Acoustic panels...

What's Hot
Should this be in the studio section? I’ll stick it here I guess!...

Ok... today is spent making acoustic panels for the music room...

bought a sheet of 18mm ply and ripped it to 80mm planks 

Grabbed some mineral fibre slabs... these have a density of 45kg/m3 so are more than up to task... plus, with that density I can make them thinner... only 50mm needed...

Frame cut so the opening is 1200mm x 600mm... same size as the slabs.

Braces added to the back to strengthen and to stop the rookwool falling out!...

Which gets me to this stage:

I have some hessian on it’s way to cover the panel and also some lightweight material to stop the rockwool falling out the back...

total cost so far? £105 which will get me 5 each of 1200mm x 600mm panels and two floor to ceiling bass traps!...

the cheapest I could find online was £80 per small panel!!!!
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Nicely done, being time-poor I plan on getting some of the Studiospares ones, cheap, but not as cheap and possibly not as good as yours

https://www.studiospares.com/studio-gear/acoustic-panels/acoustic-panel-1200-x-600-x-25mm-purple_465830.htm
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    They’re not expensive!!!! Blimey... not that thick tho’... 25mm

• WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    poopot said:
    with that density I can make them thinner... only 50mm needed...
    poopot said:
    25mm
    Guys, before you make a big mistake, bear in mind that broadband traps need to be a minimum of 100mm mounted 100mm away from walls and ceiling, otherwise you will have only a high frequency trap. See for yourself at www.acousticmodelling.com.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    Whistler said:
    poopot said:
    with that density I can make them thinner... only 50mm needed...
    poopot said:
    25mm
    Guys, before you make a big mistake, bear in mind that broadband traps need to be a minimum of 100mm mounted 100mm away from walls and ceiling, otherwise you will have only a high frequency trap. See for yourself at www.acousticmodelling.com.
    Bass traps for corners yes, I think poopot's might be going for some basic absorption at the mo. I did a very similar thing in my control room but the corner traps were much denser 

You can't see it very well in the pics but the bass traps are actually built angled so they fit in the corners properly 

@poopot nice job, very similar to how we built ours 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    At the moment if you fart in the room the echo outlasts the smell!...

these will do for cutting down some of that... 

It’s only for basic music stuff tbh... most of my day is editing video!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    So stuff arrived this arvo...

time to crack on!!!!

Bare panel

Got some white backing stuff, stapled tight:

Sheet of rs45 in da hole:

Turn it over and staple the burlap:

Trim the excess:

Turn it over and make sure it looks semi ok:

Nail the fucker to the wall in the music room:

One down, several more to go!...
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    edited June 2021
    Looks good!

I’ve always fancied having a go at making some timber “endgrain” ones like this: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/14/c5/64/14c564d3399339ea085b125cf5de059f.jpg

Not sure how much they will improve the sound, but always thought they looked really cool. Especially the raw timber ones, ie. not painted.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    That's called a Skyline Diffuser and it is scatters the sound (useful if you have flutter echos).  Diffusers generally only really work in large rooms, so no really appropriate to bedroom studios.  You should be able to get the formula to calculate the depth / layout online.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    edited June 2021
    Found one method of making them. I would probably fit them to a backing board/panel, if I ever get around to making one.

https://youtu.be/nvx5NYpDt1k
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    ^ The wood thing looks super cool, but must weigh a ton and be hard to mount?

I suppose the wood's hard surface is chosen to deliberately reflect sound. Could you make the same profile out of something lighter - but with a similar surface - to achieve the same results?

My room's 5.5x4m, but I'm still in the decorating phase and haven't pinned down the treatment options yet. Was planning some of the OP's style of panels (and a couple on the ceiling).
    edited June 2021
    goldtop said:
    ^ The wood thing looks super cool, but must weigh a ton and be hard to mount?

Those panels are hanging on two screws sticking out of the wall… they aren’t that heavy tbh… just hang them like you would hang a picture on the wall!… just make sure you have a gap behind them, they don’t sit flush to the wall…

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yup - I can see that your hessian covered ones are lightweight. Looks great, too.

It's the wooden skyline thing that looks like a test of plasterboard integrity.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    goldtop said:
    Yup - I can see that your hessian covered ones are lightweight. Looks great, too.

The weight of the Skyline would worry me (especially with my DIY skills deficit).  I have seen them moulded from other, lighter, materials but I have no idea how this impacts on performance.  My feeling is that it would be ok, as long as it's not an absorbent material, as you are looking at reflected sound (and the scattering of it).

The mineral wool absorbers are not light.  I would estimate close to 9kg each for a 1200mm x 600mm x 100mm panel with 18mm wood surround.

edited June 2021
    goldtop said:

Ha… that’s screwed into the joists… that’s about the most secure one!!!!

you could swing from those fixings…
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    All those acoustic panels, including the wood block type, look awful and are completely unacceptable in a domestic setting.  Fine in a dedicated recording studio........
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

I believe poopot's room is a dedicated music studio.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
    I approve. Great job!
    poopot said:
    goldtop said:

Ha… that’s screwed into the joists… that’s about the most secure one!!!!

you could swing from those fixings…
    I think I've seen some of those videos. ;)
    poopot, that is great progress so far.

One thing I have only just noticed in your photo is that your monitors do not look to be at ear level. Get them up! It will make a noticeable difference when the tweeters are pointing straight at your ears.
    Whistler said:
    poopot, that is great progress so far.

One thing I have only just noticed in your photo is that your monitors do not look to be at ear level. Get them up! It will make a noticeable difference when the tweeters are pointing straight at your ears.
    They are at ear level.. chair is very low!…