Good rhythm teacher (online) or course?

What's Hot
carloscarlos Frets: 3445
Hit a wall on my progress - rhythm. There are some things I just cannot understand, I simply don't have the tools to learn and improve. For example, this track (avant-garde stuff warning). Where the hell is the "one"? Is there even a one? How do I count it? 

Anybody want to recommend a teacher online or a course I can take to help me with this stuff? I have no issues playing in odd signatures or a mix of odd/even but I have a hard time counting when the drums and percussion are being tricky.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 349
    Listening to that track I’d say the issue isn’t understanding rhythm, but picking out the meter.   With rock and pop, the meter is usually really easy to identify - it’s nearly always 4/4 and the beats are clearly marked by the drummer.  Classical music, although more subtle, is usually fairly easy to pin down in terms of meter.
    But this piece is quite tricky.  On a quick partial listen I’d say it’s in an unusual time signature and the “one” of each bar is definitely difficult to pin down, due to the complexity of the drumming, and well, the complexity of the music generally.  I’m not usually bad at finding the meter, but this is a tough one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 289
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    BahHumbug said:
    But this piece is quite tricky.  On a quick partial listen I’d say it’s in an unusual time signature and the “one” of each bar is definitely difficult to pin down, due to the complexity of the drumming, and well, the complexity of the music generally.  I’m not usually bad at finding the meter, but this is a tough one.
    The sax player in my band is a professional musician and he's as baffled as you. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Sounds like the downbeat is moving, bars of different values. You'd have to count it and map it out and then you'd likely discover a pattern
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 349
    Yeah, I think it’s different time signatures in different bars.  There’s a hint of a triplet feel overlaid over the beat, but like I said before, it’s tricky.  It’s like they’ve deliberately contrived to hide the meter.  It’s the sort of thing I would usually enjoy working out, but I think I could get a headache from trying to figure this one out.
  • Seems like a mathematical exercise to me - perhaps all music is partly that at least, but...  Maybe you could put it into Transcribe! and break it down?  I’m sure there will be logic involved.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    I think it's some sort of clave