Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Someone talk me out of getting a HX Stomp

What's Hot

Comments

• I bought a Stomp at the start of lockdown and found it sounded great. Eventually though I found the lack of available blocks and the three footswitches limiting. I did add a midi controller and expression pedal but then that kind of defeated the object of its small size and cheaper cost.

I now have a LT.

Both sound great through headphones or FRFR speaker.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5157
    tone1 said:
    All interesting stuff...yes it’ll be used with an amp but I wouldn’t rule out some powered speakers later. Really I’m just looking to fill a space where I can throw a rarely used effect in or delay. Take the recent passing of EVH.... I’ve thought a flanger or phaser would be good for having a crack at a part. Any small footprint alternatives worth a mention? 
    Yes I could just buy one and suck it see.... but I like hearing opinions first... :)
    Save yourself a lot of money and grab a line 6 m5
    I was a bit addicted to the M- series and have had multiple M5, M9 and M13 units....Maybe another M9.....  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    I have a love/hate relationship with the M series! 
    Sounds wise they were spot on (bar a bit of dry tone altering with the M9). 
    But fuck the reliability was a gamble!  
  • sgosden said:
    I have a love/hate relationship with the M series! 
    Sounds wise they were spot on (bar a bit of dry tone altering with the M9). 
    But fuck the reliability was a gamble!  
    my m9 felt bullet proof.

I have heard the switches can be a bit of a pain on them though. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    Had mine for about 18 months now and I wouldn’t be without it. I spend a minimal amount of time setting it up, only really use a few amps but it’s nice to know the others are there if/when I want a different sound.
    Biggest bonus for me is using it as an interface for my pc, so I can record/play over guitar pro/backing tracks. 

I’ve also used it live straight to pa and into an amp, it just does it all! 

Definatly no regrets, just get one!
  • Interestingly I'm trying to talk myself out of downsizing from a Helix to the HX Stomp. I only use a handful of presets that I've made on it, and most of those are fairly straight-forward so I think I could manage to use them with a Stomp as well. The main thing I'd miss would be the expression pedal and scribble strips, plus I could see myself wanting to add a Morningstar MC-6 at some point too... but by the time I've done that I may as well stick with the Helix though :lol: 

As the others have said, just buy a used one and see how you get on with it. The modelling is of superb quality, and while it might help to use your laptop to get the presets dialled in easier, once that's done it's pretty much set & forget.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    edited October 2020
    Buy my delay pedal instead. And some modulations pedals. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24269
    tone1 said:
    That’s my fear with the Stomp...I really want my guitar playing to be technology free..and I know I won’t use a fraction of what it can do....
    Because valves and pickups and electricity aren't "technology"?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    You don’t have to use it all. Some of my favourite patches are just an amp, a boost and a cab. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Bought one yet @tone1 ? :)
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
    edited October 2020
    Talking of L6 any idea when the v3.0 firmware update is going to happen? really could do with those extra two blocks.
  • JMS96JMS96 Frets: 137
    Love the Stomp. I put it on a pedalboard, but really struggling to know what else to put on it because the Stomp really has everything I need. Hated digital and menus before but picked it up very quickly. I now use a whole range of features I never thought I would - wet/dry? I generally use it only for pedals and 6 blocks plenty. Like others have said - keep it simple.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24269
    Talking of L6 any idea when the v3.0 firmware update is going to happen? really could do with those extra two blocks.
    Nope.

And anyone that tells you different is telling porkies.

Helix head honcho Eric @Digital_Igloo is a member of this forum and all you get out of the L6 guys is "when it's ready."

Count yourself lucky. Us bassists never get excited about firmware updates!
    edited October 2020
    PC_Dave said:
    Bought one yet @tone1 ?
    Not yet.... I’ll pontificate for ages as is usually the case with me...

edit... it’s a miracle I’ve bought anything or had kids.....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    The idea of not faffing around with patch cables and trouble shooting afterwards is very attractive. I've got no real pedal board at the moment, and I'm not sure i can be arsed to put another one together. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • DrJazzTap said:
    The idea of not faffing around with patch cables and trouble shooting afterwards is very attractive. I've got no real pedal board at the moment, and I'm not sure i can be arsed to put another one together. 
    This is why I hated my pedalboard.. I now have no noise, no stupid patch cables and no more wrestling  with heavy duty velcro
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    builttospill said: no more wrestling  with heavy duty velcro
    Just how weak are you? 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    So, I’m still looking at the stomp... new price about £399 and actually one retailer selling for £389 obviously with 12 months warranty brand new...just looking at some used prices for either more than retail and some just about £30 less than retail with no warranty...not sure I want to spend nearly £400 on one, but then 2nd hand prices are crazy too....  :s
  • Given the mental second hand prices I'd buy new, myself. 
  • SRD81SRD81 Frets: 310
    I got a Stomp on the forum a couple of months back and it’s revolutionised my playing. I got some headphones with it and downloaded the M. Britt presets, which are brilliant too.

As a result I simply play guitar more often. One press of a switch and I have sounds I’m really happy with through a range of classic amps that I can play silently.

Best bit of kit I’ve bought this year I reckon.