Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Someone talk me out of getting a HX Stomp

What's Hot
tone1tone1 Frets: 5140
Help...I’ve been looking at the HX Stomp as I’m bored of looking at pedals..... I hate digitally/USB/menus/scrolling etc but it would fit on my Smorgboard Ace and put an end to fannying about looking at Modulation and Delay Pedals.....Somebody stop me before it’s too late  :#
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• brucegillbrucegill Frets: 712
    If you don’t like menus, walk away.....

ive got a lovely Polymoon just gone up for sale along with a Gravitas :) 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • razorblade_beatrazorblade_beat Frets: 56
    edited October 2020
    I've always disliked line 6 over the years but after hearing a helix in action I was intrigued and bought a stomp since i can't plug my amp in in the house. It's pretty powerful and intuitive. I really like some of the mod stuff on it, delay stuff sounds great too! im selling my mobius since the stomp had more choice and parameters to tweak in certain areas. I use the software and laptop to make patches which is super easy!. It stopped me fannying round with modulation pedals that I couldn't quite connect with!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Pedals might not be as versatile as the Stomp but I reckon they're more fun.
    I always get option paralysis with digital gear.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    Get one second hand. It's a Swiss army knife, and very easy to get used to the UI. If you don't like it , sell it second hand for the same price you paid. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2319
    I'm selling if you want to scratch that itch.  I think they're great I just have gas for a new amp!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5140
    That’s my fear with the Stomp...I really want my guitar playing to be technology free..and I know I won’t use a fraction of what it can do....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9504
    They are a delight to use I think... i love that coloured screen and interface 
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3961
    I love my HX Stomp. I have never liked menus or multi effects but I get on fine with this. Also, if you don’t like menus it’s really easy to edit on your computer with HX Edit. It’s great for just effects in front of an amp, but the amp sims are fantastic if you record or just want to practice with some headphones.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    You lot aren’t helping....so it’s about 50/50 split  :s
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    "option paralysis" is such nonsense. The time you apparently save by not fiddling, you spend looking for more pedals on eBay and plumbing and re-plumbing them into your pedalboard. Let's not kid ourselves that the only barrier between you and playing more guitar is dialing in a sound on technology less than 60 years old.

Just find a sound in the HX and use it. If you don't want to spend time fiddling, then don't. If you don't like the idea of a HX Stomp and want people to talk you out of it, then don't buy one.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • JotaJota Frets: 463
    Are you gonna use it with a real amp? Don't buy it. It changes your tone a lot. You can make it better with the Global EQ but I'd recommend the Boss MS-3 instead. Great buffers that slightly change the sound for better. Easier to work also since you have less fx and more switches.
    If you want to use the Helix amps, get the Stomp. They sound fantastic.

I had the MS-3 and now own the Stomp because I use the Helix amps a lot but, when using real amps, sometimes I just unplug the Stomp.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    Jota said:
    Are you gonna use it with a real amp? Don't buy it. It changes your tone a lot. 
    Use mine with a real amp. Get a buffer in front and doesn't change the tone anymore than any other pedal ....
    All interesting stuff...yes it’ll be used with an amp but I wouldn’t rule out some powered speakers later. Really I’m just looking to fill a space where I can throw a rarely used effect in or delay. Take the recent passing of EVH.... I’ve thought a flanger or phaser would be good for having a crack at a part. Any small footprint alternatives worth a mention? 
    Yes I could just buy one and suck it see.... but I like hearing opinions first... :)
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2891
    I'd get one, they're great! Not difficult to use at all, the menu system is very intuitive and I didn't need to look at the manual once when I had mine. Keep thinking of getting one again as they're so useful either as a multifx or as a complete direct to PA rig replacement, headphone amp for silent playing etc.
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    sgosden said:
    Get one second hand. It's a Swiss army knife, and very easy to get used to the UI. If you don't like it , sell it second hand for the same price you paid. 

Exactly this ^^^

I bought mine second hand thinking I wouldn't like it, now it's firmly on the board with an MC6 controller. Not going anywhere for the foreseeable.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    tone1 said:
    ..... I hate digitally/USB/menus/scrolling etc
    You don`t need us!

Not only is there this to deal with, but to make it sound neutral without the amp and cab modelling being used, you have to further fiddle with the global EQ etc............ Mine went back. 

If you really want a Helix for FX, personally I`d go for the HX version, as that did sound fine just plugged into an amp. But of course you lose the smaller form factor.

Good luck!

• DaiganzenDaiganzen Frets: 101
    As a HX-Stomp owner and user It quickly became the center of my guitar rig to a point that I barley use an amp live (pre - Covid) Easier to move about and great sound no matter where i was playing. The FX a top notch and very usable in and out of the studio/bedroom studio. All you need to do is learn the technology a little bit. It also has a great Desktop application. so you don't have to constantly be touching the unit to work with it.
  • JotaJota Frets: 463
    sgosden said:
    Jota said:
    Are you gonna use it with a real amp? Don't buy it. It changes your tone a lot. 
    Use mine with a real amp. Get a buffer in front and doesn't change the tone anymore than any other pedal ....

Even with a buffer in front, it didn't help.
    Also, I've read that before but, why would you need a buffer befor it?!
  • Sorry for fueling the fire here. I struggled with an L6 M13 many years ago. I vowed to never use multi fx again. Bought a Stomp during the worst of the pandemic. I sold off my entire pedalboard a few weeks later. It’s stopped me buying other stuff. Mine sounds great through my Princeton, headphones or monitors. I may get lolled for this but I think the amps and cabs sound great on their own without adding additional IR’s. Just be sensible with the gain and volume of the amp models. I exclusively use the Deluxe Reverb model and it sounds great! Just remember to start simple and read that manual.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1 said:
    All interesting stuff...yes it’ll be used with an amp but I wouldn’t rule out some powered speakers later. Really I’m just looking to fill a space where I can throw a rarely used effect in or delay. Take the recent passing of EVH.... I’ve thought a flanger or phaser would be good for having a crack at a part. Any small footprint alternatives worth a mention? 
    Yes I could just buy one and suck it see.... but I like hearing opinions first... :)
    Save yourself a lot of money and grab a line 6 m5
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.