RIP Eddie Van Halen

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    @Bridgehouse If this is the "official" tribute thread, can we have a capital H on Halen please?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Philly_Q said:
    @Bridgehouse If this is the "official" tribute thread, can we have a capital H on Halen please?
    It’s a merged thread - the OP set the title.

I will edit it.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4088
    Danny1969 said:
    I actually got VH2 before I brought the first album. Spanish Fly was the jaw dropper on that album, a lot harder to play then Eruption and done on a classical guitar. 

Listening to the radio and basically all they can say is "Van Halen, best known for Jump" ..... er with 2 seconds of research they would have realised the most renowned guitarist since Jimi Hendrix had died. So glad I pay my license fee :(
    The obit in the Times wasn't much better - that hoary old tale of the brown M&Ms being put down to 'hedonism' again.

The Guardian's was better in that it showed the writer had an understanding of what EVH actually achieved, rather than a load of blather about booze and drugs.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/oct/07/eddie-van-halen-was-the-heir-to-hendrix-electric-guitar
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    p90fool said:
    I bought the first album when it came out simply because the cover looked like a rock band (I'd never heard of them) and it was jaw dropping...
    @p90fool I've only bought a few albums on spec like that...but imagine putting that one on the turntable for the first time back in the day! It would, highly appropriately, be your very own 'George McFly meets Sony Walkman' moment ;)

Probably for only the second time in my life, I feel a sense of guitar hero loss...the last time was Allan Holdsworth.

p90fool said:
    I bought the first album when it came out simply because the cover looked like a rock band (I'd never heard of them) and it was jaw dropping...
    @p90fool I've only bought a few albums on spec like that...but imagine putting that one on the turntable for the first time back in the day! It would, highly appropriately, be your very own 'George McFly meets Sony Walkman' moment

It was a bit like that, I had just started dabbling with guitar and couldn't for the life of me figure out what was going on!
  • I'll just leave this here.

Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    randella said:
    Danny1969 said:
    I actually got VH2 before I brought the first album. Spanish Fly was the jaw dropper on that album, a lot harder to play then Eruption and done on a classical guitar. 

Listening to the radio and basically all they can say is "Van Halen, best known for Jump" ..... er with 2 seconds of research they would have realised the most renowned guitarist since Jimi Hendrix had died. So glad I pay my license fee :(
    The obit in the Times wasn't much better - that hoary old tale of the brown M&Ms being put down to 'hedonism' again.

The Guardian's was better in that it showed the writer had an understanding of what EVH actually achieved, rather than a load of blather about booze and drugs.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/oct/07/eddie-van-halen-was-the-heir-to-hendrix-electric-guitar
    That's actually quite strong. He's clearly researched it properly. I've been through Ed's effect on guitar culture with one of my mates on Whatsapp this morning - he's responsible for so much it boggles the mind. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

edited October 2020
    Philly_Q said:
    It’s a merged thread - the OP set the title.

I will edit it.
    I know, but I thought it'd probably be easier to get your attention than the OP's.  Thanks. 
    randella said:

That's actually quite strong. He's clearly researched it properly. I've been through Ed's effect on guitar culture with one of my mates on Whatsapp this morning - he's responsible for so much it boggles the mind. 
    That's a really good piece.  I read their news story last night but missed the obit, maybe it hadn't been posted.
  • dubberdubber Frets: 34
    edited October 2020
    Philly_Q said:
    randella said:

That's a really good piece.  I read their news story last night but missed the obit, maybe it hadn't been posted.
    I was just about to post this, think he captured his impact perfectly ... guitar god/innovator and wrote really good/popular songs.
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1710
    edited October 2020
    Piss poor effort at a write up on the BBC news site - lots of spelling mistakes and inaccuracies... I got quite annoyed reading it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54446564

Impotently Outraged, of Wiltshire.
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 287
    A bit late on this, didn't hear until today (Wednesday)  I mwas never keen on Van Halen (the band) but Eddie was something special. Just read this on the BBC website which I never knew 

"

The son of a Dutch band leader, Van Halen was originally a pianist, playing at weddings and bar mitzvahs with his family after they emigrated to Pasadena, California, in 1962.

A prodigious talent, he beat 5,000 students to first prize in a local piano recital for four years in a row, despite being unable to read a note of music.

"I fooled my teacher for six years," he told Rolling Stone magazine in 1995. "He never knew. I'd watch his fingers, and I'd play it."

In his teens, he switched to drums, then guitar, and formed his first band with his brother Alex in 1964. The Broken Combs made their debut one lunchtime in Pasadena Elementary School, and cemented the siblings' desire to become professional musicians."

• RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    Like everyone else in the guitar world and beyond, I am shocked at the passing of EVH.  I am not and never was a fan of his music, the only tracks I can listen to without hitting the 'next track' button are: Jump and Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love.

Still, it is sad to read the news of his passing.  RIP EVH
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• I like this pic as I like Kramer pacer’s 

• randellarandella Frets: 4088
    p90fool said:
    p90fool said:
    @p90fool I've only bought a few albums on spec like that...but imagine putting that one on the turntable for the first time back in the day! It would, highly appropriately, be your very own 'George McFly meets Sony Walkman' moment

It was a bit like that, I had just started dabbling with guitar and couldn't for the life of me figure out what was going on!
    @p90fool - I can relate! Was the same when I first started - it was when I heard EVH's pinch harmonics and imagined him playing at the 33rd fret :).  Eventually I asked my dad what was going on and he showed me how to dig in with the pick.  Still my most overused crutch.

I never mastered Eddie's pickslide though.  Still trying - it's my second most overused crutch.
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 549
    edited October 2020
    I remember seeing Eddie play Eruption when Van Halen supported Black Sabbath in Manchester at the Apollo Theatre on May 22 nd 1978  . . I was 15 years old   . . I was pretty close to the Stage with a couple of my best mates and we only looked at each other when Eruption ended . . We all said more or less the exactly the same thing  . . . " Fuck me . . . What was that ??? "  . . . one of the best concerts ever . . Van Halen blew Sabbath off the stage . . . RIP Eddie, you definitely reached the Stars pal, what a phenomenal guitarist . . . Gutted ! !
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1391
    Been in a bit of shock about this all day, it’s hit me harder than I ever expected.
    such a big part of my youth and life ever since the 70s.
    Its like losing a personal friend.

Feels like this shit world just got a bit shitter.

Thanks for the good times Ed, RIP
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Anyone see the Right Here Right Now tour?

I was at the Birmingham NEC, Little Angels opened. 

Strangely my clearest memory of the gig was Sammy talking about British beer between songs and downing a can of Boddingtons!
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3491
    HerrMetal said:
    I don't feel I have the necessary eloquence to do justice to what I feel about Eddies passing. Simply expressed, for me there was just a tangible joy about his playing, every phrase, every trick, every new sound that would lift you up and bring a smile to your face. That is a truly wonderful gift. RIP.
    Absolutely this. Many news outlets refer to 'the innovation', but far more important to me was the joy, the nakedness in his playing, the communication. Often (usually) lacking in those he influenced. RIP indeed. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 200
    maw4neu said:
    I remember seeing Eddie play Eruption when Van Halen supported Black Sabbath in Manchester at the Apollo Theatre on May 22 nd 1978  . . I was 15 years old   . . I was pretty close to the Stage with a couple of my best mates and we only looked at each other when Eruption ended . . We all said more or less the exactly the same thing  . . . " Fuck me . . . What was that ??? "  . . . one of the best concerts ever . . Van Halen blew Sabbath off the stage . . . RIP Eddie, you definitely reached the Stars pal, what a phenomenal guitarist . . . Gutted ! !
    I recanted this to my 9 year old. One of the greatest stories of rock, when the old guard felt the ground shift under their feet. 

RIP Eddie. I named my cat after you and love the guitar even more so. You'll be missed for an eternity. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited October 2020
    Nice story from Bernie Marsden:

Donington Park, 1984 - AC/DC were headlining and Van Halen, Ozzy, Gary Moore and Y&T were also all on the bill. I was there as a guest that year, seeing and hanging out with some mates, Gary Moore being my closest friend on the bill. 

Gary had played his set and had been received royally as the true guitar hero he was. I told him I really wanted to go and watch Van Halen from the side of the stage, and told him to come and join me. Neither of us had seen Eddie playing live before, but I was so excited to see him play, gushing about his ability. Gary was obviously aware of the Van Halen records, and slightly reluctantly agreed to join me. I told him that I thought Eddie was the modern equivalent of Eric Clapton - his guitar style was being absorbed and obsessed over by a whole new generation of guitarists. Just like Eric did for us. Gary didn’t seem so sure! 

We took our places side stage and within a few moments Gary was transported. His mouth opening wider in awe, “Bern, I had no idea he was THIS good!”

That’s how good Eddie Van Halen was, folks - take it from Gary Moore.

Thank you EVH - you reinvented what it was to be a guitar hero

BM
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom