SORTED: pedal/power supply/amp noise issue

What's Hot
BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2218
edited October 2020 in FX
Ah, the kind of issue that occasionally makes you want to sod it all and get a Kemper...

Recently, I started getting a noise like a tiny hoover coming from my amp, and I thought it might be a tube issue, but when I plugged straight into the amp, no noise. However, it turns out that when I connect my Chase Bliss Brothers I get that unwanted sound.

The pedal chain goes Polytune Mini 3>Brothers>Rat>Jam Delay Llama Xtreme>Timeline>Big Sky, and all powered by a next-to-new Cioks DC7.

I tried going cable to Brothers to amp and powering the pedal with a spare 9V PSU and the sound went but, when I remove or plug in the Mogami instrument cable to the amp (using the silent plug) I’d get a crackling noise where normally I wouldn’t. Connect the Brothers up to the Cioks again, and the hoover-like hum sound comes back.

Does this sound like a pedal issue or am I missing something? If there’s an issue with a pedal as wonderfully complex as a Chase Bliss, I wouldn’t know where to start...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• brucegillbrucegill Frets: 712
    edited October 2020
    Hello mate. I have a Brothers if it helps? I’d be a bit buggered without it as it’s my only drive/boost but if it helps we could swap and see if the problem persists or something. 

Sounds like you have a few combinations left to try? All the power outs on the Cioks? Another decent power supply for everything? Cable to brothers to amp powered by Cioks? Sure you’ve played around though. 

Offers there mate. Just shout. 

I hear you though, my setups getting more and more complicated and a Helix/Kemper keeps sounding like an option. I’d get bored and sell it all just to start over again though
  • brucegill said:
    Hello mate. I have a Brothers if it helps? I’d be a bit buggered without it as it’s my only drive/boost but if it helps we could swap and see if the problem persists or something. 

Sounds like you have a few combinations left to try? All the power outs on the Cioks? Another decent power supply for everything? Cable to brothers to amp powered by Cioks? Sure you’ve played around though. 

I hear you though, my setups getting more and more complicated and a Helix/Kemper keeps sounding like an option. I’d get bored and sell it all just to start over again though
    Very good offer, thank you. I’ve also filmed it on my phone, but not sure how to post that here.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11872
    brucegill said:

Very good offer, thank you. I’ve also filmed it on my phone, but not sure how to post that here.
    Open a Youtube account, you can make the video Link only and not searchable should you prefer more privacy. 
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • keirkeir Frets: 137
    There is a Chase Bliss users group on Facebook and also you can email Chase Bliss direct, they are very helpful. 
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
  • keir said:
    There is a Chase Bliss users group on Facebook and also you can email Chase Bliss direct, they are very helpful. 
    Thanks, will give that a go. The input and output jacks were a bit loose so I’ve tightened them by hand, not sure that will do anything. No noise with the pedal on its own charged with the 9V PSU I got with my Timeline.
  • keirkeir Frets: 137
    Try turning down the grit on the timeline, I read somewhere that that can cause issues with noise with some pedals 
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
  • After a lot of connecting, disconnecting, reconnecting, pedal order changing, messing around with cables, changing power supply...

... I’m still not sure, but the noise only seems to happen when both the Big Sky and Polytune Mini 3 are on the board. Remove the tuner or the Big Sky, no noise. Haven’t tried a different amp yet, but it sounds fine enough (bit of faint hissy white noise, though), but I’m pretty sure it’s the tuner, Big Sky, the Cioks DC7 or a combination of some/all of them that’s causing this omnifuckery. Jesus. This close to getting a multiFX or taking up the Hungarian nose flute instead.
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    It is worth tightening the nuts on the jacks properly as a loose jack socket can let noise in.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • Fez said:
    It is worth tightening the nuts on the jacks properly as a loose jack socket can let noise in.
    The left output jack on the Big Sky felt a bit loose, now tightened it, will test when I get a chance.

• SORTED! Thank feck for that, was going spare. Turns out the excess hiss/white noise was coming from the Jam Delay Llama Xtreme, but only when it was in trails/buffered mode. Switch to no trails/TB and there was a notable difference, just normal to-be-expected levels of amp/pedalboard/power supply. I don’t know if any other DLX owners have found this, but trails mode makes it pretty hissy, whether the pedal is engaged or not. A fantastic pedal otherwise, though. Very relieved that it’s sorted, though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Also thanks to @meltedbuzzbox for putting up with a wideish range of sounds clips of various levels of hissing. I’ll make an album of them one day.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom