Neural Quad Core thing demo

What's Hot

Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10201
    The new Rabea demo has certainly got my attention. The captures of the amps were extremely accurate and if the feel is there it could be a game changer.

I wonder how good the effects are. If the effects could get close to Fractal quality I may eventually take the plunge.
    From what others have said, the effects aren't amazing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    @kennedydream1980 ;
    Paul Davids & Rhett Shull were not impressed with the effects
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • duotone said:
    @kennedydream1980 ;
    Which is why I asked about third party plugins.  After having a brief nose about their site, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of effect plugins. 
  • So I spent a chunk of today making a video to try to demonstrate the issue I run into time and time again with the Profiler. Link is here:

@WiresDreamDisasters great video, that. It's very interesting. Your findings were much the same as mine in my last dabble with digital. I had the Axe FX III for the last couple of months and that last 1-2% is what really sticks in the throat and is what made me want my old amps! :-)

Superb gear, regardless, for sure.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24240
    @WiresDreamDisasters thanks for the info.  My take away from it is that Neural would have to release an SDK to enable other parties stuff on their machine.
    If that was going to happen then Fractal / Kemper / Line 6 would have done it already.
  • exocet said:

Now to whinge about other things!!! I'm not sure I'm happy with how close the footswitches are together on it!
    That was the 1st thing that I thought, especially with the top row v bottom row spacing. Won't be an issue playing at home but live on stage?
    To my understanding, you can DISENGAGE any of the switches, so that if you accidentally hit one, it does not change. You only activate those that you will use in an on/off way.
  • exocet said:

Now to whinge about other things!!! I'm not sure I'm happy with how close the footswitches are together on it!
    That was the 1st thing that I thought, especially with the top row v bottom row spacing. Won't be an issue playing at home but live on stage?
    To my understanding, you can DISENGAGE any of the switches, so that if you accidentally hit one, it does not change. You only activate those that you will use in an on/off way.
    I don't quite understand how that is useful to someone who needs 8 scenes in a show - ie; all the switches!

Bye!

Might need barefoot buttons on the top row - if they will fit. Don't know if these new encoders knobs are a different size.

Or everyone will need to get their 80s cowboy boots out again for a narrow toe!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    edited February 2021

No problem for the Lenigrad Cowboys
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    @WiresDreamDisasters thanks for the info.  My take away from it is that Neural would have to release an SDK to enable other parties stuff on their machine.
    I don't think they would, necessarily - they could just make a vst wrapper that the 3rd party plugin runs in, based on the SDK steinberg releases. But if they really didn't want anyone else involved, they'd need to say clearly that if a plugin happens not to work with their wrapper, it's tough shit - they wouldn't work with the plugin developer to fix whatever bug caused the problem. There's also the issue that plugins don't have an upper limit on how complex they can be, and could use up a lot of DSP - no idea how QC handles that in the UI.

But I don't think they'd do a VST wrapper thing because it opens up a lot more ways for users to be dissatisfied with the product. From a customer relations viewpoint, it's better not to bother and keep everything in house/ in their own software ecosystem, I think.
  • @Cirrus thanks that that, my insanity wolf buddy.  I had a fancy dream based upon Neural DSP Tech having banged out a load of plugins before this project was mentioned.  I then thought that the Quad Cortex would be a computer, built to survive floor use, which ran plugins.  I suppose that I was thinking of it being something akin to an armoured DAW on the floor.  The idea that got me excited, and which I mislead myself upon was that in essence all plugins are the same, which may sound a bit like plugin racism.  I was hoping that if I didn't like the on board phaser, I could drop in Phasis or something similar.

I am I right in thinking that if you do not like the onboard effects, that Neural will soon have some for sale?
  • Extremely slim to no chance of anything like the above happening really. It's a big technical challenge to essentially cannibalise your own sales and push your customers towards other brands - not really gonna happen!

Not sure about onboard effects Chris. They've not said anything. I'm not too enthusiastic about their delay and reverb offerings. But the thing about the QC is that you can put it on a board and mix and match with your own single stomps or beast Strymons or whatever... could be pretty sick to do that - best of both worlds!

Bye!

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6150
    duotone said:
    @kennedydream1980 ;
    The FX are always easy to improve with software revisions.

I was more bothered by the other thing Paul Davids mentioned - the screen you see when loading each patch looks totally uninformative. Not being able to see the amp at the heart of the tone would bother me. I hope there's a software update that does something closer to the Headrush Gigboard, where you see an image of the parts that make up the signal path.

Hopefully that embeds, if not see here: https://d1jtxvnvoxswj8.cloudfront.net/wysiwyg/headrush/pdp/gigboard/Headrush-img-GigboardHeadrUnit.png
  • Extremely slim to no chance of anything like the above happening really. It's a big technical challenge to essentially cannibalise your own sales and push your customers towards other brands - not really gonna happen!
    That thinking of mine may have come from that moment when I found out the Apple are quite happy for the user to install Windows onto a MBP.

Not sure about onboard effects Chris. They've not said anything. I'm not too enthusiastic about their delay and reverb offerings. But the thing about the QC is that you can put it on a board and mix and match with your own single stomps or beast Strymons or whatever... could be pretty sick to do that - best of both worlds!
    I think at that price point the effects should be pretty spot on; however, I do appreciate how particular you are about your time based effects.  Saying that, I know that AF2 effects serve me pretty well, the GT-1000 stuff is alright too (e.g. I prefer AF2's depth of tweakabillity on the drive effects). 
  • @Handsome_Chris ;

I actually think I'm particular about effects when we're chatting about it, but when I'm actually playing them, I tend to just embrace whatever! I'm just a huge barrel of contradictions! :lol:

Pretty much I need a good tape or analog delay with high-frequency oscillations, reverse delay, digital delay, hall-ish reverb, huge supernatural reverb, and a 100% wet reverb... and the rest of my effects are pretty utilitarian at that point.

Bye!

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3392
    edited February 2021

So I spent a chunk of today making a video to try to demonstrate the issue I run into time and time again with the Profiler. Link is here:

Wow, that's really interesting. Great skills too!

I clearly don't listen critically enough. I'm more in the "Yep, that sounds pretty much like a cranked Marshall, that will do" camp.

Part of me feels like the missing 5% really matters, and the other part says, don't sweat it and just enjoy playing. But then if I was going to spend over £1k on a modeller I'd want it to be pretty damn close !
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10201
    Neural have said March for the release date. With tier one and two mid Marchish and the stock sent to the supplier the end of March. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• There's a little ambient sounding clip in this. It sounds nice.

Bye!

Ola's full demo

edited February 2021
    Erik's new bass demo.

Lovely!

In the comments he confirms there is no switching delay in scenes.