A question about Peach Guitars

What's Hot
Yesterday evening, I pulled the trigger on a Larrivee OM-02 (don't ask, I just did, ok?).

Today I emailed Peach and asked if it would have a set up before it gets sent out to me.

Their response doesn't exactly inspire confidence - "all guitars that leave us go into the tech, he checks them all over to make sure they meet factory standards before they get shipped out."

That doesn't sound like a set up to me.

Am I wrong?
If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• S56035S56035 Frets: 1119
    The two are different things aren't they? Setup is your particular preferences, they're saying the check it over. I got an Eastman from Peach a while ago and had clearly been looked at and adjusted before it got to me.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2285
    Without knowing what you prefer, it’s impossible for a retailer to ‘set up’ a guitar before they send it out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12325
    I ordered an electric from andertons and asked if it would be checked, they said if you call the support dept they will make sure it’s checked. 

I called and they took my order number and the chap said he had checked it personally. 

It was impossible to intonate and I took it to a tech and the nut had to be recut as it was woeful. 
  • I appreciate it won't be utterly perfect without knowing precisely what I like, but this just sounds like a once over, rather than making sure it's playable.

Whatever, we'll see, I suppose. They haven't told me when it's due to arrive, either. :-S Hey ho.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • I bought a very expensive Martin from GuitarGuitar recently and I had to have a local luthier make me a new nut. I think generally these days unless you're actually in the shop, your guitar is only going to get a very perfunctory look over.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    Credit where credit's due - I ordered a ES-335 from Peach recently and I must say that it came very well set up. Action not low enough for me, but I'm not normal like that.

On the question of setting up acoustic guitars, I really should commend Coda this week. I was dithering about buying one of the new 50's Gibson LG-2's, because I'm not a very good acoustic player and the thing that puts me off most is high action and stiff string tension.

I talked to John in the acoustic department and expressed my reservations, so he said that it would be set up how I wanted it, with any necessary adjustments to the saddle, nut, 11 gauge strings etc. I decided to go for it and Coda's tech (another John) phoned me just to check that I did actually want the action so low that the strings were almost behind the neck.

Anyway, it came to me the next day and it was really excellent. Obviously, I'll shave the saddle and I've put some balanced tension Newtone strings on and fiddle with it until it's unplayable as usual, but I was very impressed with Coda.

I wouldn't have bought it without that help and advice, so if @DougCoda would pass on my thanks to the acoustic chaps, that would be great. It makes all the difference between buying (and being a return customer) and not buying.

Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ah well, we'll see what turns up when it turns up. I can always send it back, I suppose.
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    DB1 said:
    Credit where credit's due - I ordered a ES-335 from Peach recently and I must say that it came very well set up. Action not low enough for me, but I'm not normal like that.

On the question of setting up acoustic guitars, I really should commend Coda this week. I was dithering about buying one of the new 50's Gibson LG-2's, because I'm not a very good acoustic player and the thing that puts me off most is high action and stiff string tension.

I talked to John in the acoustic department and expressed my reservations, so he said that it would be set up how I wanted it, with any necessary adjustments to the saddle, nut, 11 gauge strings etc. I decided to go for it and Coda's tech (another John) phoned me just to check that I did actually want the action so low that the strings were almost behind the neck.

Anyway, it came to me the next day and it was really excellent. Obviously, I'll shave the saddle and I've put some balanced tension Newtone strings on and fiddle with it until it's unplayable as usual, but I was very impressed with Coda.

I wouldn't have bought it without that help and advice, so if @DougCoda would pass on my thanks to the acoustic chaps, that would be great. It makes all the difference between buying (and being a return customer) and not buying.

Just a side note. What do you think of those new 50s Gibsons?
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    I haven’t spent much time with it, in all honesty, but I like the feel of the LG-2. It feels more rounded than the L-00s, with more bass, but still sounds real for the Blues stuff. 

It can can also do the cowboy chords without feeling or sounding boxy.

