Pedalsnake alternative

What's Hot
andyg_prsandyg_prs Frets: 57
Hi,

I want to tidy up a bundle that is currently DC power, 3 x mono guitar leads, 1 x TRS lead for channel switching.....and I may add in a midi cable.  Pedalsnake would do the job but super expensive considering I have all the leads already.

Googling, I saw Pedal Python but available in the States only. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbjeSn_aFgs

I'm wondering if this material would stretch in the same way (I can't believe Pedal Python created their own material)....considering I've got multiple bulky plugs (Whirwind / neutrik) at the ends of the cables.

It looks like it does from the 3rd picture...but you can never really tell  https://www.amazon.co.uk/PET-Braided-Cable-Sleeve-25ft/dp/B07FTR79K2/ref=pd_ybh_a_6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KR7WC00T4K3MEB2AXDJP

After that I'd have to work out what diameter I need for the cables.

Thanks,
Andy
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    That stuff works... but, you will have to desolder the plugs on one end of each cable to pull the cables through, it’s a bitch to pull them through and they are a fucker to coil up again once they are done... plus, if you do knacker one of your cables you have to take it all to pieces to replace the broken cable... and that is a real pain in the arse as the sleeve acts like a Chinese finger trap and won’t let go of the cable...

don’t ask how I know this!...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ah - desoldering and not coiling up = non-starter!
  • I use Musik produktiv's loom service:

Some dude named Karl makes them for you - he'll customise them for next to no upcharge - they are bullet proof :)

• They do look good! Trouble is, I need 2 extra cables (TRS/9v power) and I chop n change (midi may not stay) which is why sheathing my own cables or finding a secondhand modular pedalsnake feels most appropriate...
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    edited October 2020
    not used personally but have seen similar used in industrial IT setups

there maybe other companies doing longer runs or cut to your size - or alternatively just buy a few .
  • What about a few reusable zip tiles to bundle them together?
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    If you're likely to chop and change and don't want anything too permanent, just do what we do with temporary cable looms on tour and put a wrap of (black, of course!) PVC tape every six inches. So long as you're stretching it out and keeping them nice and tight together each go, you'll end up with a tidy loom that's still easy to coil, and no big hassle to undo and change the configuration in future. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I got a pedal python delivered to uk - a very good product.  Have rethreaded the cables several times.   
  • Why not just get this:

https://www.studiospares.com/studiospares-8-way-loom-stereo-jack-5m-balanced_689540.htm?gclid=Cj0KCQjw2or8BRCNARIsAC_ppyblwxWmutEqW-ytfPs5Q-MqzUFlYeC6Z7_1_2JIsrtIL4T7MhDc224aAt7IEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

...then you can snip two of the leads, leave one as TRS, put mono jacks on three, turn one into your DC power and you could even MIDI the other one since it only requires three conductors.

Total cost would probably be about £50. Then you can keep your old cables as backup.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi,

This is a great thread and I hope ends up being useful for many people as it has been for me. 

I managed to snag a Pedalsnake for £50 delivered yesterday which I think is a great deal. The bundle would have been over £200 new!

The studio spares loom is a great price although 8-way strikes me as slight overkill.  

The pedal python looks the best and cheapest sheathing method for existing cables - how much shipped? Well the tape is cheaper but I’m too ocd to use that on my whirlwinds :). I have currently got Velcro ties every few inches - it works but it’s not as compact / neat as I’d like. 

Cheers
    Andy
  • Reverb suggests £16.89 shipping. 
  • Reverb suggests £16.89 shipping. 
    Hmm, say you buy £25 worth of bits, £17 shipping, from experience it then gets stopped in customs and you pay another £16 of handling fees and vat...so £58...more if somehow parcelforce decide they have to courier it from the airport to you (it happens!)...  so far the pedalsnake 2nd hand and getting my whirlwind leads freed up for other things has worked out best. 

Although I’m still going to have to buy p line adapters for the dc to the board - if I like the Pedalsnake and don’t sell it on...what an adventure ;)
  • So, I got the pedalsnake...but turned out to be 24 foot and therefore bulkier than I wanted.  If anyone is interested, let me know before I put it up for sale.....which I'll probably start off at £80+......but I'll let it go for cost, if someone wants it here, quickly :)

• I’ve still got a pedal python (approx 10 ft) I’m not using that I could be persuaded to part with.  
  • I’ve still got a pedal python (approx 10 ft) I’m not using that I could be persuaded to part with.  
    is that your offcut ;)  It sounds great....but would only do 10/18ths of the job :)  would that work?

• andyg_prs said:
    I’ve still got a pedal python (approx 10 ft) I’m not using that I could be persuaded to part with.  
    is that your offcut ;)  It sounds great....but would only do 10/18ths of the job :)  would that work?

Doesn’t sound like it.  I had 4 x 10ft cables in it (4 cable method), about 8 inches of exposed cable at both ends.  
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 639
    How about this sort of stuff https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/cable-spiral-wrapping/0227980/ I use it to keep the cables on my rack shelves in one bunch. I think I got mine from a different vendor but can't for the life of me think where.
  • I’ve used that before; fine for fixed cables but it doesn’t hold the cables firmly or allow you to coil and uncoil - at least not the stuff I used.
  • steersteer Frets: 1159
    normula1 said:
    How about this sort of stuff https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/cable-spiral-wrapping/0227980/ I use it to keep the cables on my rack shelves in one bunch. I think I got mine from a different vendor but can't for the life of me think where.
    I got something like that from the pound shop, or some kind of Home Bargain type store once. Worked well, and kind of "unzipped" quickly. Really can't think of a down side.

The fact that the OP video is over 20 minutes long tends to make me think that whatever he is demoing has to be way OTT to tidy up a few cables.