Fretbuzz on one fret

What's Hot
ZonularZonular Frets: 62
Hey guys 
I've got fret buzz on one fret (15th on the a string)
No problems elsewhere, how do I solve it?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    edited October 2020
    Is the fifteenth fret the position where you hear a buzz or the actual fret on which the A string is fouling?

Buzz on a single, isolated fret indicates either that the buzzy fret is too tall or that a fret lower down the neck is too low.

Repairers check for high and low spots with a straight edge (or a Fret Rocker tool). 

If there is scope, it may be possible to tap a raised fret down. If the fret is already fully down against the fingerboard, the high fret wire needs to be abraded until it better matches the fret heights to either side of it. 

You have not made clear whether your bass has four strings or five. There could be a neck straightness or truss rod(s) adjustment issue. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ZonularZonular Frets: 62
    Four string, when fretting the a string on the 15th fret
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1937
    If it's only just started then sounds like a fret beyond the 15th has popped up. You can reseat it with some very watery luthiers superglue. It's not likely to be a truss rod adjustment fix because the truss rod has done it's job by the time it gets to the 15th fret really. If it's a high fret then you have no choice but to spot level and recrown it. Not difficult once you've identified which fret it is. Put some magic marker on the fret crowns before you start removing fret material to make sure you are hitting the high spot and not removing fret material elsewhere. Crown it with a fret file and polish. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ZonularZonular Frets: 62
    Cheers guys