Rubberneck Delay.... Do I want one?

What's Hot
ShipwreckShipwreck Frets: 60
edited October 2020 in FX
What do people think of the DOD Rubberneck? 

I'm weirdly GAS-ing for one. Fallen out of love with my simple 'shut up and leave it' TT digital delay and was planning to squeeze a small analogue delay in. I've rearranged the proverbial furniture and have enough space for something bigger. (although not quite DMM sized...)

Ultimately I like intuitive effects that I can tweak but not be paralysed by. Whilst I must admit the 'Rubber' effect does little for me (and turned me off this pedal when it launched) the basic delay tone sounds... really good? And I dig the tone/drive controls to get things to pair up better. 

Welcome all thoughts. Lots of demos seems to play on the novelty effects but I'm curious how it rolls as an every-day delay for natural ambience/plays with fuzz pedals ... rather than the sound fx or the P&W stuff.

Cheers! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Its the closest thing to a moog mf104m i have ever owned.
    I really, really liked mine and think for the money it cannot be touched.

Rubbernecking and modulation was a bit meh (mod becomes too mental past 9 o'clock). However everything else is very, very good.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    I couldn't get much joy out of mine. Odd because I love delay and other people rave about them but it's probably the least favourite delay I've owned, and I've had a few. 

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2284
    I was put off trying one by the silly OTT modulation in some of the demos.

If you want to try a small-footprint analog delay with usable modulation I suggest either the Carbon Copy (a tad dark mind) or EHX Memory Toy (less dark and much cheaper).
  • dandldandl Frets: 36
    I was torn between this and the EHX Memory Boy Deluxe which I ended up going for. I love mine, it sits really nicely behind your playing and adds a lovely ambient wash if you keep the feedback relatively high without turning it all  to mush. 

Might be worth you checking out.

• joetelejoetele Frets: 948
    I sold mine stupidly to get something else but regretted it and bought another it offers so much but is simple to use. Timeless pedal. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12885
    edited October 2020
    It's really very good indeed.

The modulation can get a bit OTT but just keep it low on the dial if you don't want that. The basic delay sounds really good and is stupidly variable given the drive and tone controls. 

The feature set it has is almost unbeatable for the price. Absolutely worth trying. 

• Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3013
    edited October 2020
    I’ve had/have a fair few delays and nothing has sounded quite like the Rubberneck. To me it’s a very soft and squishy, dark sounding delay and excels at textural type stuff rather than strong rhythmic delays. It seems more suited to ambient/alternative/experimental music rather than straight ahead rock/pop stuff.

I agree that the mod is way overcooked and is really only useable for about 1/3 of the pot travel. 

The fx loop is fun, putting a flanger or step phaser in it causes all sorts of cool noises.

I also found that certain dirt pedals don’t seem to mesh with it well. However I found that a Hudson. Broadcast really suited it and is a great combo.

I wouldn’t have a rubberneck as my only delay as I also like crisper more defined delays that the Rubberneck simply can’t do but I’m very happy to have one in my stash of pedals.
  • A bit of step phaser in the loop.

https://youtu.be/F7jMtlncPBw
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fantastic. Thanks for all the feedback - and please do share your thoughts. Glad I'm not alone in being turned off by the OTT effects - but interesting to hear there's some love for the basic core tone. Weirdly my current delay is a very hi-fi 2290 territory because on YouTube I've always loved that clean percussive sound... but in practice I want something murkier that doesn't get in the way of my playing. Will keep mulling it over... with one eye on the Classifieds.!. 
  • I just lost the last couple of hours playing with mine. I’ve had it since it came out and can’t see me ever selling it, it’s a great analogue delay and I’d say very intuitive to use. I never use the rubberneck/modulation but do play around with the gain and tone depending on the sound I’m after. The controls are really interactive and pretty sensitive. The oscillations can get out of control if you’re not careful but I like playing around with that feature for dub style stuff. I like it as outboard delay for a DAW too, not just for guitars. I also have a Flashback for clean/precise delay but use the Rubberneck much more. It’s a bit big but that does mean the controls are easier to use, as in you can change the time, level and repeats with your feet!
  • That sounds great mate. I missed out on eBay for 120ish but tempted by Thomann @ 145 all in. Does anyone know if these are/will be discontinued? Thought DOD were dead in the water...!
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    I was quite disappointed at first, I found it really hard to dial in and the modulation was too ott. I could never quite get the effect balence right.

However I didn't get rid and tried it again a year later with a different setup and really liked it. Good basic tone and a small amount of modulation is where the good stuff sits.
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    Shipwreck said:
    That sounds great mate. I missed out on eBay for 120ish but tempted by Thomann @ 145 all in. Does anyone know if these are/will be discontinued? Thought DOD were dead in the water...!
    I can't work out the pattern for what's being discontinued and what isn't. Like, the Dirty Robot & the Nautilus I understand weren't big sellers, but the Polara? Seems daft to get rid of that, it's already creeping up in value on the used market.
  • joetele said:
    I sold mine stupidly to get something else but regretted it and bought another it offers so much but is simple to use. Timeless pedal. 
    Same here! Sold it a couple of years ago despite loving it. Having since been through a few expensive digital delays, I found myself pining for the organic sounds of the Rubberneck. Today I got hold of another, and it sounds so damn good. Such a great pedal.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I use one and I really like it. It's got a lot of character and the sound is great. The controls are sensitive and interactive so sometimes it can surprise you or go into oscillation very easily. For me this is part of its charm. I imagine some people would want something a bit more predictable. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    A bit of step phaser in the loop.

https://youtu.be/F7jMtlncPBw
    @Flanging_Fred bit of a thread revival going on here but that sounds really quite lovely. 

The Pedal Experiments chap often uses a Rubberneck

https://youtu.be/RWEG00NyUFc

I don’t think I’d seen this one before, it’s really freaky…

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • To add to the thread revival...

I've got both the EHX DMB, and the Rubber neck. I love them both, but they are very different.

The EHX is a lovely dirty delay, very thick sounding, and works well before my drives. And the expression routing is really useful; I had a preset swith made by Bright Onion, which i use to give two feedback amounts.. 

i find that the core tone of Rubberneck is cleaner in comparison, but sits really well in the mix. I found using the FS3X footswitch with it made it more gig friendly, as you can use it to turn the mod on and off, and it makes the rubbernecking instantaneous, as opposed to the momentary delay with engaging, when using the On/Off/Rubberneck switch.
    Lots of Nice Guitars, and not enough pedals!