How to write a chord progression???

If you are new to guitar. Writing a chord sequence might seem it of your depth

Within 5 mins I'm going to make you realise that you can create a chord progression that will match 98% of songs in the charts. When you realise how easy it is you will laugh

Firstly many songs are written in a major key. People love this sound. It's nice on the ears, so we continually write with the same scale, same chords. This has happened over century's.

When I start composition with students I take them through a simple task. ….

In a major scale the are 7 note so 7 chords. If you jump on a key board I will take you through this. We are going to use the key of C as it has no black notes. (I'll tell you a couple of cheats to change the key so your chords match your voice later on)

1. on a keyboard play CEG. This is a pretty basic chord to learn. Odds on any school kid is taught this.

2. Keep this shape and keep moving it to the right so you hit DFA then EGB and keep going until you get back to CEG. You will find the is 7 chords.

3. Get a piece of paper and write some blank bars to fill in. Ideally 4 bars because most music is in sets of 4.

4. We are going to leave out the 7th chord because it's not popular in modern music. So we have chords 1–6.

5. With your 6 numbers, randomly place numbers in the bars

6. Then with 4 beats on each chords, play your progression

7. Do this process 5 more times and you will have enough sequences to piece together different sections

You will hopefully find any order of these chords works! Some you will like more than others. Some will suit verses more, some will suit choruses more, some will make a great middle 8. Most you will realise are famous songs lol

You will realise most songs simply use these 6 chords.

Tip: If the chords don't match your voice. Use the transpose bottom on your keyboard or put a capo on your guitar. Move this around until your chords fit your voice. It'll be the same sequence just shifted up or down in pitch.

Hope this helps

David McNamara

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Nice tip David, but most of us don't own keyboards! 
    “Ken sent me.”
  • I hear you. But it's an easier way to get instant results. Then when you have the chords, transfer them onto guitar. Thanks
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Nice tip David, but most of us don't own keyboards! 
    I don't think the keyboard really makes any difference, just follow the rest of his steps of writing down numbers that correspond to chords from a key and play them on guitar.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Contemporary pop is 100% diatonic. It's like listening to wallpaper. Very shiny wallpaper
  • AntonUkAntonUk Frets: 96
    Nice tip man! Thanks :)