Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Pedalboards ? Do You Have More Than One... And If So, Why ....???

What's Hot
WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9531
edited October 2020 in FX
I've never collected pedals; I always seem to buy what I need, and then sell the remainder to then spend on more exotic
(and usually) expensive guitar related gear...

However, I think I'm coming to the realisation that I need more than one board; one for the band, and a creative (midi maybe) one for home...

With the band, I'm mainly using a couple of drives live and that's it. On Monday evening, I rehearsed with this simple board below;

So, how many boards do you have and why ?

And do you have two different types of power supply ?

And some photos would be great

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    Two - one small (PT Nano), one mid-sized (PT Jr).

The idea is the small one is a little more "plug and play" classic rock sort of thing. Currently KOT, Monuments trem, Revival Drive Compact and Deco. The bigger one is more flexible and capable of heavier stuff, plus delays, looping etc. 

The trouble I currently have is I really want to build a bigger board that includes the pedals on the smaller one, so might have a rethink

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've got two, sort of...  The board I use all the time is a Pedaltrain Metro16 but all it has on it is an HX FX and an expression pedal. I use the Line 6 power supply it came with, but that's not on the board. I've also got a huge T-Rex pedalboard that I used to gig with - but that's empty. When I was last gigging it had the HX FX on it plus an AMP1 and a BluBox. Rather underpopulated compared with my "real" pedal days.

It's not really what you were looking for, is it? Sorry! :-) 
  • I have two boards... trouble is only one of them has pedals on it, trying to sell the other (along with a very reasonably priced power supply, see press for details...)  :)
  • I’ve ended up with 4 different boards

The main board that I use with the covers band (bottom left)

A Boss bcb3 board for jams and a few small gigs which is battery powered.

A ‘toy’ board with some fun cheap and cheerful  pedals, behringer, Danelectro food series etc. For messing with at home.

An alternate board (top left) with decent pedals that I really like, don’t want to sell but don’t quite suit my gigging material at the moment.

Other than the ‘fun’ board, everything else is in storage at the moment due to renovating our house. I’m looking forward to discovering them all again as they’ve been away for a long while now.

• Got my main board that normally lives in my rehearsal space as it's a heavy bastard and I often can't be arsed to lug it home and a small home board with overdrive, delay and reverb that I use for writing at home
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    Main Board for 'normal' (i.e. Boss) sized pedals and a 'grab & go' Board for micro pedals, currently work in progress due to inventory being continually rotated and me being so capricious  =)

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24269

Pedal Train 2 - Large bass board. Powered by Gigrig Power Generator

Nano - Small bass board. 4 pedals only. Truetone CS6 power on the bottom

Pedal Train Jnr - guitar board. Powered with a Voodoo Labs PP2

• I have two - one in the house and one for gigging - the gigging one is a cut back version of the home one for transportation reasons :)
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    @ Flanging Fred, good to see a DG Stomp putting in an appearance, I've heard some really good tones coming out of them but recorded rather than live. Word on the Street I've heard is that the interface was a pain in the 'arris live. Nice to have your thoughts in that direction.     
  • dilbert said:
    @ Flanging Fred, good to see a DG Stomp putting in an appearance, I've heard some really good tones coming out of them but recorded rather than live. Word on the Street I've heard is that the interface was a pain in the 'arris live. Nice to have your thoughts in that direction.     
    I haven’t tried using it live yet, I bought it fo plug into my hifi at home and it worked well for that. 

You could set it up for live use but it would indeed be a bit of a pain depending on how many sounds you actually need.  If you needed a bank per song (with 3 patches per bank) you could do it If the set list is set in stone and you just step through. If the singer decides to unexpectedly swap some songs around in the set to ‘maintain a crowd vibe’ then you’re a bit buggered as it would take some fairly intricate scrolling of banks which would take while and slow everything down again. 

I agree it’s a nice sounding bit of kit and still stands up well given it’s age but the interface does really illustrate how things have improved over the last decade or so.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    At home, experimenting, I can have 20 pedals in a chain or 2 and all sorts of mixtures so I don't have a pedal board at home . 
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    edited October 2020
    Guilty as charged. 2 pedalboards - one "analogue" (the Flint and DD-200 have analogue dry-through. Although the Boss Wireless is digital, it does have the option of plugging in via cable) on a Metro 20 powered by a  Truetone CS6 and a Digital board on a Palmer Pedlabay 40 powered by a Strymon Ojai. As to why? Err, you got me.....I guess the analogue board is more compact and straightforward and the digital board lets gives more variety but takes more time to dial in/ programme. Both have their place, depending on my mood/ requirements.

• MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1559
    Three: One board for the band which lives at our rehearsal space, one board for home and a mini P’train Nano for jams & open mics.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    edited October 2020
    I keep pedals that I like, so generally have multiple boards. When I used to work alot I always had an all-purpose one, one for my band and one for home.

These days helix covers all my needs and only a whammy and mercury 7 extra.

Still got a big enough collection though, just not being put to use.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11875
    edited October 2020
    I have a big one that i put together because I thought I needed all that stuff, that one basically never get used.  I have a smaller one which I love.  Why do I keep the big one? No fricking clue, apart from being vain I guess because I haven't actually used that in a while.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    I have three boards and some loose pedals. 

The 'band' board has two synth pedals, two overdrives and a delay. The 'Slacker' board currently has a couple of drives, trem, wah, auto wah and a reverb. The grab and go board has a twin channel overdrive and a delay with presets. The 'chuck the zvex pedals in a backpack with no board' board consists of a fuzz factory and a lofi looper. If you keep switching the looper on and off you can use it as a quasi delay. 

Most of my choices on any board come down to overdrive and delay/reverb. 
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    i've got two
    big'un
    little'un
  • Two boards

1 for guitar
    1 for synths 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • JotaJota Frets: 464
    edited October 2020
    There was a time when I had a board for my band with a multi fx and a couple of pedals and a smaller board to play my stuff at home.
    Now I have only one board although I only use half of it with the band. But it's small enough and I still can have the extra pedals I use for my stuff at home.

• I have 2.  One smaller board with 6 pedals on, which was my blues band board and a larger board for my pub rock band; powered by CS6 and CS12, respectively. 

But since lockdown,  both have folded, so considering off loading them.
    Don't let your mind post toastee - like a lot of my friends did!