Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best ‘bang for the buck’ Les Paul?

What's Hot

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18376
    Cranky said:
    I have never played an LP or any copies.  But I want to play/own an LP Special with p90s, which is also one of the cheapest and lightest models.
    Try a Gibson 60's Tribute (or 50's or 70's). Cheap,even in the UK, P90's & very light. Bigsby is on a Vibramate.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2629
    edited October 2020
    ^ That's nice!  Doesn't look like it comes in TV Yellow, though. Not crazy about the Bigsby either, but it's not a deal breaker either way.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I actually like the idea of a Les Paul that isn’t a Gibson. 

The Japanese market certainly seems to be worth looking into. Are there many in the Uk or do people purchase from Japan?
  • An R7. 
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    Gibson studio, or high end Japanese, but they are hard to find. Older studios are as good as anything, there's a lot of choice
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    I'd say MIJ as well if you're not bothered about it actually saying Gibson on the headstock. Mine was so much better than a lot of Gibson guitars I've played, especially the lower end ones. I don't like the feel of the satin open pore finish on the Tributes and the Studios can look weird without binding to me. 

A used LP Classic might be worth a look though. AFAIK you can get them for £1500ish new so I imagine used would be in your budget.
  • FGN LC-10 (eg: Les Paul Custom). Fujigen built. long neck tenon. Gotoh hardware. They run a bit over a grand but there's a used one for £849 

https://www.whitstableguitars.co.uk/fujigen-fgn-lc-10-mij-2017

Not affiliated. Just a former customer.
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4670
    Cranky said:
    I have never played an LP or any copies.  But I want to play/own an LP Special with p90s, which is also one of the cheapest and lightest models.
    Not if you can find the heaviest one in the showroom.  Mine weighs 8.5lbs which is why I chose it.

In all honesty, I would suggest trying a few of the new Epis.  I got an LP Junior last week - on here, used, £220 - and I’m happy to say it’s almost as good as my Gibson LP Special in every respect.
    i am tempted to try the Epi Special to see how close it is to the Gibson and maybe sell that on.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    rlw said:
    Cranky said:
    Not if you can find the heaviest one in the showroom.  Mine weighs 8.5lbs which is why I chose it.

In all honesty, I would suggest trying a few of the new Epis.  I got an LP Junior last week - on here, used, £220 - and I’m happy to say it’s almost as good as my Gibson LP Special in every respect.
    i am tempted to try the Epi Special to see how close it is to the Gibson and maybe sell that on.
    Or if the rest of the hardware isn't a big deal to you, just get the Epiphone and then upgrade the pickups to Gibson or something similar.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    gubble said:
    Best bang for your buck is a Vintage V100.

dazzajl said:
    Best bang for buck LP is the Vintage V100, of some variety. 
    I own a Custom Shop LP but I have to agree with this.

A friend of mine had both a LP Standard and a V100, and it was theVintage that he gigged because it played and sounded better, not because he feared damage to the Gibson.
  • BoomSpike said:
    I actually like the idea of a Les Paul that isn’t a Gibson. 

The Japanese market certainly seems to be worth looking into. Are there many in the Uk or do people purchase from Japan?
    You can buy from Japan via a proxy site. But best option is either to keep an eye out here, eBay or Reverb. The quality is pretty consistent with Japanese guitars. 
    Keefy said:
    gubble said:

dazzajl said:

A friend of mine had both a LP Standard and a V100, and it was theVintage that he gigged because it played and sounded better, not because he feared damage to the Gibson.
    And I have a Vintage V75 in "Laguna Blue" that's also fantastic, at least as good as a MIM Tele and $300 cheaper.  Not an LP, but same company.
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    Keefy said:
    gubble said:

dazzajl said:

If he had to have one, it would be the Gibson, nothing else will do at the end of the day.
    Peer pressure counts for something in gig situations, its easy to bring on a sub, when you have a sub.
    Anything else, will always be a copy of a Gibson.
    Unfortunately, the name does still mean something.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • andy_k said:
    Keefy said:
    gubble said:

dazzajl said:

If he had to have one, it would be the Gibson, nothing else will do at the end of the day.
    Peer pressure counts for something in gig situations, its easy to bring on a sub, when you have a sub.
    Anything else, will always be a copy of a Gibson.
    Unfortunately, the name does still mean something.
    Nah. Bollocks. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18376
    Keefy said:
    gubble said:

dazzajl said:

Despite my mentioning Gibson's earlier, this is very much the best value answer.
    They may weigh the same as a small planet, but they are bloody good guitars, full stop.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    Vintage are doing a limited run of silverburst ones and I'm very tempted to get one - really it's the only chance of getting a half decent silverburst LP that doesn't cost the earth.
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    The current Epiphone range is awesome my Standard 60's is very much my current go to guitar - other than that a Tokai love rock they usually justify the hype imo ;)

• duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    TTBZ said:
    Vintage are doing a limited run of silverburst ones and I'm very tempted to get one - really it's the only chance of getting a half decent silverburst LP that doesn't cost the earth.
    They look cool. https://www.jhs.co.uk/vintage-25th-anniversary-series-v100-silver-burst
    Only 100 being made, grab one quick if you can.

• Yet another MIJ reccommendation. Have had several wonderful tokais and grecos but if you could score a Navigator lp with your budget you will be a hapoy, happy bunny. Worth saving up another couple 100 for imho.
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom