Epiphone EBO. Still worth a punt?

Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1385
Is it "o" as in the letter o or is zero?
Anyhow, I have a Gibson SG faded bass, and have seen some EBOs show up locally for fairly cheap (€150 where I am) asking. Could probably haggle a bit lower. Used, the ones I've seen come with flatwounds and one has an upgraded nut.
Picked up the Gibson initially cheap, so could possibly sell for a small profit, pick up EBO, and plough funds into other areas of GAS.
On the other hand I already have a Gibson SG bass, which in theory, should be a far superior version of the EBO.....
GAS....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26754
    edited October 2020
    Assuming you have this SG bass with 2 pickup and 30.5" scale (essentially an EB-3 as far as I can tell), and are looking at this EB-0 with 1 pickup and 30.5" scale, then I'm not sure I see any point. 

Unless you're worried about wanting something cheaper to take to shady gig venues, or if you're desperate to have one with flats and one without? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Assuming you have this SG bass with 2 pickup and 30.5" scale (essentially an EB-3 as far as I can tell), and are looking at this EB-0 with 1 pickup and 30.5" scale, then I'm not sure I see any point. 

Unless you're worried about wanting something cheaper to take to shady gig venues, or if you're desperate to have one with flats and one without? 
    More so I'd never see the SG bass being a "main" bass, but a bird in the hand I suppose....

Yes, it's the worn ebony one I have. I'm too trigger happy is my problem. If I can pick up the EBO Epi, I'll A/B for a few months and decide which to keep!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    EB-zero. The Gibson range started with the EB-1 (violin bass), then the EB-2 (semi-acoustic), then the EB-0 (Les Paul Special shape), then the revised EB-0 and EB-3 (SG shape).

The Epiphones are actually fantastic value for money, but unless you need a cheap gigging backup, there's probably not much point in having one if you already have a Gibson - which is essentially an EB-3, I don't know why they changed the name.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    edited October 2020
    The Gibson “SG Bass” has NV, BV, MT controls like a Fender Jazz Bass rather than the 2V, 2T, selector switch of the EB-3 (to say nothing of the rotary Vari-Tone).
    Be seeing you.
  • The Gibson “SG Bass” has NV, BV, MT controls like a Fender Jazz Bass rather than the 2V, 2T, selector switch of the EB-3 (to say nothing of the rotary Vari-Tone).
    Yes, I should have said Gibson SG Bass, as it's not an EB at all.
    I should have said Gibson SG Bass
    You have done consistently throughout this thread.  :)

Picked up the Gibson initially cheap, so could possibly sell for a small profit, pick up EBO, and plough funds into other areas of GAS.
    I find this paragraph very telling. To me, it suggests that you like the deal you got on the Gibson bass almost as much, if not more, than you like playing the thing. Your willingness to sell to finance other projects reinforces the notion that the Gibson is not essential to your musical activities.

In other threads, you have been contemplating buying a mid-price Fender bass guitar with a view towards modifying it. (B.A.S., perhaps?)

IMHO, if you have the wherewithal to tinker with several mid-price bass guitar projects, you should be within striking distance of one professional quality American, British, German or Japanese keeper. 

Obviously, one bog standard workhorse is not as much fun as numerous unique-to-you projects but, for paid engagements, it would be the thing to have.

Be seeing you.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1385
    edited October 2020
    @Funkfingers yep, I have parts in theory to put together a J or P bass over the next while. Whichever it will be, it'll have a maple fretboard J neck. I would imagine that being the "main" player. I am mainly a guitarist I must add but hope to gig bass live when and if things get back to some kind of normality.
    I got a good deal on the SG bass and you are correct, if I just took the plunge over the years I could have a a few top of the line instruments and would have spent less than what I have been doing wheeling and dealing
    I'm also tinkering with a squier bronco bass and a strat project  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    The Gibson “SG Bass” has NV, BV, MT controls like a Fender Jazz Bass rather than the 2V, 2T, selector switch of the EB-3 (to say nothing of the rotary Vari-Tone).
    That's true, but it has the same pickups, and with all the controls up full (isn't that how everyone uses a Gibson bass? ;) ) then it's going to be pretty similar. I'm not sure why they didn't just call it an EB-3 - they've modified the wiring of other guitars by at least that much and kept the name.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 345
    Yes, the Epis are great value and nice to play.  I bought an EB3 for a friend and wish I had kept it for myself.  Cheap as chips.
    What I really gas after is an EB2, but they are mighty rare in these parts.
  • Pickup and bridge aside, I have read about neck issues with the Epi EBO but not sure if that's just bad luck or not.
    I have heard about the neck dive with the EB3 which is long scale right? That put me off. 
    Again, there's so little on the actual guitar, you'd think less can go wrong!
  • I have an Epi EB0 which was my bass of choice before the lockdown. Arthritic fingers find the short scale a lot better to play and the tone suits my style of music too, blues stuff. There is a problem with neck dive however, I have tried lots of the 'cures' that are available online but haven't yet found one that actually cures the problem. As far as I am aware, the EB3 is the same scale bass with the extra pickup. If you can handle the neck dive issue, I say go for it.
  • @trikelops I think the EB3 is 34 inch and the EB0 30.5 inch, though I stand to be corrected.
    The Gibson bass I have doesn't have neck dive, or at least I haven't noticed it...
    34” scale = EB3L
    Be seeing you.
  • @trikelops I think the EB3 is 34 inch and the EB0 30.5 inch, though I stand to be corrected.
    The Gibson bass I have doesn't have neck dive, or at least I haven't noticed it...
    Have you tried holding it by the strap when you take the guitar off, roughly where your shoulder would be? Mine sinks headfirst toward the floor. Tried balancing it using lead weight in behind the pots etc but to no avail. It is a great guitar to play but my left shoulder hurts pretty badly after a 2-3 hour gig spent holding the neck up. Mind you, I do suffer from osteo arthritis as well.
  • @trikelops no never tried that but I can’t think of a scenario where I’d be holding it by the strap :)
    Seems ok strapped on but I’ve not gigged it yet 
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    @Creed_Clicks I think trikelops means to define the point of balance by holding the strap.
  • mbe said:
    @Creed_Clicks I think trikelops means to define the point of balance by holding the strap.
    ah right, I get you. I haven't found any issues with it. I did strap it on when I got it to see about the whole neck dive issue, but so far, nothing that would have put me off it. Bar the rattle out of the neck pickup.
  • Sounds like you need the Epi Custom Shop 60's  short scale EB3 with dot markers?

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Just tangentially, the bassist in my band has an Epiphone Thunderbird and it is an exceptional instrument regardless of budget
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    edited October 2020