I like it a lot so far.
    Call me Dave.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    It’s not possible to ask for a “setup“ when you haven’t provided any information for them to work from. As a retailer their QC is exemplary but I think it’s pushing it a little to ask for a “setup” with no detail as to what you prefer. Email them back with a few specifics and I’m sure Tom will do what he can for you. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2010
    edited October 2020
    It’s not possible to ask for a “setup“ when you haven’t provided any information for them to work from. As a retailer their QC is exemplary but I think it’s pushing it a little to ask for a “setup” with no detail as to what you prefer. Email them back with a few specifics and I’m sure Tom will do what he can for you. 
    I've obviously said the wrong here, in the sense that I used a term incorrectly.

When I said set up, I meant will it be playable in a reasonable way, with a full personal set up to my specifics later on. Of course they can't do a full on "This is for you", I wasn't expecting that and didn't mean it.

I had an email from John Priest last night, who was quite upset about a couple of the comments on here, so I'll be getting back in touch with him to say sorry in a bit.

I apologise for clumsily stirring up a hornet's nest.
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    Peach is one of the few shops where I feel confident that I won’t receive a lemon because they actually do QC unlike all the box shifters.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    I ordered an Eastman acoustic from Peach. They highlighted some swirling on the top and offered a discount before dispatch. When it arrived the low E was cut so poorly it kept falling off the board. They paid for a new nut to be cut and fitted by my tech. 

They were great to deal with even if the nut was a bit disappointing. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    edited October 2020
    I had an email from John Priest last night, who was quite upset about a couple of the comments on here, so I'll be getting back in touch with him to say sorry in a bit.

I apologise for clumsily stirring up a hornet's nest.
    I’m not surprised he’s done this.

His business replies to your e-mail with complete transparency (ie: ‘We’ll make sure it plays properly but it might not fit your exact requirements’) and you then question the reply publicly, rather than seeking clarification from them.

Reputations in music retail are hard won - and they have one of the best.

I’m not having a pop - but I wish people would consider the impact on a business before posting stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2010
    edited October 2020
    It was a bit difficult to question his reply personally, given that I didn't see it until gone 8pm, when he'd clearly gone home for the night.

And what upset John Priest wasn't me, but a few of the other comments here about apparent bad service and experiences.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    I think John is basically saying his salesman should have responded better. I can’t imagine John getting miffed about general comments here given how well respected they are. My own experiences with them have been flawless and more so how good their customer service is AFTER the purchase.

Anyone can take your money, not everyone can handle an post sale issue. Peach are definitely a business you should be happy to deal with 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I think a guitar should be 'perfectly playable' when bought new. Getting it set up exactly how you like it is a different kettle of fish.

Acoustics should probably have a high action because it makes more sense to be able to lower it than trying to raise it.
  • GTCGTC Frets: 263
    I've bought several guitars from Peach via mail order (but not for a couple of years). Each time I informed them of my setup requirements and string choice and what I received was was pretty close, erring on the cautious side for safety. 

I've found them very helpful and easy to deal with.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    I think John is basically saying his salesman should have responded better. I can’t imagine John getting miffed about general comments here given how well respected they are. My own experiences with them have been flawless and more so how good their customer service is AFTER the purchase.

Anyone can take your money, not everyone can handle an post sale issue. Peach are definitely a business you should be happy to deal with 
    Spot on. Having had the experience of dealing with them in the past I wouldn't hesitate to use them again, safe in the knowledge that they will do whatever they can to rectify any issues. 

Just to clarify, they also offered for me to return the guitar free of any charges. I'm glad I kept it because it's a fantastic instrument. 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5402
    Peach are as good as it gets. Never had a duff guitar from them yet and I buy loads from them “blind”. Never usually give them any setup requirements but they do get inspected and perfected. We also know that John personally rejects the “dogs” and sends them back to the manufacturers - so he’s already filtering out what hits his shop pegs with a certain level of QC.