Any reason to keep my Helix Rack

What's Hot
John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
I'm very unlikely to ever gig again, have an incoming iMac Pro and Helix Native, what do I gain from keeping the rack?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Depends on how you like to track. If you're a "high buffer sizes so I can get as many plugins into my session as possible" kind of guy, then the rack may still be useful because then you don't need to monitor your guitar through the daw with the large amount of latency that a high buffer gives you.

Bye!

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    My sessions are usually pretty simple, EZDrummer, bass a couple or 3 guitars, a smattering of keys and 2 or 3 vocals.  I'm hoping with the new iMac I'll be able to track live with Native.  Suppose my best bet is see how it goes
  • VoxsupertwinVoxsupertwin Frets: 335
    edited October 2020
    I've used an iMac with Logic Pro for ages and also my Line 6 Helix floor.....I find having my guitar and bass sounds all sorted in the Helix makes the on screen work much easier.....

https://i.imgur.com/DC4VWVJ.jpg

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    I've been wondering the same thing, and still am toying with the idea of selling.

But... the UI is pretty damn good on the physical helix imo. And Drew's quite right about the latency thing. Sometimes I can be a bit chaotic and think of an overdub I want to do halfway through a serious mix, and not having to worry about disassembling the mix-in progress to play a few chords over a section of song is a nice workflow thing.

Also, there's quite a lot of room between being quite confident that you'll never gig again, and knowing that you'll never need to make guitary noises without having to rely on a computer - jam sessions, one off things here and there etc...
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2892
    edited October 2020
    I'd probably keep it. I always find with plugins I have a tendency to mess with the settings too much after tracking. For my own sanity and to actually get shit done I think it's better to "bake in" the sound and treat it like a mic'd up amp. And it's nice to be able to disconnect from the computer.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8687
    Do you need the space? Do you need the money? If not then why sell?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8687
    Alternatively, there are lots of people here who’d like one.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Roland said:
    Do you need the space? Do you need the money? If not then why sell?
    Could do without the clutter and the wires. I’ll see how I get on using native and defer the decision;)
  • longshinslongshins Frets: 246
    edited October 2020
    I’d keep it, there’s something to be said for committing to a tone rather than tracking then losing inspiration by faffing with plugins.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Box it up, put it in the wardrobe for a bit, see if you miss it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    edited October 2020
    John_A said:
    I'm very unlikely to ever gig again, have an incoming iMac Pro and Helix Native, what do I gain from keeping the rack?
    I have a similarly powerful Mac.
    I would always prefer to capture from hardware- fewer system resources, more predictable latency.
    Box it up, put it in the wardrobe for a bit, see if you miss it. 
    That's the plan - well I'm just going to switch it off

octatonic said:
    John_A said:
    I have a similarly powerful Mac.
    I would always prefer to capture from hardware- fewer system resources, more predictable latency.

Makes sense, I'll see how I get on
    Well after a couple of weeks using Native, I’m sold, more than enough cpu for anything I want to do, the rack is going up for sale
  • I think you should sell it... I'll give you $100, lol. Seriously, if you're like me, you will be all over the place with gear.  You might find something glitchy with the software at times, or your computer will crash and it will take a week or two to get everything going again with a new computer... or you may want to jam at someone's house and will need to cart your rack unit, etc. I used my AxeFx II for quite a while (more for cabs than anything) and now I don't use it... still hanging onto it, as I may decide to use it for delay, reverb, etc. (currently using the Mooer Ocean Machine, but the reverb footswitch is glitchy).
  • By the way, what I love about computers is the use of soft synths (I only have a bit of stuff from Native Instruments) and my keyboard controller... awesomely weird and unique stuff. I have a midi converter somewhere in my studio, so that I can use my guitar, but it's only monophonic.