RIP Eddie Van Halen

What's Hot

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16083
    definitive guitar hero........changed the style of Rock Guitar singlehandedly
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Bod1Bod1 Frets: 3
    I was never a huge fan of the band but the man transformed guitar playing. Legend and RIP.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72258
    Genius player.

Terrible guitar and amp tech :).

What really shows his genius is that when he got an idea for something, he just did it regardless of whether it was a technically sensible thing to do, and made it work for him. I remember reading somewhere that he toured his lashed-up guitar, pedalboard and amps with no backups at all in the early days, and it somehow all worked - anyone else would have had it all break down at the first gig. How he did it I have no idea... but that’s what makes me just a guitar repairer and him a hugely influential musical innovator.

RIP :(.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8693
    Late to the party, but here for completeness  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54443394
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    This year sucks
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • AdiAdi Frets: 331
    RIP Eddie, 2020 can get to fuck 
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    edited October 2020
    Definitely one of the greats. First heard Eruption in 1980, really didn't know what was going on...that brown sound thing. As someone else said above, it was his rhythm work that really stood out for me. Not sure anyone else since  has used the volume pot to such great effect either.

Went searching earlier on Spotify, hadn't realised that the Pasadena live set was available - to make a Marshall sound like this in 1977 was quite something.

https://open.spotify.com/track/6Nm64EI7YCCbhIqaUaFmDb?si=D2i-MnfTRXi6mDkLVtlR5A&utm_source=copy-link
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    I've been trying to play his music, with his sound, and his class, literally every day for years. Both the most exciting and the most inspiring musician I've ever heard. Can't believe this.
  • IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    Dejected here. Nothing to do but play "unchained" at full volume and tear my neighbours' heads off.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5143
    Eruption......RIP EVH
  • dariusdarius Frets: 631
    ^^^ this.
    Volume based crankage so far tonight :
    Eruption, Cathedral, Panama, Unchained, Mean Street, I'm the One, Ice cream man, Drop Dead Legs, Hot for teacher, 5150, Spanish fly.

Goddamn it 2020.
  • spirit7spirit7 Frets: 338
    edited October 2020
    Devastating.  The greatest of all time for me, and a huge inspiration.  Raising a glass of Jack’s finest to him over here, and just turned the Marshall up loud and played “Eruption”.  Because frankly, fuck the neighbours tonight.  

RIP the King.
  • Just came on my news feed

Sad if true 

Did it excite you that much? Wow.

On a serious note, a bona fide legend. RIP Eddie

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Great guitar player .. very sad .. RIP EVH.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • GENUINELY shocked and saddened (I really mean it). VH was one of my absolute top guitar heroes. Shocked. :(
  • Heartbroken, blasting VH II now R.I.P Eddie, thank you and the band for the wonderful music.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    I've listened to a few VH tunes tonight and things like the into to 'Mean Street' still floor me. However, my favorite off-the-wall solo is Eddie's one on 'One foot out the door' also from the Fair Warning album - it kicks in at 0.55' but boy, did the guy have killer rhythm work and some of the best out there. Still can't believe this

• AornicAornic Frets: 475
    edited October 2020

Michael Jackson's Beat It had the first guitar solo I ever heard. I found it so cool, even at the age of four, and later on in life I was shocked that EVH improvised it in that one take and didn't ask for anything in return. It's on the BIGGEST selling album of all time, by a wide margin. My own exposure to Van Halen is very minimal compared, I've only listened to their first album really besides some singles like Jump and Hot For Teacher. Truth be told, their party rock thing wasn't really my thing...but the guy influenced all my influences. He single-handedly made the virtuosity of the 80s take centre-stage in heavy music both thrashy (what I like) and glam-my. It's impossible to overstate his importance, and I feel that today seeing the tributes pour in from all corners of the guitar community.

RIP to a legend's legend.
  • DCS222DCS222 Frets: 45
    Jeez, he was one who could do it all, rhythm, lead, keys, sing (his backing harmonies were amazing) sad loss of an inventive boundary skipper!!! RIP and bless your friends and family.
  • Kebabkid said:
    I've listened to a few VH tunes tonight and things like the into to 'Mean Street' still floor me. However, my favorite off-the-wall solo is Eddie's one on 'One foot out the door' also from the Fair Warning album - it kicks in at 0.55' but boy, did the guy have killer rhythm work and some of the best out there. Still can't believe this

Best album...full stop!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom