help me with amp sims in a pedal

What's Hot
MilkMilk Frets: 84
Ive recently discovered amp and cab sims in a pedal format and a few questions about them.

Do they work well with pedals?
can they plug into my audio interface for recording purposes?
Can i just plug headphones into one and use for practicing without pissing of the wife?
what ones to people recommend?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• normula1normula1 Frets: 639
    I have a Nux mini studio sitting at the end of a noodling pedal board. Works really well for the price. I've also got a Yerasov IRoncab that I use instead of a power amp & cab on my larger setup when I want to play silently. The plan is to hook that into my recording interface when I can be ar$ed enough to dig out a computer (have enough of those in my day job)
  • MilkMilk Frets: 84
    Thanks il look into those. im trying to clutter so the plan is a small pedal board and one of these amp on a pedal things with headphones for quick and easy messing around on a night
  • I got myself a TC electronic third dimension off someone on here. I couldn’t afford A boss dimension C . It is absolutely superb for what I like .

what is the Mimiq like? 
    isn't the mimiq for doubling your sound?
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    Mooer Radar has power amp and cab sims, I have one on the end of my board to use into a PA or interface, I have an ABY splitter in front to get a DI for one track, and pedals go through Radar for amp sound on another track.
    I haven't tried it with headphones, but it is a cool little tool.
    Thanks @andy_k in theory i could run a few pedals through it and use the mooer radar as a amp and cab sim and plug headphones in for quiet practice and then when needed run it to a interface into logic?
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    For simplicity and good sounds, I'd recommend the strymon iridium. I personally use the amplifire firebox but it is finicky to use (too many hidden and deeper functions), whereas the iridium is relatively dead simple. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    Milk said:
    Thanks @andy_k in theory i could run a few pedals through it and use the mooer radar as a amp and cab sim and plug headphones in for quiet practice and then when needed run it to a interface into logic?
    Check out some reviews, it is a nice bit of kit with a lot of uses, I try to avoid headphones as a rule, so that is down to you and your cans.
    The Radar has a pretty deep menu, allows use of your own IRs if there isn't one in there you like, and the power amp section has customisation, and can be turned off.
    It is like a little swiss army knife, and my only concern is I wish it was battery powered.
    I have mine on a board so the power comes from a brick. It sounded great through a PA as an amp alternative, and my trick of using it with a splitter allows me to get 2 takes for the price of one.
    @Branshen I've been looking at the strymon iridium, that is the only product like this that i know of. this is all new stuff to me so I'm a little lost. il look into the amplifire firebox also. as you said its more finicky but im more of a set it and leave it person anyway

@andy_k i don't think it would be played through a pa but headphones and studio monitors will be certain.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    I tried a tech 21 blonde the other day straight into a pa at a rehearsal studio.  It worked great as a pedal platform. I wasn't too keen on the drive on the tech 21 but it took my drive pedals really well and is very giggable I think
    @thomasw88 I will look into it. id probably use drive pedals anyway
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23955
    HX Stomp or the new pricier Boss unit.

Can't really go wrong these days.

I use real pedals with my Helix rack all the time. The Rack has 4 loops so I can even change the signal chain position of my real pedals in different patches without moving a single cable.

I don't know if the HX Stomp does this bit... but the bigger Helix will, by default, allow a DI signal through for recording.
    So Helix does the processing to cut down on processor load and you hear a great guitar tone... but alongside the tone you like it also allows you to record a DI signal for later reamping or using plugins.

If the Stomp can do that too - it would be a no brainer for me.
    They seem to be still pricey but what you get for the money they are a bargain. il look into them too. thank you
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    Milk said:
    @thomasw88 I will look into it. id probably use drive pedals anyway
    I should have said that the day I went to the studio I tried the tech 21  blonde, a couple valve amps into a two notes  captor X , a hx stomp and my quilter toneblock all straight to pa.  The captor got 1st  and hx stomp was 2nd to me.   But really by not much.. the tech 21 was in 3rd place and was  very good indeed. For pure simplicity it was the best option .