Dent in Acoustic guitar, do I need to worry about it

What's Hot
Hi all, noticed a dent running down the front of my Big Baby Taylor, photos below. Do I need to be worried about this? Will it break if I accidentally knock it? Is there anything I can do to make it stronger? Tape? Varnish? Start saving for a Gretsch Jim Dandy?

Thank you
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• brooombrooom Frets: 1170
    edited October 2020
    I'd worry about the screw you have in the fretboard. The dent, not so much.

Just joking man, from the photos it doesn't seem like the line coming off of the dent is a crack, just looks scratched, maybe I'm seeing wrong?
  • brooom said:
    It's a bolt on neck, I don't think it would stay in place very well without it!
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 349
    Looks like cosmetic damage to me.  Nothing structural to worry about.
  • A scratch is perhaps a better description, it's quite hard to show the relief of it but if I run my finger over it, it kind of feels like a scratch but it's not fully cracked. I just wondered if it might crack as the scratch seems to go down the grain.

It's not a very good guitar but I'd rather replace it out of choice than out of necessity of dumping it
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1170
    It looks cosmetic from the photo. Don't think it will develop into a crack on it's own. But maybe someone more knowledgeable will be able to chime in.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71953
    It's hard to tell if it's a crack or a scratch - it does *nearly* follow the wood grain, but runs across the lines in one place which makes me think it's more likely a scratch which just happens to be very nearly parallel with the grain and whatever did it has bounced over it there.

To tell which it is, put your hand inside the guitar and gently press upwards on the top directly under the line. If it's a crack it will open up - which also makes it easy to work some glue into it. If it doesn't, it's just a scratch and nothing to worry about.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18376
    edited October 2020
    brooom said:

Just joking man, from the photos it doesn't seem like the line coming off of the dent is a crack, just looks scratched, maybe I'm seeing wrong?
    That's not a screw, its a Braille inlay...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • brooom said:

That's not a screw, its a Braille inlay...
    Yes it's a braille inlay for the lyrics to the first line of Love is All Around

"I feel it in my fingers...."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers all for th info, think it's just a scratch, just wanted to check it wasn't about to fall to pieces and whether there was anything i could do about it if so. All good then!
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 727
    On the crack or scratch thing. Cracks on old guitars are partly due to strain forces on the top from years of string tension and the lower bout would be a less common area for that. Also your line crosses the grain whereas a crack would tend to follow the grain. Not always but usually.

Things to do. Find a suitable mirror and torch and see if the defect is visible from wihin the sound box. Then get a straight edge metal ruler and place the straight edge across the defect from outside in a variety of planes. If the top looks OK from inside and remains flat across the line with a straight edge then I suspect it is what it looks like - a scratch.

For definitive answer take it to a luthier. If it is a scratch they should be able to remove it and refinish the top too!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks guys, you have restored my optimism that 'tis but a mere scratch and it's not going to fall apart. It's not a great guitar and has always felt a bit flimsy to be honest so my concern was kind of based on that really.

And as it's a fairly crap instrument, I do resent spending money on it haha hence I've never liked to get a setup or looked into finishing the top, if it was a nice sounding thing then I might have done so as the top surface does seem a strange texture and oddly dry. I'm not sure how it got like that or whether that's how they all are? I got it in a trade for a multi effects pedal when I needed an acoustic quickly for a sort of gig so I didn't pay too much attention beyond the basics
  • I looks just like a scratch to me - personally I wouldn't worry about it
  • steersteer Frets: 1159
    Willie Nelson wasn't bothered about dents and scratches and wear because he loved the tone of his guitar

Trigger guitar - Wikipedia
  • steer said:
    Willie Nelson wasn't bothered about dents and scratches and wear because he loved the tone of his guitar

Trigger guitar - Wikipedia
    Haha blimey. Though in fairness, I don't really like this guitar I just don't want to have to go through the ordeal of trying to find another cheap one that is any better, especially if it was going to fall apart from I wouldn't even be able to sell it on. Though at least that seems unlikely to occur so that's fine by me