlikely since they're done with a machine tool at the factory.

If it's not that then the worst case possibility is that the pickup is cracked roughly at the B string. If it is, it has to be replaced.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    First check there is no dust or other debris either under the saddle (on top of the pickup) or under the pickup - be very careful how you get the pickup out, bending them can damage them.

If it's all clean, as artiebear says it's possible either the saddle bottom, or (less likely) the saddle slot floor, are not perfectly flat. You can make sure the saddle is flat by rubbing it on a piece of fine sandpaper (about 300 grit is ideal) on a definitely flat surface (kitchen worktop is ideal, but anything similar will do). Move it alternately across its width, then along its length, and look at the pattern of scratches - you'll easily spot any unevenness. If it's the saddle slot then it's a professional job to re-cut it so it is, but it's unlikely since they're done with a machine tool at the factory.

If it's not that then the worst case possibility is that the pickup is cracked roughly at the B string. If it is, it has to be replaced.
    Thanks. I had the guitar set up by luthier Chris George recently and he put in a new saddle so I'm assuming it's not that but will try what you suggest i case it is.

If it does need a new piezo, is that a costly thing to have done? I guess it needs doing by a pro?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72237

If it does need a new piezo, is that a costly thing to have done? I guess it needs doing by a pro?
    It depends on what type is in there, but if it's a Breedlove I assume it's something fairly decent, and hence expensive. Fitting it should be fairly easy though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:

It depends on what type is in there, but if it's a Breedlove I assume it's something fairly decent, and hence expensive. Fitting it should be fairly easy though.

Thanks Is there a simple way to find out what type it is? It's a 2004 Breedlove Atlas so one of their lower end models. I can't see inside enough to see if it's a plug in jack connector or if it's soldered in
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Thanks. I had the guitar set up by luthier Chris George recently
    I'd take it back to him and not fuck about with it .....

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback